Blood Tests - Football ??

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
No tA Doctor

Re: Blood Tests - Football ??

Postby No tA Doctor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:07 pm

dougzz wrote:Simples. The more money in a sport the more likely there is doping. Football, Tennis, Golf, MLB, NFL, and NBA.

An important factor, true, but the entire equation includes how much sporting advantage there is to gain, how much there is to lose if caught, how likely it is to get caught, that there are established pathways to doping (e.g. through "grey areas" of medical practice, staff that act as enablers etc.) and not least the prevailing culture within the sport.

That certainly doesn't suggest any of the sports you name aren't likely to be dirty as hell though. Football is massively at risk, it ticks all the boxes.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

dougzz

Postby dougzz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:42 pm

I know for you the right side of North London is the wrong side but did you notice the recent fuss about Defoe and the blood spinning, can you imagine if this was a cyclist. Mention of growth hormone and spinning alone would have people reaching for pitch forks. http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/190803.html#

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 17:36 pm

dougzz wrote:I know for you the right side of North London is the wrong side but did you notice the recent fuss about Defoe and the blood spinning, can you imagine if this was a cyclist. Mention of growth hormone and spinning alone would have people reaching for pitch forks. http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/190803.html#

I did see that, yes.

To be honest, if it's genuine medical treatment I don't have an issue with it. It's pretty much only because it involves taking a very small amount of blood out of the body and putting it back in again that it even raises an eyebrow. I don't think it would confer any performance improvement on a healthy athlete (I'll happily listen to other opinion, I'm no expert) so it doesn't worry me at all.

PS - the only way NE London is the "right" side of London is if you're talking about where it is on a map ;-)
PPS - Spurs were in Middlesex when they were founded, it was only the redrawing of the London boundaries that brought them inside!
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

Return to “Pro Race”