Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:01 pm

Are we seriously having this conversation. Your first paragraph is inaccurate but if it makes you happy to believe it, I am glad for you.
Contador is the Greatest

User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:02 pm

Contador is the Greatest

User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:04 pm

frenchfighter wrote:
Lightning wrote:
emadden wrote:Terrible victory salute :shock:

Agreed. Even worse in slow motion.


Don't see anything wrong with it. Pretty standard if understandably energetic. His first big win with the big boys (other than Tour de l'Ain) and Garmin's first win.


Image
Image
Image
Contador is the Greatest

User avatar
DeadCalm
Posts: 2031
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 09:15 am

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby DeadCalm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:10 pm

mroli wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:Talansky is an emerging heavyweight. Rides with some class too.

Only one person picked him for "overall" on the PTP though *whistles*...

Erm, cough. You mean I was the only one?

User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:11 pm

FJS wrote:Gesink lost a minute on a descent in the rain. What a suprise :roll: . There goes my PTP :(

Kelderman, Montfort and Menchov also losing a minute, Basso almost 3 minutes


Gesink has balls though and knows how to race. He has had many unpleasan crashes and I am sure his dad's death weighs heavily on him. He will attack later if he has the legs and he will have no problems doing it solo. Proper racer.

Unfortunate for Basso to have a mechanical and lose contact just as Sky (coincidentally?) used their diesels to make a selection.
Contador is the Greatest

Richmond Racer
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:17 pm

frenchfighter wrote:
FJS wrote:Gesink lost a minute on a descent in the rain. What a suprise :roll: . There goes my PTP :(

Kelderman, Montfort and Menchov also losing a minute, Basso almost 3 minutes


Gesink has balls though and knows how to race. He has had many unpleasan crashes and I am sure his dad's death weighs heavily on him. He will attack later if he has the legs and he will have no problems doing it solo. Proper racer.

Unfortunate for Basso to have a mechanical and lose contact just as Sky (coincidentally?) used their diesels to make a selection.



What actually happened was a Sky rider asking him if he'd run out of cheese and chorizo rolls

User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:19 pm

Are you bitter about Basso because he is pretty, classy and has brilliant results? You seem to hate him more than most.
Contador is the Greatest

User avatar
LutherB
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 16:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby LutherB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:23 pm

Nah, he's a cheat like all them other pretty, classy result-getting cheats

User avatar
nic_77
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 21:17 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby nic_77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:25 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Are you bitter about Basso because he is pretty, classy and has brilliant results? You seem to hate him more than most.

No, guess what, I'm with RR too
BASSO IS A CHEAT, therefore all of his results and style are absolutely irrelevant.

Turfle
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 13:12 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby Turfle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:26 pm

Good stage that. Love a stage that finishes 5 to 10k after a reasonably hard climb; they always seem to produce exciting chases.

Shame Kiryienka went down when he did. Add him to that group and that 7 seconds would have been a fair bit more I reckon.

User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8757
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby disgruntledgoat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:31 pm

nic_77 wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:Are you bitter about Basso because he is pretty, classy and has brilliant results? You seem to hate him more than most.

No, guess what, I'm with RR too
BASSO IS A CHEAT, therefore all of his results and style are absolutely irrelevant.


At least Basso did his time. No problem with him.

Gesink comes out to play for the Tour of California every year then fails to live up to his promise the rest of the time.

I like Talansky as a rider, despite the fact that even his boss thinks he's a tool.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:38 pm

Harsh on Gesink. Check out his wins over the years. Classy the lot of them. And provides good entertainment during the stages.
Contador is the Greatest

User avatar
emadden
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby emadden » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:43 pm

frenchfighter wrote:
Lightning wrote:
emadden wrote:Terrible victory salute :shock:

Agreed. Even worse in slow motion.


Don't see anything wrong with it. Pretty standard if understandably energetic. His first big win with the big boys (other than Tour de l'Ain) and Garmin's first win.


But you didnt watch it, right?

The "flailling arm salute" doesnt quite work when a rider has arms like anorexic matchsticks :D A single punch to the air would have had more panache instead of looking like Jim Henson is pulling strings :lol: :lol: Yes, he was excited, nay thrilled - but the salute left him down :lol: :lol: :lol: (note: before people jump down my throat - dont take this seriously)
**************************************************
www.dotcycling.com
***************************************************

User avatar
nic_77
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 21:17 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby nic_77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:45 pm

disgruntledgoat wrote:
nic_77 wrote:No, guess what, I'm with RR too
BASSO IS A CHEAT, therefore all of his results and style are absolutely irrelevant.


At least Basso did his time. No problem with him.

Some logic to that approach, still not something I agree with, owing to his cowardly acceptance - it seems to me that the more style a racer has, the less classy they are as a person.

Out of interest, and without malice, (and I appreciate I'm way of topic on a racing thread) can you comfortably apply your position to other high profile dopers who have also served bans:
Virenque
Pantani
Millar
Contador
Vinokourov
All of whom handled their own situation slightly differently?

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby ThomThom » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:52 pm

What a race.

And smart move by Sky to make Kiryienka fall creating a decisive gap ;)

User avatar
inkyfingers
Posts: 4420
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 16:15 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby inkyfingers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:53 pm

ThomThom wrote:What a race.

And smart move by Sky to make Kiryienka fall creating a decisive gap ;)


He would have known when he signed for Sky that he would sometimes be expected to sacrifice himself for others :wink:
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8757
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby disgruntledgoat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:57 pm

nic_77 wrote:
disgruntledgoat wrote:
nic_77 wrote:No, guess what, I'm with RR too
BASSO IS A CHEAT, therefore all of his results and style are absolutely irrelevant.


At least Basso did his time. No problem with him.

Some logic to that approach, still not something I agree with, owing to his cowardly acceptance - it seems to me that the more style a racer has, the less classy they are as a person.

Out of interest, and without malice, (and I appreciate I'm way of topic on a racing thread) can you comfortably apply your position to other high profile dopers who have also served bans:
Virenque
Pantani
Millar
Contador
Vinokourov
All of whom handled their own situation slightly differently?



Virenque- Did a ban, no problem with him
Pantani- Never positive for any drug. Did the bans handed to him. Destroyed himself. Feel bad for him
Millar- Did his ban, no problem with him
Contador- Got a backdated ban. Think he got less than he deserved. Think he's shifty, can't prove anything, can't argue with his right to race
Vino- As Contador. Did his ban, angry at his lack of repentence but can't argue with his right to race.

Let me clarify slightly: The rules do not require a rider to show a minimum level of contrition, to make public (or be truthful in their public pronouncements) any information they may have passed on in private hearings, to go out of their way to prove they're outlandishly clean on their return. I may wish them to do those things, but it doesn't effect their standing under the rules.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

User avatar
Blazing Saddles
Posts: 7723
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 13:11 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby Blazing Saddles » Wed Mar 06, 2013 17:11 pm

Talansky panache?
More like: "Who Dares Wins"....................in reverse.
Wheel sucked all the way, using that "standard racing tactic"
that so often screws up the lead group.

Embarrassing salute, too.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

User avatar
ThomThom
Posts: 3481
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby ThomThom » Wed Mar 06, 2013 17:23 pm

Christ, 'wheel sucking' is really a phrase that should be heading for the bin.

Talansky did exactly what he needed to do. Sky had one thing in mind - to get Porte as many seconds as possible. They had two riders in that group to achieve that meaning they had to take most of the responsibility to make it flow (which I think they did).

Turfle
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 13:12 pm

Re: Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Postby Turfle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 17:44 pm

I don't quite get why he refused to ride with Porte to bridge the gap though. I'm not buying that he wanted Lopez to drop from the front group to help Porte; that is too advanced a tactic I think.


Return to “Pro Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bluemoon17, ducknumber1, Joelsim, JSCL, RichN95 and 11 guests