Caveat Emptor - 2005 Dawes Ultra Galaxy from Evans

Where the wild things are...
newbiecp

Postby newbiecp » Thu Jun 21, 2007 18:32 pm

I was burnt in a similar fashion with a 2005 Audax that I bought from the cycle shop up at Wombwell - the spec was different and lower to the one on the Dawes website and as far as I am aware it was the same season model. As above, different rims and a Viper saddle rather than a rolls. I think there were some other changes too. It was still a good price for a 631 frame and 105 (mainly) kit, but I will not bother with another Dawes again as I won't trust their advertised spec.

---------------------------------------------------

<font size="1">for a forum with an old fashioned Classified section, go here [:)]</font id="size1">

smithers

Postby smithers » Thu Jun 21, 2007 18:36 pm

I don't know what planet Dawes were on when they did the photo shoot for the advert in this month's C+ - Look at the position of the saddle in relation to the bars on their "Audax Sport" model - looks highly comfortable for all day riding [:0]

I love my '05 Audax but I have to say that despite it being the largest size available they had cut the steerer too short for the type of bike it is mean't to be and I've had to fit an adjustable stem (which is fine). I think they did something different on next years model to alleviate the problem.

Their sporty range has all been dumbed down and lost Carbon forks and half decent groupsets, looks like a big cost saving exercise [V]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Porridge will overcome!

Nigeyy

Postby Nigeyy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 18:55 pm

To me it's simple then; Evans are at fault. They're trying to sell something claiming it's not (i.e. using Dawes 2007 specs for a 2005 bike?). Since they obviously take a cut (why else would they sell an item) they also have a responsibility to inform the buyer of what they are buying. It appears to me they failed there. Arguably components make up 50% of a bicycle, so I don't think this is trivial.

Even assuming if Dawes suddenly started fobbing off Evans halfway through flogging the bikes to them, I still think it's up to Evans to make right to the consumer (Evans separately then has to take this up with Dawes, and not let it slide down to the consumer, again, it's part of the responsibility of being a retailer IMHO). Just reading between the lines here though, I have a feeling Evans knew all along -deep discounting often doesn't come without a price or reason.

I definitely agree that Dawes should be fulfilling the specs provided to Evans (and this of course is assuming they provided 2007-like specs for 2005 bikes, which may not be true anyway, we just don't know). Regardless to me however, it's still the responsibility of Evans to stand by what they advertize, and to make sure they are selling what they Dawes claim they gave them.

I most completely understand your feelings if you bought the bike and it did not have the specs as *advertized by Evans or the seller* -but still, I fail to see how Dawes is at fault here. They manufactured a bike, they built it with certain components, and then someone else tries to sell it advertizing different components or from a different bicycle model year? If this is the case, all the blame and shame surely lies squarely on Evans then!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Houlie</i>

My understanding is thus; Evans have advertised the original spec, as set by Dawes. Somewhere in the model run, Dawes have changed the spec. Evans have continued with the original spec in the advert.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Fight Cystic Fibrosis: do something. http://www.cycleforhaylee.org http://www.cff.org

Chris James

Postby Chris James » Thu Jun 21, 2007 20:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by newbie</i>

I was burnt in a similar fashion with a 2005 Audax that I bought from the cycle shop up at Wombwell - the spec was different and lower to the one on the Dawes website and as far as I am aware it was the same season model. As above, different rims and a Viper saddle rather than a rolls. I think there were some other changes too. It was still a good price for a 631 frame and 105 (mainly) kit, but I will not bother with another Dawes again as I won't trust their advertised spec.

<font size="1">for a forum with an old fashioned Classified section, go here [:)]</font id="size1">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

To be fair ro dawes, my Audax 06 was advertised with 9 speed 105 but came with 10 speed so they do spec up as well as down.

Houlie

Postby Houlie » Thu Jun 21, 2007 21:02 pm

It looks like my e-mail to Evans has already elicited a response on their website. I have just checked it and saw the following;

Reynolds 853 Tig welded compact frame
Butted CroMoly fork
Shimano 105 triple chainset
Shimano Tiagra front / XT rear derailleurs
Shimano 105 STI shifters
Avid Shorty 4 brakes with Shimano 105 levers
Shimano XT hubs (as this is now an old bike we have had some bikes supplied by Dawes with Shimano LX hubs)
Mavic T221 rims (as this is now an old bike we have had some bikes supplied by Dawes with Rigida Nova rims)
Schwalbe Marathon Slick tyres (as this now an old bike we have had some bikes supplied by Dawes with Continental Country tyres)
ITM Kero III bar
ITM forged stem
Selle San Marco Rolls saddle (as this is now an old bike we have had some bikes supplied by Dawes with a Viper saddle)
(Please note that specifications are subject to change by the supplier without prior notice. If you would like to confirm the specification of you bike please feel free to call us)

So, full marks to Evans for a swift response :0)

My job is done.

Tony Houlihan
Westmorland
England

strofiwimple

Postby strofiwimple » Thu Jun 21, 2007 23:30 pm

Many thanks to Vernonlevy and Houlie, i was beginning to feel a bit of a fraud! Cycling is my relax from my other sports amd i am so glad to hear you say i can pootle on as i am.

If i can equate it to my main sport of badminton- there are tons of racquets recommended by the stars but they could beat me with a frying pan!! i will "carry on regardless" to quote the beautiful south till i have probs.

ps thanks for the tips- i have a spoke key and will carry some spare spokes for my pootle from inverness to glasgow.

forever on the magic roundabout

Nigeyy

Postby Nigeyy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 14:41 pm

Now that's better from Evans -I think your diligence has paid off. Made me think of a couple of other questions:

i. could you call up Evans and ask them to get you a bike with the better specs? (imagining an Evans employee going through bike boxes in a warehouse at the moment). I'm not sure they would, but you never know!

ii. And has anyone received these bikes from Evans with the better spec? Just curious.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Houlie</i>

It looks like my e-mail to Evans has already elicited a response on their website. I have just checked it and saw the following;

Reynolds 853 Tig welded compact frame
Butted CroMoly fork
Shimano 105 triple chainset
Shimano Tiagra front / XT rear derailleurs
Shimano 105 STI shifters
Avid Shorty 4 brakes with Shimano 105 levers
Shimano XT hubs (as this is now an old bike we have had some bikes supplied by Dawes with Shimano LX hubs)
Mavic T221 rims (as this is now an old bike we have had some bikes supplied by Dawes with Rigida Nova rims)
Schwalbe Marathon Slick tyres (as this now an old bike we have had some bikes supplied by Dawes with Continental Country tyres)
ITM Kero III bar
ITM forged stem
Selle San Marco Rolls saddle (as this is now an old bike we have had some bikes supplied by Dawes with a Viper saddle)
(Please note that specifications are subject to change by the supplier without prior notice. If you would like to confirm the specification of you bike please feel free to call us)

So, full marks to Evans for a swift response :0)

My job is done.

Tony Houlihan
Westmorland
England
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Fight Cystic Fibrosis: do something. http://www.cycleforhaylee.org http://www.cff.org

Return to “Tour & Expedition”