Water Ingress on Scott CR1

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Wamas

Water Ingress on Scott CR1

Postby Wamas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 21:03 pm

Hi,

I have recently noticed (now that I have started riding my CR1 in the wet) that I have a build-up of water in the frame. Being carbon, I don't want to drill a drain hole. I assumed this was entering down the seat tube, so turned the seat clamp slightly, and put electrical tape round the seat tube split to prevent water entering there. After a pretty wet ride at the weekend there, I noticed that water had still made its way in to the frame. Any similar experiences and more importantly solutions?

Thanks.

rozzer32

Re: Water Ingress on Scott CR1

Postby rozzer32 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Have a look at the bottom of the seat tube where it connects to the BB. You'll probably find a little hole. If you take your rear wheel out you will probably see it. I have one on my Scott Addict. I just covered it with electrical tape. I didn't see any purpose for it except for letting water in.
**** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2011 *****

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:22 pm

surely thats the drain hole for exaclty that purpose no?

A tip for water not going in the seat tube, take the post out, cut a length of old inner tube about an inch long thread it over the top of the seat tube, then put your seat post back in and then once done back up roll the innertube back up over the join then you have a watertight seal covering it.

freddiegrubb

Postby freddiegrubb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:40 pm

Any holes in a carbon frame will probably be to allow any expanding air out as the frame is being cured in the heating process.

rozzer32

Postby rozzer32 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:11 pm

mallorcajeff wrote:surely thats the drain hole for exaclty that purpose no?

A tip for water not going in the seat tube, take the post out, cut a length of old inner tube about an inch long thread it over the top of the seat tube, then put your seat post back in and then once done back up roll the innertube back up over the join then you have a watertight seal covering it.

No as it above the BB. A drain hole is at the bottom of the frame to "drain" water. As this hole is above the BB it just means water collects around the BB, not where you want it to gather.
**** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2011 *****

Return to “Workshop”