Changing brakes has become too scientific

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Melter

Changing brakes has become too scientific

Postby Melter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 09:27 am

I have a Z85 Felt, it has 105 (2011 I think) apart from the brakes which are Felt's own brand. I would like to change them to ideally second hand ultegras, but it doesn't seem to be as simple as I was hoping.
As I started looking I found talk of varying groupset numbers, lever pull ratios and reach lengths...I'm so confused now, is it really this complicated?... :(

nweststeyn

Re: Changing brakes has become too scientific

Postby nweststeyn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 09:31 am

No. Ultegra will work. The lever pull relates to your levers, which are Shimano 105 by the sound of it. These will be fine. Reach length refers to the length of the arms of the brake caliper... some bikes - those which have clearance for mudguards, for example - require the arms to be slightly longer for the pads to reach the rim. I'm pretty sure your Felt is not one of these so you don't require 'long drop' brakes. If you want your mind to be put at rest then post a picture of your existing brakes here along with a measurement of the overall height of the brake and someone will confirm its a 'standard' drop.

Melter

Postby Melter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 09:35 am

Yes, the reach is certainly not long I'm pretty sure, there's barely room between the tyre and roof of the caliper.
so any short reach ultegra calipers will be ok with 105 2011 levers?

nweststeyn

Postby nweststeyn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 am

With the levers, yes.

With the frame is another question - as I said, i should THINK that short reach will do but you should measure the arms of the caliper and perhaps take a look here to confirm what you need...

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-calipers.html

Melter

Postby Melter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 am

Excellent, thank you

Return to “Workshop”