Condor Cycles Advice

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
stot

Condor Cycles Advice

Postby stot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am

Good morning,

Firstly I'm new here so fingers crossed I've posted this in the right place!

I just wanted some advice on an issue that I'm having with Condor Cycles. Basically I purcahsed a Condor Italia bike (Aluminium frame) from them 2 years are 3 months ago. The other week I noticed an issue with the bike and took it in to my local independent bike shop. What they noticed (and I didnt) was that the frame was cracked. Basically where the top tube enters the bottom bracket there was a massive crack in the frame. The crack was that bad that when I put perssure through the pedal you could see a massive gap between the bottom bracket and top tube. The guy in the independent bike shop advised me that they should just replace the frame as it was clearly faulty.

I took it in to Condor cycles and they have told me that the frame cracked due to me not looking after the bike properly, and that because i didnt wash it every 2 weeks that the frame had corroded and that is why it has cracked. I do generally look after the bike, but do not wash it that often! Condor have informed me that they will give me some money off a new frame (circa £200 all dependent on what frame I choose), but that they will also charge me £100 to move all the components over. I have tried arguing with them that it's not my fault and that aluminium should not corrode but to no avail.

i have left the bike in the shop whilst I make up my mind what to do. Am not sure that I want to give them any more money, considering the frame is only 3 months out of warranty! I might as well cut my losses and buy something else rather than buy what, is in my opinion, a poorly built frame.

Has anyone had any similar issues, there seem to be a fair amount of info on google about cracked Condor frames, but do you think i should fight it, or just give it up as a bad experience? It felt as though they have had that argument several times and were quite well versed in their reply. I have not had any other problems like this previously (as I have not had any other frames crack funnily enough) so any advice would be welcome. I did naively think that paying over the odds in Condor (everything is generally more expensive in that shop) would pay dividends, but the cracked frame and poor customer service is making me feel like I've made a bad decision.

HELP!

Lantern-Vert

Re: Condor Cycles Advice

Postby Lantern-Vert » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am

Condor Cycles - The Marmite of the cycling world!

Think you'd better speak to a Citizens Advice office or someone who deals with consumer affairs to find out what your legal options are, if you have any.

Did they seriously tell you that the frame cracked because you didn't wash it!?!?!? :shock:

They may just refuse to budge about the warrenty and you may have to put it down to experience.

stot

Postby stot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for your reply,

Yep they told me that as I didnt wash the bike every 1 to 2 weeks that the water had corroded the frame and caused it to crack! So far, they have refused to budge so it's looking like I'll have to stomach it.

2 years and 3 months is not long enough for a bike that cost me £1550 all in!

stot

Postby stot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 am

Just had a call from Condor and they are saying that they will replace the frame. Am going in there on Friday to discuss it in more detail..... Gratefully it would seem as though they have had a change of heart.

Lantern-Vert

Postby Lantern-Vert » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 am

Well done for keeping at them and credit where credit is due to them for doing the decent thing.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:16 pm

You have been lucky if they replace the frame...
Aluminium frames do tend to crack over time, it is normal. Some brands offer lifetime warranty, other don't and where they do, there are always catches. In fairness, I sympathise with Condor... people want to buy aluminium because it's lighter and cheaper than steel, but then they want their frame to last forever... there is always a price to pay.
As for the corrosion, you were misinformed, aluminium does corrode, just at a slower rate than steel under the same conditions.
Maybe two years is a bit too soon, but alloy frames that live 5 years is kind of average

keef66

Postby keef66 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:28 pm

And I doubt the corrosion occurred where the top tube meets the bottom bracket... :D

stot

Postby stot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks, yep it seems like they have had a change of heart which is a good thing. I'm back in there on Friday so will post an update with how I get on just to ensure a fully balanced view is given.

stot

Postby stot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:56 pm

keef66 wrote:And I doubt the corrosion occurred where the top tube meets the bottom bracket... :D

Yep, good point. It's where the tube with the seat post in it reaches the bottom bracket. Explanation fail, I should know all the names of things by now...

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:18 pm

I bet your bike was in a bad state for them to say that. And I bet they arent keen on putting your neglected parts on a new frame.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

stot

Postby stot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:05 pm

on-yer-bike wrote:I bet your bike was in a bad state for them to say that. And I bet they arent keen on putting your neglected parts on a new frame.

Most parts on the bike had been replaced over time to be fair, the bike had been well used but then that is what a commuting bike is all about! Hopefully there will be a good end to the story! Never had a problem like this before, hence asking for advice and its not down to a lack of bikes that I have owned...

Return to “Workshop”