Repairing split continental tyre?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
porker33

Repairing split continental tyre?

Postby porker33 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 15:07 pm

I am using Conti All seasons and have been impressed with them up to now.

This morning I seemed to have made a 5mm nick in the sidewall, the tube punctured as did the get me home spare tube as it must have crimped.

I couldn't see the actual damage until i was home.

Can I repair this or is the 300 mile tyre finished?

In the past I have put a puncture repair patch under Michelin Krylion thorn holes. thus has worked.

The Conti seems to be a type of rubber that the patch glue will not stick to?

Any thoughts on saving the tyre, or is this just a wasted effort?

Cheers.

sungod

Re: Repairing split continental tyre?

Postby sungod » Sat Dec 01, 2012 17:33 pm

if the cut is all the way through, the tube can force through the hole and puncture, may be why the spare went

if you fit the tyre and inflate, does the tube start to protrude, or does the tyre bulge at the cut at (or below) normal riding pressure?

if it does, personally i'd bin it, especially if the tyre bulges, but you could fit a tyre boot to get some more miles out of it, either improvise or use a commercial one such as... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13249
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

porker33

Postby porker33 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 17:37 pm

Tks for your thoughts...the cut is not much and barely shows on the sidewall, as it is low near the rim, which may aggravate the tube?

I tried to patch inside the tyre wall, but that was part of my problem, the puncture repair adhesive does not stick to a conti in the way it happily does on a Michelin. On that basis, i am not sure of the adhesive of a tyre boot would "take" or "hold" either.

Appreciate the suggestion, annoying to have to bin a tyre that I thought was invincible after so few miles and the first puncture I have had from a 4 seasons.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 17:45 pm

You could try a tubeless tyre patch - they are reinforced whereas regular ones aren't. Likewise, you need to abrade the inside of the tyre to get the adhesive to work properly IME. I've repaired Conti MTB tubeless tyres successfully with a patch kit.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

sungod

Postby sungod » Sat Dec 01, 2012 17:59 pm

as above, you can try different patches, or there's some stuff that rema do that allows patching things that don't work with the normal vulcanising fluid...

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/tyres-tube ... ement.html

either way, make sure you get any mould release agent off the inside of the tyre, new conti tyres always seem to have a generous coating of it
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Mad_Malx

Postby Mad_Malx » Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:32 pm

Interesting - had much the same experience with older Ultremos recently. Puncture, swapped, puncture again. Assumed I still had a shard in the tyre, so checked carefully & removed some very small shards but couldn't feel them sticking through. Another new tube, BANG! I finally realised there was a 1cm slit in in sidewall.
So three tubes before I realised the tyre was knackered.

DesWeller

Postby DesWeller » Sun Dec 02, 2012 16:13 pm

I usually support the tube in these situations by wrapping a strip of toothpaste tube a couple of times around the inner tube in the affected area.

porker33

Postby porker33 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 18:27 pm

Tks for the responses, I tried a few things today but nothing will take to the tyre lining.

I went out for a freezing 50 mile ride today, with a krylion in place of the 4 seasons......On the basis of how that rode and not wanting to have to worry about more roadside repairs for now...I have ordered a new 4 seasons tyre!

I can play around attempting to repair my "spare" 4 season another time!

cheers.

richiebones

Postby richiebones » Fri Dec 07, 2012 17:26 pm

bin the tyre, but......
the 'tyre boot' suggested above is an absolute must have for your saddle bag. a tyre wall split on a long ride is a disaster and one of those will get you home.......and is cheaper than a taxi

ADIHEAD

Postby ADIHEAD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 20:06 pm

It's good fun messing around attempting to repair tyres isn't it? However, it's unlikely you'll manage it by the sounds of it! I've spent more time that I care to admit attempting it and never managed to save one yet:-(

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » Sat Dec 08, 2012 00:03 am

I boot small cuts with a 3 inch section of old tyre, the thinner the better, and then just keep an eye out for any signs of bulging in the region of the cut. They often last long enough to wear out.
If the old tyre used for the boot is too thick, you can find the inner tube chafes through on the end of the boot after a month or two.

Return to “Workshop”