Rear Brake Nut

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
philhul

Rear Brake Nut

Postby philhul » Sun Dec 16, 2012 16:23 pm

Whilst I like riding bikes I'm not very technically minded!

I recently bought a used Colnago C50 frame off ebay but hadn't done anything with it as I was waiting for a few new parts to arrive. When trying to fit the rear brake there already seems to a nut in the bridge as the brake has to screw it. I've tried to remove the nut but it's stuck fast and I've rounded it out now. The brake is up side down after I've screwed it in so I can't use it as it is.

Have I got any options here or is the frame ruined now?

Thanks in advance.

Monty Dog

Re: Rear Brake Nut

Postby Monty Dog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 16:38 pm

It's obviously the old one stuck in there - screw a 6mm bolt in from the other side and you should be able to tap it out. They're not integral to the frame and you can get spares from your LBS
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

philhul

Postby philhul » Sun Dec 16, 2012 16:47 pm

Great I'll try that with the 6mm bolt. Was worried it might be ruined or need drilling out or something. I've got the nuts that came with my brakes so am ok for replacements.

Thanks

philhul

Postby philhul » Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:07 pm

Hi,

I'm having a go at this but am worried about damaging the frame. The screw is in as far as the nut on the other side. If I force it to keep turning will that turn the nut too? Or could the carbon crack under the strain?

Cheers
Phil

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:07 pm

If you're worried about damaging the frame, take it to your LBS but you'd have to go some to damage the frame just trying to get the old retainer out.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Return to “Workshop”