Repairing rips in tyres

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
SmoggySteve

Re: Repairing rips in tyres

Postby SmoggySteve » Sat Dec 22, 2012 00:02 am

I got Hutchinson tyres for winter use. I used the ultremo cos it was dry and reasonably warm. I personally think duranos are pretty tonk compared to others for their price. Top end I think ultremos are hard to beat for the price. 25 euros in Germany. But other than that I don't rate the rest. Contis have always been the best for wet . Only have the hutchinsons cos they came with the bike.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:25 pm

Since my last post I have experimented with repairs. This is how I have got on.

Using a marker pen, I circled the cut on the inside of the tyre. I stripped out the tyre and washed it inside and out with a mild soap. checking for any debris inside the shoulders. After leaving the tyre to dry naturally, I used a rubber based glue on the inside of the tyre on the canvas. Using the small rubber tube you get in some puncture repair kits, i smooth down the glue and remove any excess. On the outside of the tyre, I applied the same glue into the cut and then nip it shut and tie an elastic band around it to keep the cut closed. Leave for around 24 hrs and remove the band and flatten out the tyre. Check to make sure no glue has seeped out onto the surface. If so remove it with some light sand paper. i.e puncture repair kit style. Replace tyre onto a rim and inflate to around 60 psi. Visually inspect the cut and squeeze the tyre on and around where the cut was, looking for any deformation. If all is good, inflate to desired riding pressure. I usually go to around 115 psi on mine. 700 x 23 were the tyres a repaired. So far after riding in damp but not soaking conditions, I have had no problems or reopening of the cut. In fact I found another small nick on the same tyre which I repaired by deflating and filling with glue, kept on the rim. Now I cant even see where the repair was made.

I have ridden up to speeds of 35 mph on this tyre and its sound.

This is purely just as advice and anyone following it does so at their own risk.

oldwelshman

Postby oldwelshman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 20:27 pm

oscarbudgie wrote:Superglue works fine, maybe more as a filler than a fix. My tyres on winter bike have got umpteen nicks and cuts its no big deal. Ignore the drama queens on here, a few cuts won't won't kill you.

Drama queens? Well I for one prefer to have a tyre with no cuts in when I am descending over 40mph I prefer to have a bit of confidence in grip and no puncture hopefully nothing to do with being a so called drama queen. I keep tyres with splits for turbo, can't be arsed with risking crash and loosing few weeks training/racing.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Mon Dec 31, 2012 20:55 pm

Tyre has had over 200km done on it, rain and dry. Did a 43kph descent on it. Not had a problem. The interior was fine, just a cut in the rubber. Not had any more problems. All cuts seem to be holding up well. Granted, If it was a massive hole I could see light through then that would be a different story, but these are minor things. Just trying to show that just cos a tyre has superficial damage it doesnt mean its ready for the bin.

Bunneh

Postby Bunneh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 22:19 pm

Depending on the severity of the cut I tend to just take it off, put rubber cement in the hole and let it dry. If it's a big cut that's showing a bulge from the inner tube I usually bin them but sometimes if I can't afford a new tyre at the time, I'll use one I keep for such a thing. I cut a bit off the old, ruined tyre, and pop it, with some glue, into the area that's damaged. Let it dry over night and it will do the job for a short while.

If you replace your tyre every time you find a cut you'd be buying a new tyre after every ride. Oh and make sure you go over your tyres regularly, check all the cuts you see, remove any shards etc because they'll only work their way in in time and pop your tube.

Graham James Le Maitre

Postby Graham James Le Maitre » Tue Jan 01, 2013 20:03 pm

wishitwasallflat wrote:New tyre time! You can get a very very good tyre for £35 not worth taking the risk.

Totally agree, it is not worth the tube escaping from the hole and puncturing whilst going around a sharp bend. A small cut in the main tread I often repair with a small amount of Super Glue as somebody has already mentioned.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Tue Jan 01, 2013 20:08 pm

Nearly 3 weeks and plenty of miles on it and no problems so not too sure on that one. I think people throw tyres away to quickly. I am not suggesting you should try and fix a totally fragged tyre but the slightest bit of damage should not condemn a tyre to the bin. Otherwise its going to be a very expensive sport, not thats its cheap to begin with of course.

Return to “Workshop”