my rear wheel was stolen!

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
NapoleonD

Re: my rear wheel was stolen!

Postby NapoleonD » Sun Dec 30, 2012 13:43 pm

If its an ultegra set up on a Boardman it'll be 10sp.
Merlin are pretty cheap

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... ttes-road/
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

MichaelW

Postby MichaelW » Sun Dec 30, 2012 14:23 pm

Boardman Team wheels usually come with decent quality cartridge-bearing hubs such as Richey or Mavic. The Shimano ones work as well if not better. As long as the freehub fits the Shimano 10-spd spline pattern it will work.
Shimano and SRAM cassettes both fit this spline pattern.

Worn chains often slip on new cassettes. Slightly worn chains may not slip but will accelerate wear on your cassette teeth.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Sun Dec 30, 2012 14:48 pm

Well, considering he has no back wheel he can stick on anything he likes. Just so long as its a Shim/Sram fit

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:10 pm

Any cassette will do - Shimano, SRAM, Miche, Campy if used with a one of those funny adjuster things (shift mate or something but that's probably more hassle than its worth at this moment in time). Preferably not Ultegra as its rubbish as its neither here nor there.

Go for 12/23, 12/25 for all round use. Whack on 11 - 21 if you're a man.

You'll probably need a new chain to match teh new cassette - Planet X are doing Dura Ace for £20 at the mo' if that floats your boat, oitherwise KMC for £12 or so from CRC - last ages, look good, cheap.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

migrantwing

Postby migrantwing » Sun Dec 30, 2012 17:17 pm

SmoggySteve wrote:In a perfect world it would all be Campagnolo anyway.

In a perfect world, Campagnolo would be affordable :)
Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Sun Dec 30, 2012 17:24 pm

migrantwing wrote:

Another way of looking at it, is some other brands are cheap rubbish. You get what you pay for.

ADIHEAD

Postby ADIHEAD » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:23 pm

If you're really unsure about gear ration's wheels etc. Might I suggest you just take it into a reputable LBS and they'll match the wheel, chain and cassette for you. I'm guessing if you're unsure if you're running 9 or 10sp, you're probably not familiar with fitting new wheels, chains and cassettes? Seriously, it might cost you a little more but you'll get the job done well and hopefully avoid the snoberry over component choices you unfortunately get on these forums....

migrantwing

Postby migrantwing » Mon Dec 31, 2012 02:42 am

ADIHEAD wrote:and hopefully avoid the snoberry over component choices you unfortunately get on these forums....

Indeed!
Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/

philthy3

Postby philthy3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 08:14 am

SmoggySteve wrote:
migrantwing wrote:

Another way of looking at it, is some other brands are cheap rubbish. You get what you pay for.

You really are immature aren't you. :roll:

im·ma·ture [im-uh-choo r, -too r, -tyoo r, -chur] Show IPA
adjective
not mature, ripe, developed, perfected, etc.
emotionally undeveloped; juvenile; childish.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Mon Dec 31, 2012 08:26 am

Wow, I'm hurt and shocked!!

That I give my opinion (which I'm sure I'm allowed to do) Then you turn up and without offering any other advice to the original question decide to jump on my back.

And you call me immature.

Come back when you have a valid point to make or bore off.

p.s did you know what immature meant or did you have to Wikipedia it?

philthy3

Postby philthy3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 15:33 pm

The fact that SRAM and Shimano are fully compatible has already been covered, advice which you wrongly implied wasn't so. First you come and give incorrect advice to the OP and then rather than give any substance to your view of other manufacturers, simply post childish disparaging remarks about them. The explanation of what immature means is entirely for your benefit as if you didn't know.

OP, sorry for the interruption.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Mon Dec 31, 2012 17:14 pm

SmoggySteve wrote:Stick to what you had. The crank is irrelevant. If money is tight you could go down in price to a 105 but you must stick a Shimano cassette on the rear as the rear derailleur has to match it by make. I think but aint sure that some SRAM are compatable. A 10 sp ultegra cassette can be bought for around £50 at mo while sales are on.

This was my second post. I say I'm not sure cos I wasn't 100% sure. I knew some were compatible, but without having a definite answer I wasn't going to say yes. I have very little personal experience of either SRAM or shimano on road bikes. But from people I ride with, some of them don't hold the more budget freindly SRAM kit in high regard. I'm sure a SRAM red is excellent but how well does the tech filter down on this brand compared to shimano? That's another subject though. I never at any point say they were NOT compatible so get your fact right before you suggest I was giving wrong advice. It's a forum, other people who come and give advice confirmed that you can use SRAM, if you want to take a light hearted comment so seriously that you decide to get on your moral high horse I think you need to look a bit harder at yourself.

Rant over. Have a happy 2013

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 17:36 pm

For the love of all things merciful, sweet and gentle in the world, why would you want anything else apart from Red on your bike anyway?

Sometimes you maniacs scare me.

Remember - make the leap.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

TrekVet

Postby TrekVet » Mon Dec 31, 2012 19:37 pm

Some of you chaps sound like you've lost the...

Back on topic with; don't forget the tyre and tube. While you are in the LBS get them to fit the cassette, won't take a minute, then ask for a discount on the whole lot. Fit the wheel at home. Centralise the brake. Adjust the gears if need be, but if you don't know how, have a cup of tea and see: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#rear
The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.

Return to “Workshop”