Reusable chain links for Shimano HG73 9 Speed Chain

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
curium

Reusable chain links for Shimano HG73 9 Speed Chain

Postby curium » Tue Jan 01, 2013 18:33 pm

I've ordered a replacement Shimano HG73 9 Speed Chain. It will come with a rivet for closing but I wanted to investigate the options for using a reusable link. This would make it easier to remove the chain and clean & dry it in the warmth of my kitchen.

Can anyone explain the options and how they work?

Cheers!

TrekVet

Re: Reusable chain links for Shimano HG73 9 Speed Chain

Postby TrekVet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 18:57 pm

Just Google 'sram powerlink'. Check out some of the results. Order at least 2 (for 9-speed it is Gold - must be suit the chain). You'll need a chain link remover to remove the joining outer plates from the new chain. Make a 3ins. double ended wire hook from coathanger and hook it into the chain a few links back from each loose end, then fit the Powerlink without having to fight the tension of the chain. Fit a powerlink, carry the others, and away you go. It really is that simple.
The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.

sungod

Re: Reusable chain links for Shimano HG73 9 Speed Chain

Postby sungod » Tue Jan 01, 2013 20:28 pm

as above, or these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-9-speed-chain-links/

shorten chain to correct length

shift front-rear to small-small

thread through drivetrain, open ends on the underside

insert link pieces so that pins engage, once on, release and the plates should slide to the locked position, apply some tension to the chain if they need encouragement

to remove, use same gearing etc., squeeze plates together a bit, slide ends towards each other, then pull apart

there're a few videos online showing the process if you need to see it done, but it takes a lot longer to describe than to do, once you get a feel for it, just a couple of seconds is plenty
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Return to “Workshop”