Internal cabling - tips & tricks?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Option Click

Internal cabling - tips & tricks?

Postby Option Click » Wed Jan 02, 2013 14:52 pm

So I'm building up my Cento Uno, and am (embarrassingly) a little confused about the internal cabling and would appreciate some advice.

The routing for the rear brake cable runs through the top tube and there's a plastic tube running through with a couple of little rubber washers. It's the same setup for the rear gear cabling through the chainstay.

So, I assume that I:
• Insert the outer cabling into the holes in the frame (what do I do with the rubber washers)
• Trim any excess from the internal plastic tubing (it protrudes about 1cm out at each end)
• Thread the cable through the plastic tubing (cable caps/ends needed?)

Any advice specific to the Cento Uno? I've heard that there can be rear shifting probs due to the route through the chainstay.

Many thanks
Wilier Mortirolo // Cento Uno // Cento Uno Superleggera
Scott Scale 10
Specialized Crux
Klein Quantum Pro

smidsy

Re: Internal cabling - tips & tricks?

Postby smidsy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 16:37 pm

Thread your cable inner through the plastic straw that they kindly provided. (its only there to guide the cable inner)

Remove plastic straw.

Retain the rubbers in position as they provide the 'stop end' for your cable outer and help stop frame rub by the cable inner..

You will need to size, cut and fit cable outers to the exposed cables between the entry/exit points and the respective part (STI lever or brake Caliper etc) as normal. This will mean you have to thread the inner through the outer between the sti and entry point BEFORE removing the straw. Similarly for other cables as necessary.

The whole idea being that the cable inner always needs a way of threading through so the straw is the key. Mess it uo and you will have to employ the cotton thread and hoover trick :shock:

Hope that makes sense.
Yellow is the new Black.

Option Click

Postby Option Click » Wed Jan 02, 2013 16:50 pm

Thanks - that makes sense.
Had been reading a variety of sites that suggested to either leave both 'straws' in, remove them both or only remove the chainstay one :?

Presumably I should still fit cable ends/caps to the outers at the frame entry/exit points (assuming they'll fit)?

I gather that as I have a later model Cento Uno that they addressed the shifting issue by moving the chainstay exit point, so all should be straightforward now...
Wilier Mortirolo // Cento Uno // Cento Uno Superleggera
Scott Scale 10
Specialized Crux
Klein Quantum Pro

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 16:56 pm

My Basso came with plastic grommits at the entry/exit point which act as the cable outer end. They stop the cable outer going any further as the size is too small to let pass through. So for me I just put the cut end of outer into that plastic grommit.

Not sure what your rubber washers are but I assumed same as my plastic grommit but maybe not.

The Basso only has the rear brake internal so not sure about the others but mine has no outer when in the frame, only where the cable is exposed.

I suppose you could remove the washers/grommits and run the outer straight through as well but I did not.
Yellow is the new Black.

philthy3

Postby philthy3 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 17:05 pm

I also ride Basso as my main bike and you don't use the sleeve over the inner where it runs through the frame. I didn't use the straw to thread the inner either relying on the cotton and vacuum trick to get the inner through the frame.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

ademort

Postby ademort » Wed Jan 02, 2013 18:13 pm

smidsy wrote:Thread your cable inner through the plastic straw that they kindly provided. (its only there to guide the cable inner)

Remove plastic straw.

Retain the rubbers in position as they provide the 'stop end' for your cable outer and help stop frame rub by the cable inner..

You will need to size, cut and fit cable outers to the exposed cables between the entry/exit points and the respective part (STI lever or brake Caliper etc) as normal. This will mean you have to thread the inner through the outer between the sti and entry point BEFORE removing the straw. Similarly for other cables as necessary.

The whole idea being that the cable inner always needs a way of threading through so the straw is the key. Mess it uo and you will have to employ the cotton thread and hoover trick :shock:

Hope that makes sense.

Keep the plastic straws provided because when you need to replace the inner cable you just reverse the process.
Ademort

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 18:17 pm

Yes indeed, good call there Ads.

I have kept mine btw :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

Return to “Workshop”