Chainring/ Chain / Cassette

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Glasgowbhoy

Chainring/ Chain / Cassette

Postby Glasgowbhoy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Noticed my chain slipping on a long run on the winter bike on the weekend. Initially thought - new cassette and as with the wear probably a new chain into the bargain. Was going to pick them up tonight on the way home but cycling in this morning I noticed that the chain is actually coming off the big ring of the chainring whenever i take off a lights or reach a hill. Had a look at the teeth on the chainring and they don't seem to worn. Could this still be the casstee that is throwing the chain off ?

smidsy

Re: Chainring/ Chain / Cassette

Postby smidsy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 14:36 pm

Perhaps the chain is THE culprit and nothing else?

Have a good look over it and pay particular attention to the side plates, they can start to come away and cause such symptoms as they catch on stuff.
Yellow is the new Black.

Glasgowbhoy

Postby Glasgowbhoy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:03 pm

cheers will have a look tonight. Have been trying to keep it clean after every ride this winter (for a change) but it may have a kink in one of the side plates or just be worn. Been a lot of miles on it this winter.......

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:33 pm

Get the chain and cassette anyway- you'll need them at somepoint even if not now. Then you can try them out and if the symptoms are identical, you can start to suspect the chainrings.
Faster than a tent.......

Return to “Workshop”