Spokes regularly breaking on old wheels

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Htron

Spokes regularly breaking on old wheels

Postby Htron » Thu Jan 03, 2013 20:42 pm

I have a well used set of mid '90s wheels on my current retro commuter. I noticed today (luckily) just as I got home that another spoke on the rear was broken at the hub side. This is the second broken spoke on the rear driveside in approx 3 months.

I am new to cycling: should I expect this spoke loss rate to continue and retire the wheels (I can't rely on the wheels to get me home) or bother to have the spoke repaired? Have I just been unlucky, or does this happen with old tired wheels? Thanks.

smidsy

Re: Spokes regularly breaking on old wheels

Postby smidsy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 20:53 pm

Once you get spokes break that puts stresses on others.

You need to get the wheel tensioned and trued by someone who knows how to do such things not just replace the broken spokes.
Yellow is the new Black.

Htron

Postby Htron » Thu Jan 03, 2013 21:14 pm

smidsy wrote:Once you get spokes break that puts stresses on others.

You need to get the wheel tensioned and trued by someone who knows how to do such things not just replace the broken spokes.

I had the LBS replace the spoke and true the wheel the last time a spoke broke. Do I need to specifically ask them to tension all the spokes when truing this time, or all part of the truing process? Sorry if that is a silly question. Thanks

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Jan 03, 2013 22:16 pm

Your spokes are fatigued... You need a rebuild. Spokes 20 pounds, work probably 40, can you face it? The result will be better than a new set of wheels worth 60 pounds.
Find someone who knows what he is doing in your area

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:12 pm

Htron wrote:
smidsy wrote:Once you get spokes break that puts stresses on others.

I had the LBS replace the spoke and true the wheel the last time a spoke broke. Do I need to specifically ask them to tension all the spokes when truing this time, or all part of the truing process? Sorry if that is a silly question. Thanks

A good LBS should do that for you unless you specifically asked them to replace the spoke only and do nothing else, plus a good LBS should be able to tell you if your wheel is in need of a rebuild. As others have said is quite a cheap job to do and on older wheels will make them extend their life, think of it like get your shoes re-soled.

Maybe just call into your LBS and mention you've had a few spokes go and what would the recommend i.e. a respoke and rebuild the wheels for you. If they don't give you an answer that sounds reasonable or that makes any sense then consider another LBS or look on this site for reviews of local wheel builders as there are some really go ones out there who's work is first class and a lot cheaper than a new set of wheels.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Return to “Workshop”