Campagnolo athena chainset and dura ace 7800 pedals

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
TomHammersley

Campagnolo athena chainset and dura ace 7800 pedals

Postby TomHammersley » Thu Jan 03, 2013 22:19 pm

Hello,

I'm currently debugging a clicking creaky sound on my bike. I've worked through various possibilities, and I got thinking, is the combination of athena chainset and DA7800 pedals a known clicking combination?

Sometimes you need a washer between pedal and chainset to fix a click due to the interface between different metals; obviously this an easy test to do, but I just wondered if anyone might be able to confirm my theory from experience?

Thanks in advance.

ugo.santalucia

Re: Campagnolo athena chainset and dura ace 7800 pedals

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Jan 03, 2013 22:24 pm

You are on the wrong track...
Check the chainring bolts... If not tight they give that clicking noise

TomHammersley

Postby TomHammersley » Thu Jan 03, 2013 22:50 pm

Cheers, I'll give those a crack.

It's a very new UT chainset so I had just assumed they'd be tight. But you never know...

Usually happens under load or power.

k-dog

Postby k-dog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 23:06 pm

First thing I'd check is your seatpost - noises can travel and sound like something else. Bit of grease solves that one.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Fri Jan 04, 2013 08:46 am

You might be suffering from the dreaded UT or PT ‘click’. There can be a slight play between the bottom bracket cup and the crank. Here’s an article on it http://roguemechanic.typepad.com/roguem ... -ul-1.html

When I upgraded my Miche chain set to a Centaur after a while the bike developed a loud ‘click’ when the cranks were at the 6 o clock position and I thought that I was suffering from the same thing. The chain set and cups were removed, cleaned and then re greased and re fitted to see whether or not I’d need to go down the washer route. The ‘click’ was still there but quieter and intermittent, however after a while it disappeared and I’ve not heard it for many months, so it could have settled down for good (although I’ve probably just jinxed myself).
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

TomHammersley

Postby TomHammersley » Fri Jan 04, 2013 09:19 am

k-dog: The noise occurs both in and out of the saddle, so I'm thinking maybe it's not the seatpost? It sounds like it's coming from the drivetrain area, but you never know, it's easy to be wrong about these things, it could be something like the bars even.

thegreatdivide: I have recently changed the group and I don't _think_ it was happening before on the other group (Centaur carbon). UT is automatically a suspect, so I have disassembled it all, reinstalled it with a new wavy washer, put on the threadlock, torqued it up etc. I'm not saying it isn't that, but my changes to the UT bottom bracket haven't changed the sound, so maybe not.

I should also add that it's independent of the wheels (and therefore cassette) used, so that again refines it a bit.

I just hope it's not the alu frame going, again. The frame of this bike previously failed at the seat stay / drop out join, and the noises it made beforehand sounded very much like your typical creaks... a creak that couldn't be fixed..

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Fri Jan 04, 2013 09:35 am

thegreatdivide wrote:Here’s an article on it http://roguemechanic.typepad.com/roguem ... -ul-1.html

He got laughed-off weightweenies for his one-man crusade - there's no substance to his argument.

Has the OP checked that the BB shell is within spec?
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

TomHammersley

Postby TomHammersley » Fri Jan 04, 2013 09:40 am

I've not measured the BB, but a different campag UT chainset previously lived a creak free life installed upon it.

richiebones

Postby richiebones » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:46 am

sounds stupid but check your doing up your wheel q/rs tight enough......

TomHammersley

Postby TomHammersley » Fri Jan 04, 2013 19:49 pm

Tried the QRs, no luck. It does happen with both wheelsets, so that pretty much rules that out.

Latest experiment is that if I put the cranks pointing forward, hold on the brakes and apply some power, it ticks. This might sound crazy, but I can't help but think its coming from the chain!

ice climber

Postby ice climber » Fri Jan 04, 2013 21:42 pm

Look at the rogue mechanic YouTube video re UT bottom bracket issues. You spend all that money and realise how poor the thought process was with Campy in their acceptance of tolerance!

I have just "remodelled" my SR in line with the video and guess what ? No clicking, at last.. :D .....fiddly but well worth the effort.
Viner Magnifica
Fondreist TF3 1.2
Cervelo P3
Aeron
Viner Icarus

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:38 pm

or swap to Shimano :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 18:06 pm

I had a terrible creaking sound whenever I got up out the saddle, was covinced it was the bottom bracket. Took both qr skewers out and greased them, silence!!! Worth a try.

TomHammersley

Postby TomHammersley » Sat Jan 05, 2013 21:45 pm

I've tried tightening the QRs but not greasing them... I'll give that a crack too :-)

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 23:05 pm

Clicks things to check,
1) pedal threads are not dry
2) UT crank bolt is torqued up to 40NM.
3) shell within spec 67.2mm - 68.8mm I think.
4) Q/R skewers are secure and drop a little oil on the cam.
5) Chainring bolts are tight
6) cups are secure and there is coppaslip on the threads or loctite used.
7) ensure there is grease on the cup before bearing inserted.
8) bearing themselves are in good order.

Maybe a second wavy washer for UT is needed but every creak BB normally has an simple solution. There is nothing wrong with UT or PT. I run power torque and have never had a creak. Also all the bike I sell have PT cranks no of those have come back with a creak. It's a decent system. You can't blame the crankset for a creak that may come from somewhere else.
6)
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

pinarellokid

Postby pinarellokid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 06:34 am

i run Campag powertorque Athena
my terrible creaking turned out to be my look keo pedals
stripping and a good dose of grease has made them buttery smooth and super quiet..
Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

TomHammersley

Postby TomHammersley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 22:34 pm

Just to give some feedback on this -

Tried swapping the pedals across from a different bike - still creaks. Same creak. So I'm thinking that renders the pedals or pedal axles as unlikely.

QRs - tried different wheels, greasing the QRs, greasing the drop out area etc. Nothing improved it.

The UT bolt was torqued up correctly, and used threadlock, so I thought that'd be fine. I think I'll take a second look at the chainset / bottom bracket area though. I have had a UT hirth joint bolt fail on me before, so I want to satisfy myself that it's nothing to do with that!

The work continues...

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Jan 09, 2013 09:23 am

TomHammersley wrote:Just to give some feedback on this -

Tried swapping the pedals across from a different bike - still creaks. Same creak. So I'm thinking that renders the pedals or pedal axles as unlikely.

QRs - tried different wheels, greasing the QRs, greasing the drop out area etc. Nothing improved it.

The UT bolt was torqued up correctly, and used threadlock, so I thought that'd be fine. I think I'll take a second look at the chainset / bottom bracket area though. I have had a UT hirth joint bolt fail on me before, so I want to satisfy myself that it's nothing to do with that!

The work continues...

:roll:

Return to “Workshop”