One bent spoke?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Manc33

One bent spoke?

Postby Manc33 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:36 pm

Something happened to my wheel somewhere on the road, maybe a twig got caught and released or something but it seems one spoke is bent.

When I go into the lowest gear (so the rear mech is right near the spokes) one of the spokes lightly brushes the screw that goes through the jockey wheel, not the one on the end of the arm, the inner one.

So I noticed I could file that screw down a bit, did that, but its still going "ping, ping, ping, ping" lightly brushing one spoke.

Is there any quick way to bend the spoke back, or does it mean removing the wheel and tyre to just take the bent spoke completely out and replace with a straight one?

I do have a MTB setup on a road bike, but then again all the other spokes just about clear the jockey wheel screw, only one spoke touches. It doesn't even really slow the wheel down, its only very light brushing.

I thought for a while maybe my rear mech is bent, but because it is only one spoke it must be the spoke, or it might be the inner spoke pushing on the outer spoke meaning only the inner one is bent.

All other gears work, middle to biggest works, it is just smallest to biggest that gives the "ping, ping, ping, ping" noise.

It isn't even really wearing the spoke out.

Maybe this is covered under the warranty? I only bought the bike 6 months ago and it has 3 years on parts and 5 years on the frame. I just don't wanna end up getting landed with a bill for it, if thats the case I would just do it myself although its a big job just for 1 spoke, the wheel will need truing again etc.

Plus the fact that I have Marathon Plus 25C's on the rims... those are never easy to get back on after taking off. :roll:

"Please note that this warranty does not apply in case of natural wear and tear of the product during normal conditions of usage."

Define normal... I hit something and it bent one spoke. Would it have happened if I had not hit that [whatever]? No. So I don't even know if the warranty covers it. It doesn't seem drastic enough and I replaced the cassette, rear mech, chain, shifters... so its not really the bike they sold me. :lol:

Or I could just never use that gear, which is what I have been doing up to now, but sometimes in a moment of weakness (leg weakness lol) I change into the lowest gear without realizing it is the last gear. I only know because I hear that ping ping ping noise and think argh, go onto the 2nd sprocket and just stop to get my breath or something.

I must be as weak as it gets. :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPglNjxVHiM
FOR SALE: Tinfoil hat (never used).

ugo.santalucia

Re: One bent spoke?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:59 pm

One of the unwritten forum rules is to try and get to the point. That's a rather long post.

You either have a bent rear mech hanger (just check if the cage is aligned vertically or not), or as you say one of the spokes is loose and allowed to bend when you pedal.
Either way your LBS should sort you out in 5 minutes top

pinarellokid

Postby pinarellokid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:40 pm

i bet i stopped reading before you did lol
Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:11 pm

Would it bend the wheel towards the mech a bit more because it is in the lowest gear?
FOR SALE: Tinfoil hat (never used).

keef66

Postby keef66 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 15:09 pm

Your rear mech is hitting a spoke and your immediate reaction is to take a file to the rear mech?

Stop riding it and take it to a bike shop to get it fixed. If you're in your lowest gear and pinging the spokes, all it will take is a bit of wheel flex and you'll drag the rear mech into the wheel. Which could conceivably write off the mech, hanger, chain and wheel. And possibly chuck you off the bike.

Return to “Workshop”