Carbon seat post fitting

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Miklosh

Carbon seat post fitting

Postby Miklosh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 am

Hi guys

I'm fitting a carbon seat post to my carbon frame (seat tube seems to be lined with an aluminium sleeve).
I know I will need carbon paste to secure a good fix.

My original seat post is aluminium and removing the grease from this is easy, but not so easy to remove the residue from inside the seat tube - any tips?
How important is it to remove this residue? I'm sure I read somewhere that the grease may effect the new carbon seat post?

Thanks
2012 Bottecchia Super 8Avio 105
2007 Focus Variado 105

Yossie

Re: Carbon seat post fitting

Postby Yossie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 am

Get a rag, stick it down there and just wipe off the grease - that'll do the job.

If your fingers aren't long enough use a broom handle or similar. Don't use your willy in case it gets stuck then it'll be really embarrassing.

Re the grease affecting the carbon seat post (or carbon itself) - what a load of baloney. It will do no harm to it whatsoever, ever. Slap a load of carbon paste on and off you go.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

ride_whenever

Postby ride_whenever » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 pm

The best thing would be to soak a rag in your preferred carbon safe degreaser, and force the rag down as far as you can. A twisting motion will help with getting the rag right down into the frame.

Then pull out and repeat. Rinse the frame and leave to dry before carbon pasting and inserting your new post.

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Carbon safe degreaser - now that's perpetuating the carbon fragility myth if I've ever heard anything.

Get some Jizer/Gunk/Muc off/whatever and slap it down there if you can't get the grease off with a rag - its all perfectly fine. Its a degreaser, not hydrochloric acid .....

Anyway, I wouldn't really worry about it - unless you have slapped bucket loads in there it'll be fine with a wipe down (and no, even bucket loads of grease won't affect the carbon, just the amount you have to do the clamp up to hold it in place).
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

keef66

Postby keef66 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 14:25 pm

Don't go chucking degreaser down your seat tube, your BB bearings won't like it.

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 15:00 pm

keef66 wrote:Don't go chucking degreaser down your seat tube, your BB bearings won't like it.

+1 - a clean rag will do the job.

Please don't go rinsing the inside of the frame either

Miklosh

Postby Miklosh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 15:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.
There doesn't seem to be that much grease in the seat tube anyway, so I'll try the rag/cloth and see if I can get it all out.

Yossie, no chance of embarrassment, its a 31.6mm seat tube, my willy wouldn't fit ;)
2012 Bottecchia Super 8Avio 105
2007 Focus Variado 105

Return to “Workshop”