White Spirit

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Schofie

White Spirit

Postby Schofie » Sun Mar 10, 2013 17:15 pm

Alright dudes.

So I have a couple of things that need a deep clean, firstly an ultegra groupset that I bought on a bike from a friend and secondly a set of wheels. My question is where I can use white spirit. I know that it can be used to deep clean chains but my assumption is that I can use it on most parts exept bearings. So I plan on using it to clean the rims of the wheels and most cosmetic parts of the group. Any advice either way?

Cheers
Everything you see on TV reflects, accentuates and perpetuates the worst of the human ego. Watch the news tonight and see the separation, persecution and retribution rained down on our fellow man. We're all mad

RDB66

Re: White Spirit

Postby RDB66 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 19:03 pm

Methelated Spirits/WD40/GUNK Engine cleaner is what i would use, just make sure you give them a very good wash after. All the above will work okay.

Dicky.
A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
11/13 Canyon Nerve XC for the Dirt.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sun Mar 10, 2013 19:42 pm

White spirit is fine for metal, just keep it clear of any rubbers or elastomers like tyres and bearing seals.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 21:17 pm

Forget white spirit, it leaves behind residue and takes ages to evaporate , gunk do an orange citrus degreaser, its good stuff and washes off with hot water.

Schofie

Postby Schofie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 21:44 pm

Cheers guys
Everything you see on TV reflects, accentuates and perpetuates the worst of the human ego. Watch the news tonight and see the separation, persecution and retribution rained down on our fellow man. We're all mad

Return to “Workshop”