Get your local loop in Cycling Plus

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » Sat Mar 25, 2006 09:26 am

"Round the Harbours" ride - Portsmouth Harbour

From Portsmouth to Portsmouth!

Takes in NCN2 from Harbour Station to Hayling Island, Hayling Billy trail to Havant, main (busy) road over Portsdown Hill (stunning views and lunch at the Churchillian) and then down through Stubbington on off road paths to Lee on Solent and then NCN2 to Gosport and Portsmouth.

Developed by the Local Councils for a Bike Week ride, but now adopted and run in June by the BHF

Edited (good move by others) http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=82694

My wife and I do this route several times a year - Portsdown hill is the one big climb, and was categorised by the Tour when it was in Portsmouth.

When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves for you will have lost the last of England
<i>Hillaire Belloc</i>

velocitizen

Postby velocitizen » Sat Mar 25, 2006 17:57 pm

matty 1235 try this link
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=82445
of course theres lota of ways to extend it if you ride out of derby on the A6005 or the ncn you join the route just after leisure lakes and the M1, my commute to work is on a bit of this route (gmap r64450)
the best bit is the quiet lanes between sawley and kegworth, attenborough nature reserve has a nice new visitors centre and cafe, let us know if you enjoy it,

MikeX

Postby MikeX » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Hi

My training ride which is every other Saturday starting at 7.30 am meets about 50 cars total over approximately 40 to 50 miles (depending on which add ons we do) rides through some lovely new forest scenery and places of interest - biggest hazards are cattelgrids & cows/horses with no cycle sense what so ever. Roads are pretty good on the whole and we have 3 (or 4) hills to speak of (well they are hills for round here).

Ride goes from Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, Rhinefield (Ornamental drive), Burley & Picket Post I mile 'climb' (stop for a banana at viewing point then loop back down through Burley Street) toward Rhinefield then up to Bolderwood 2 mile uphill drag (to the Deer Sanctuary) and onto to Stoney Cross up a mile long hill (open flat plain - WWII air fields) and over the other side for lovely sweeping 'descent'. We turn back on this road as it so FAB. Back to Bolderwood and turn off for Emery Down (nearly 3 miles of 'gentle' down). Turn to Lyndhurst and onto Beaulieu Road Station/Bealieu (classic New Forest heathland) for final 3/4 mile climb then 3 mile sprint on billiard table smooth tarmac to home.

Myself and a mate Jago got into cycling last February to take part in the RBL Pedal to Paris. depending on fitness levels we add/take parts out of the ride and this route gives plenty of options. Scenery is great - lack of cars on the whole better. Occasionaly we have another guy Bob come along with us who usualy rides a Giant. We both ride Scott CR1's and by the end of last year were doing a 60 mile version of this in a tiny bit over 3 hours - have lost some form over winter!!!

By the time we did P2P we were well prepared and had a superb time in the fast group on a very well organised event. Going back for second go this year.

MikeX

Why is the wind always head on?

robbarker

Postby robbarker » Mon Mar 27, 2006 13:32 pm

Gmap for my favourite training loop:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=85140.

jpembrokecp

Postby jpembrokecp » Tue Mar 28, 2006 20:24 pm

Right, come and join me on the Sheepscombe 'Classic' then. Only 40 miles from Bath (may be less). 35 mile circuit with about 11 climbs on quiet Cotswold lanes starting in Cheltenham. Gradients vary from 10-20%. Begins and ends with Leckhampton Hill so you will encounter some traffic for a total of 2 or 3 miles (but not much) along the entire circuit. It's an awesome circuit: a bit of a stamina fest in the Flanders-style. Come and have a go (if you think you're hard enough).

[}:)]

-------------------------
well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

wjhall

Postby wjhall » Thu Mar 30, 2006 16:47 pm

Severn Beach station, over the Severn Bridge, NCN41 to Shirenewton, then Tintern, back across Kilgwrrug Common to pick up NCN41 East again, Mathern, Bulwark and back across the bridge to take the train back home.
About 70km.

And other variants involving Usk or Caerwent.

John Hall

wjhall

Postby wjhall » Thu Mar 30, 2006 18:13 pm

And surely any local loop near Bristol has to include the Avon Cycleway:

Lawrence Hill station - Bath cycle path - Mangotsfield - Yate - Wickwar (pub lunch) - Severn Beach and train back to starting point. About 80 km.

John Hall

stiffbackcp

Postby stiffbackcp » Wed Apr 05, 2006 20:19 pm

You should come to the Rhondda sometime. To start your ride you have to either climb the Rhigos or the Bwlch mountains, both of which feature in the Dagon Ride. After that you can have a play in the Brecon Beacons! If you don't like climbing though, you are probably not going to have a happy day!

Aahh,I Love the smell of road kill in the morning

John C.

Postby John C. » Mon Apr 17, 2006 16:06 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by on the road</i>

Traffic free roads? Is there such a thing?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'd tell you where to find traffic free roads even on a bank holiday but Gunner Rodgers will shoot me !!

He who spins lasts longest

Gunner Rodgers

Postby Gunner Rodgers » Mon Apr 17, 2006 16:12 pm

OFOAB

Postby OFOAB » Wed Apr 19, 2006 13:27 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John C.</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by on the road</i>

Traffic free roads? Is there such a thing?

I'd tell you where to find traffic free roads even on a bank holiday but Gunner Rodgers will shoot me !!

He who spins lasts longest

It's OK John C you can spill the beans. There's these map type doodahs called OS Landthingie 1:5lots of zeros and in our part of the world (North Yorks) if you follow the skinny white roads (especially dotty edged ones) with lots of wiggly brown lines and chevrons (preferably doubles)across them, chances are you'll have the world to yourself: If Gunner comes gunning for you you could tell him that's how they found out.

I wish I was any place but the someplace I'm in

TrekVetcp

Postby TrekVetcp » Wed Apr 26, 2006 15:02 pm

My Route 5 is a 51mile circuit. Takes about 3hr. 37mins. (net) Starts and finishes at Westbury (Wilts.) Market Place, B3098 to Woodborough garden centre cafe, and back via Caen Hill and Keevil. Part runs on Wiltshire Cycleway no. 4 and Pewsey area exclusive(?) "Quiet Lanes".

I`m 57 and love fitting in my fitness rides around my job as a train driver, so sometimes I`m out riding still up from yesterday having already driven 190 miles! I ride my Airborne Zeppelin around the local lanes (such as above) noting the route as I go, then checking the directions on the OS map, and entering the route up on my website. I do charity rides such as the Wessex100, rather than local club rides as these are just out of my league. I`m doing a route 5 ride this Saturday 29th. starting 1pm - if I`m back from Theale in time!

--
Q. How do you find your Speedplay pedals?
A. Easy, I keep them at the ends of my cranks.

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Sun Apr 30, 2006 21:56 pm

Big chunk of my local loop in this months C+. Helmsley, Ingelby Greenhow, Battersby, Kildale etc. Don't do the chimney though, too much of a coward[:D] Gunner has some decent photos of bits of it on his website, especially the top of clay bank.

D[:D]

If God wanted me to drive a car, he'd have given me three legs.

boneheadcp

Postby boneheadcp » Tue May 02, 2006 08:51 am

I have a terrific training ride from Longwell Green, Bristol.
About 64Miles 4/5 hours cycling depending how strong I'm feeling !
Keynsham, Chew Magna, Around Chew Valley Lake, climb up on to the Mendips, Charterhouse, Shipham, Cheddar,up through the Gorge, Priddy, Chewton Mendip, Bishop Sutton, Stanton Drew, Pensford, Compton Dando, Keynsham.
Plenty of cafes, couple of good pubs, some lung heaving climbs and some superb views.
Cheers,
Andy.

A.J.GREENHAM

douglegge

Postby douglegge » Mon May 15, 2006 11:42 am

Done this loop a couple of times now in both directions. Start in Hazlemere, going clockwise on lanes through Petersfield to the very scenic villages of East & West Meon the ride drops into Winchester for a coffee. It continues north towards the Candovers, to Farnham then through Frensham Ponds to Hindhead (which has a bit of a climb!), from Hindhead it's downhill all the way to a finish at bang on 100 miles in Hazlemere again.

Parking no problem and you can start at the NT cafe in the Devils Punchbowl (Hindhead) or do the route going anticlockwise.

If you would like further details let me know

Doug
Getting fitter, going faster, hurting just the same!!!

Hugh A

Postby Hugh A » Fri May 19, 2006 15:00 pm

I do quite a few nice loops similar to Bonehead's but starting in South Bristol so not quite so long - taking in Burrington coombe and Cheddar then back via Dundry.

I used to wish...

mousecp

Postby mousecp » Sun Jun 11, 2006 19:22 pm

What about Northumberland. Magazines rarely feature anything north of Yorkshire. I have a few beautifull, almost traffic free, routes from Hexham that would test your climbing legs. What about it?

[8D][8D][8D][8D]

sugar777

Postby sugar777 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:46 am

Hi Neil,
I like the idea, but what about incorporating the ride with a local club, you coud mention some interesting facts about the club, details and anacdotes! You could ride with the club on their favourite route, i think it could be more interesting than riding with just one or two people, and it could be a good way to encouraage people to join a club which is no bad thing!

I myself don,t belong to a club, i wish i had the time at the moment! But i did do my first club ride in Feburaury ( i chose the windiest day of the year) and i really enjoyed it as their quest. It was actually the Bath cycling club and we did a ride along the cycle path towards bristol. pucklechurch, Chipping sodbury across to Castle Coombe Box and back. Beautiful countryside and a nice bunch of freindly riders so a nice morning out! Since you are based in Bath what about starting with a ride with them and chosing one of the great rides around Bath. Then next month a ride with say a club in Dorset
or Doncaster.....etc

There are no shortage of clubs or rides! I think people sometimes find the idea of joining a club intimidating but i,m sure most are freindly and helpful.
I hope this is helpful Neil.
Simon

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”