Marmotte 2013

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
bahzob

Re: Marmotte 2013

Postby bahzob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:31 am

I don't know about how cheap or otherwise they are but every time I go to the area as a solo cyclist I try to stay at KOM. You may end up sharing a room with a someone but that helps with the cost. You are guaranteed a warm welcome, great food and, if doing the Marmotte, good on route support for the day itself.

http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/index.asp

kfinlay

Postby kfinlay » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:48 am

cheers but way out of my price range at 665EUROS for the Marmotte week - looks very good though
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago EPS
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

narbs

Postby narbs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 am

kfinlay wrote:
ju5t1n wrote:BTW - finding accommodation is not a problem. When we’ve been before we didn’t bother booking until a month or so before the event. Alpe d’Huez is a BIG winter resort and there are over 32,000 beds available in hotels, chalets, bed-and-breakfasts and apartments - plus the two large campsites in Bourg d’Oisans. Even with 7,000+ cyclists descending on the place for the weekend, it’s still half empty.

Anywhere you know may be be able to provide reasonable priced accommodation for 1 person?
I booked somewhere for 4 of us but the 3 others changed plans and I wasn't willing to stump up over 5 times more cash for somewhere that offered breakfast but little more. So I've got somewhere that will sleep up to six and have asked if anyone wants to share in my other thread - it could help others who may be travelling alone and finding it difficult to get somewhere cheap but good. If there is somewhere for single travellers like me then can anyone point me in the right direction and I'll give up the apartment I've already booked :D

Two years ago I booked about a month before the event with the AdH accommodation office and stayed at one of the Club Med/Pierre & Vacances hotels in by the altiport. I think I paid about €50 a night for B&B.

kfinlay

Postby kfinlay » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:46 pm

narbs wrote:
kfinlay wrote:
ju5t1n wrote:BTW - finding accommodation is not a problem. When we’ve been before we didn’t bother booking until a month or so before the event. Alpe d’Huez is a BIG winter resort and there are over 32,000 beds available in hotels, chalets, bed-and-breakfasts and apartments - plus the two large campsites in Bourg d’Oisans. Even with 7,000+ cyclists descending on the place for the weekend, it’s still half empty.

Anywhere you know may be be able to provide reasonable priced accommodation for 1 person?
I booked somewhere for 4 of us but the 3 others changed plans and I wasn't willing to stump up over 5 times more cash for somewhere that offered breakfast but little more. So I've got somewhere that will sleep up to six and have asked if anyone wants to share in my other thread - it could help others who may be travelling alone and finding it difficult to get somewhere cheap but good. If there is somewhere for single travellers like me then can anyone point me in the right direction and I'll give up the apartment I've already booked :D

Two years ago I booked about a month before the event with the AdH accommodation office and stayed at one of the Club Med/Pierre & Vacances hotels in by the altiport. I think I paid about €50 a night for B&B.

The apartment I have just now is about the same cost (£320 for 7 nights) but sleeps up to 6. plenty space for me but would be cheap for anyone willing to share (as low as £23/night) and they would have their own room. I'm just trying to find anything cheaper than this option but the sites I've tried so far are much more expensive or sold out. :(
Kev

millster

Postby millster » Thu Dec 06, 2012 13:18 pm

Have just sent you a pm kev, but think I misunderstood what you were after! Thought that it was 320 per person, not for the whole apartment!

You're not going to get anything much cheaper than that other than taking a tent i'm afraid.

7kg

Postby 7kg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:51 am

Anyone selling their entry?

Are entries transferrable?

UPDATE: Ive got my entry now via one of the sport communication partners based in Holland.
Last edited by 7kg on Wed Dec 12, 2012 13:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ciclored

Postby ciclored » Tue Dec 11, 2012 18:32 pm

Ciclored.com organizes a trip to compete in the Marmotte and also enjoy some routes through the Alps. More ... http://www.ciclored.com/forum/topics/te ... e=activity

steerpike

Postby steerpike » Sat Dec 15, 2012 19:53 pm

So what happens next? I have a place but haven't a clue what to do (if anything) next. Where is the medical certificate form? The Website truly is appalling.

stanthomas

Postby stanthomas » Sat Dec 15, 2012 22:18 pm

C'mon, the website isn't that bad. Not Facebook maybe but it's not what they're about.

Anyway, the medical certificate is linked off the registration page, here:
http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/pdf/certificatgb.pdf .
Sometime over the next six months, get it signed and stamped by your GP, then scan it and e-mail to the organisers at: inscription@sportcommunication.com (or fax). Closer to the event they'll start sending you e-mails to confirm your riding number and arrangements on the day.

On the question of 'what to do next', the usual suggestion would be go easy on the mince pies and get the miles in...

Roman Schoolboy

Postby Roman Schoolboy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:31 pm

In my experience you don't need to send your Medical certificatre prior to the event you can just show it at registration... ( not that they take any notice of it )...!!.. To save on the expense of an official Dr's certificate the last couple of years me and mates just forged certificates and they were never checked... all Dr's / Surgery certs are gonna be slightly different which is probably why they don't take much notice in checking them... especially when there are thousands registering /queueing on the Friday etc...

TheStone

Postby TheStone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am

Roman Schoolboy wrote:In my experience you don't need to send your Medical certificatre prior to the event you can just show it at registration... ( not that they take any notice of it )...!!.. To save on the expense of an official Dr's certificate the last couple of years me and mates just forged certificates and they were never checked... all Dr's / Surgery certs are gonna be slightly different which is probably why they don't take much notice in checking them... especially when there are thousands registering /queueing on the Friday etc...

My mate did that too.
I've used the same (real) medical certificate for 4 years.

caledonian1

Postby caledonian1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 pm

I entered twice...never saw my name on the list for a week then all of a sudden there was my name twice. i have looked again and now it appears only once. has this happened to anyone else and do they know if there is an automatic refund given for the additional entry. I did not mean to enter twice as I failed to get confirmation of the first entry and assumed it had not gone through.

I have now booked a flight to lyon..anyone know of the best way to get myself and bike to Borg D'Osians?

Any help welcome

millster

Postby millster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:45 pm

caledonian1 wrote:I have now booked a flight to lyon..anyone know of the best way to get myself and bike to Borg D'Osians?

I went independently and on my own last year, trying to arrange travel from Lyon to Bourg was a nightmare! As it's the off season for the resort, travel routes were greatly restricted. From what I remember there is a train/bus option which would have taken ages so I decided to turn up to the airport with nothing planned and try to tag along on one of the operators minibuses if they had a spare space. Luckily, I managed to get in one and ended up paying around £50 with a lift back to the airport on Sunday as well.

Of course, this depends on what time your flight gets in-most operators' transfers aim to pick up between 12-2pm on the Thursday and drop off by around the same time on Sunday.

Good luck.

Leroy42

Postby Leroy42 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 17:17 pm

Easiest option is to hire a car. It is pretty straight forward drive from Lyon Airport to Bourg, should take around 2 hours. If you want to ditch the bike box there is a conceirge service at the airport which will store the bike box for you. I inquired about it last year (but didn't use it in the end) and I think it was about £10 per day.

Another option would be to try to tag along with someone else and split the costs, plenty of people of on this thread will be arranging it themselves. Maybe contact some of the tour companies closer to the time so ask about space. Not sure they would agree, but maybe they will have some space and would rather a few extra quid than not!

What dates/times are your flights?

caledonian1

Postby caledonian1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 20:19 pm

Thanks Millster and Leroy...2 decent suggestions that I will weigh up and consider.

I arrive at 1605 in Lyon on Thurs the 4th and return on the 1640 on Monday the 8th (although fancy a night oot in Lyon on the 7th)

Leroy42

Postby Leroy42 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 22:57 pm

Just checked the website and the numbers seem to be being sent out (I checked the registration section).

Strange thing is that me and the other guys got numbers 5600 - 5602. No idea where they got those numbers from, I had my registration all done by about 1 am! I know the event is timed from the point you cross the mat but having done it before the further back you are the more hold ups etc you get. The 1st year I did it we were in the 2000's and there was big holds ups on the Glandon, not to mention the porblems at the feedstops.

Really pissed that after staying up and putting up with the fu3king crap of a website that we get given such crap numbers.

Yes I know we get to sleep in a bit, but without sounding too arrogant I am hoping for a sub 7.30 time and starting so far is going to make that much more difficult.

Rant over!

ManxShred

Postby ManxShred » Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:47 am

The group I organised my entry though has asked for the medical certificate to be in by the 31st Jan due to the organisers requiring it. I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this but it might be a good idea to check they haven't changed the rules for this year.
Road - Volagi Liscio
MTB - Santa Cruz TallBoy

kfinlay

Postby kfinlay » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:32 am

I'm flying to Geneva (due to bad advice/planning from a mate) and plan on getting a hire car. Anyone know if I MUST use the French side for the car hire or should it be okay to use the Swiss side? There is a significant difference in price and I'm try to save money as costs just seem to be going upwards!
Kev

kfinlay

Postby kfinlay » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:36 am

Oh, and any recommendations for insurance?
Not worth going without as there is too much risk of getting caught up in some crash etc that is caused by someone else.

And I'm number 7080 :( looks like I'll need to seriously consider my food/drink strategy and any hope of trying for a fast time (for me) is out the window!
Kev

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 13:57 pm

kfinlay wrote:I'm flying to Geneva (due to bad advice/planning from a mate) and plan on getting a hire car. Anyone know if I MUST use the French side for the car hire or should it be okay to use the Swiss side? There is a significant difference in price and I'm try to save money as costs just seem to be going upwards!

I used to work right next to Geneva airport for 4 years. No problem using either side, if you're coming in from the UK you should come out on the Swiss side anyway. Swiss cars will have the Swiss motorway sticker on them too, so if your stray onto Swiss motorways you won't get stung for 50 Euros or so.

One little tip for the winter; always hire Swiss side - by law they have to have snow tyres, French cars don't. Will make a massive difference if there's snow.
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”