Etape du Tour 2013

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
grumpygrandad
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 08:08 am

Etape du Tour 2013

Postby grumpygrandad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 07:08 am

Really want to do this ride in the Pyrenees next year!
Does anyone know what the date is likely to be?
As a teacher, my holidays (although long!) can only be taken at certain times.
Next year we finish on 19th July. Will I have to wait until I retire (and I'm even older and more knackered than I am now!) before I can participate?

pipipi
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby pipipi » Mon Jul 23, 2012 08:09 am

I know the feeling regarding holidays. Lots of them but at the wrong times for cycling. :cry:

And parents still say to me 'we take Johnny out of school because it's cheaper to have a holiday then'. :roll: Well, surprise surprise, the only time I get to have a holiday is in the most expensive time! :x

I keep wanting to do the L2P but that's always the last week of term. :cry:

caledonian1
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 21:15 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby caledonian1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:36 am

the Pyrenees mountain stages are on 13th and 14th of July 2013 so I would imagine the Etape to be the weekend before. Easily within Scottish school holidays so nae luck there.

saying that cant believe the rain today..so dull too....yet on the radio they are saying its sunshine and nearly 30c in England...knew there would be some advantage living doon sooth

I am up for one of the etapes in 2013 but will wait for stages to be announced...will proably be iconic mountains as 100th event

Vowed to be a stone lighter next year....14stone made it tough last week

caledonian1
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 21:15 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby caledonian1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 am

should add...this is what the tour is to be rumoured to be

http://www.velopeloton.com/2013-tour-de-france-route/

malcolmfrost
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 07:11 am

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby malcolmfrost » Mon Jul 23, 2012 17:40 pm

Corsica Etape, Tasty!!

niedermeyer
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 16:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby niedermeyer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 17:07 pm

probably only 1 etape next year (combined turnout for this year was only around 11k) - and not pyrenees!

cyclingsheep
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 16:14 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby cyclingsheep » Thu Aug 09, 2012 19:53 pm

Any idea why the low turn out? Were more people registered than showed up to sign on or just low numbers registering? I'd have thought, given that it was easy to sort yourself out an entry (without having to go through a tour operator) that there would be more people wanting to do it. Hell, I had a great day out on Act2 so would definitely do it again, just curious.

Road Red
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 19:15 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby Road Red » Fri Aug 10, 2012 09:30 am

11,000 is hardly a small number. I would imagine they will continue with 2 Etapes, there is no way you will get 11,000 out on one event.

It may be the first signs of the peak having been reached in numbers? The Etape is a great event though there there are many many other great sportives all over Europe.

However I imagine there will be a further upsurge from the Brits after the summers events.

stanthomas
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 00:05 am

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby stanthomas » Tue Aug 14, 2012 22:33 pm

During Acte 1 the announcer kept insisting that we were 9000 riders. We now know it was much less but it's a fair guess that they collected an entry fee from many more than showed up. Sounds like good business. But it's not just about entry fees; the start/finish towns will pitch in with a contribution based on an anticipate increase in visitors. This might be a problem when there are so many no shows. That said, hotels and campsites seemed to be booked up so maybe they were satisfied with what they got.

I'd expect ASO to follow the same formula in 2013.

malcolmfrost
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 07:11 am

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby malcolmfrost » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:19 am

It would be nice to see one of the two being in some of the areas other than the Alps and Pyrenees, the Issoire stage last year was seen by many as "an easy stage" and "not a proper Etape" but turned out to be one of the hardest ever!

xscreamsuk
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 18:00 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby xscreamsuk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:06 am

Did acte 2 this year, just over a year after getting a bike. Loved it, will definitely do it again next year, hopefully in the Alps with some better weather. My advice, start training now, loose as much weight as you can, if you can get a proper training plan it will motivate you. My climbing has improved no end because of it.

User avatar
FransJacques
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby FransJacques » Wed Sep 12, 2012 16:26 pm

The etape has certainly reached it's peak. With 2 events now they're still advertising empty spaces only 1 week before the event (somehow I'm on the ASO's mail list).

Last one I did was 2009 and by then it had become very Mamil-y which means tick-box folks, who tend to be non-life cyclists. So while you won't be riding in an awesome group with speedy riders, you're assured of an entry, even if you leave it until 1 week before the event. And that's good news if you're super keen on doing the event.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
---------------

User avatar
mrc1
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 14:18 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby mrc1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 21:26 pm

Think this year's Etape 2 poor turnout was largely down to the weather. Those coming from abroad who have sunka lot of money in are of course likely to start come what may but the local guys who can ride the roads whenever are much more likely to not bother.

We spent the day at the finish line meeting guests and were surprised by how thin the line of finishing riders was given the supposed entry numbers!
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

caledonian1
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 21:15 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby caledonian1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 08:32 am

mrc1 wrote:Think this year's Etape 2 poor turnout was largely down to the weather. Those coming from abroad who have sunka lot of money in are of course likely to start come what may but the local guys who can ride the roads whenever are much more likely to not bother.

We spent the day at the finish line meeting guests and were surprised by how thin the line of finishing riders was given the supposed entry numbers!


was the weather so bad that some people didnt turn up. I thought it wasnt too bad. Was about 16c and fine when we left Pau.....ok a bit of rain on the hills buhere were 2000 who did not finish but I believe that number is pretty normal for an Etape?

stanthomas
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 00:05 am

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby stanthomas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 16:27 pm

Just received a mailshot from ASO promising 'something special' for the 2013 Etape du Tour to mark the 100th running of the Tour de France. So, speculation time, what would we like to see? How about two Alpine stages run back-to-back with aggregate times.

DavidCr
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 22:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby DavidCr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 13:26 pm

stanthomas wrote:Just received a mailshot from ASO promising 'something special' for the 2013 Etape du Tour to mark the 100th running of the Tour de France. So, speculation time, what would we like to see? How about two Alpine stages run back-to-back with aggregate times.

A persistent rumour for the Tour next year is Alpe d'Huez will feature twice on the same stage, perhaps something special for the 2013 Etape?

User avatar
davidof
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 09:26 am
Contact:

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby davidof » Thu Sep 20, 2012 08:34 am

DavidCr wrote:
stanthomas wrote:Just received a mailshot from ASO promising 'something special' for the 2013 Etape du Tour to mark the 100th running of the Tour de France. So, speculation time, what would we like to see? How about two Alpine stages run back-to-back with aggregate times.

A persistent rumour for the Tour next year is Alpe d'Huez will feature twice on the same stage, perhaps something special for the 2013 Etape?


Ah its possible to make an interesting stage by using one of the back routes. Bring it on I say.

User avatar
mrc1
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 14:18 pm

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby mrc1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 20:18 pm

caledonian1 wrote:
mrc1 wrote:Think this year's Etape 2 poor turnout was largely down to the weather. Those coming from abroad who have sunka lot of money in are of course likely to start come what may but the local guys who can ride the roads whenever are much more likely to not bother.

We spent the day at the finish line meeting guests and were surprised by how thin the line of finishing riders was given the supposed entry numbers!


was the weather so bad that some people didnt turn up. I thought it wasnt too bad. Was about 16c and fine when we left Pau.....ok a bit of rain on the hills buhere were 2000 who did not finish but I believe that number is pretty normal for an Etape?


We know of quite a few people that didnt bother starting. As i said, locals have much less incentive to ride if the weather is poor. Think the dropout rate was a bit higher tha usual again due to weather and the particular hard route.
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

User avatar
FransJacques
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby FransJacques » Tue Sep 25, 2012 18:21 pm

For anyone who did the Etape in 2012 - have they moved to the "safe" method of sprotive timing, i.e. just timing the flats & climbs so people don't race on the downhills?

Just wondering. I'm not a fan of it but it might save a rider's life or 3.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
---------------

User avatar
davidof
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 09:26 am
Contact:

Re: Etape du Tour 2013

Postby davidof » Tue Sep 25, 2012 18:28 pm

davidof wrote:
DavidCr wrote:
stanthomas wrote:Just received a mailshot from ASO promising 'something special' for the 2013 Etape du Tour to mark the 100th running of the Tour de France. So, speculation time, what would we like to see? How about two Alpine stages run back-to-back with aggregate times.

A persistent rumour for the Tour next year is Alpe d'Huez will feature twice on the same stage, perhaps something special for the 2013 Etape?


Ah its possible to make an interesting stage by using one of the back routes. Bring it on I say.


In fact just wondering how logistically a double ascension of l'Alpe d'Huez will work. The route is Gap -> Alpe d'Huez (presumably by the Col de Bayard and Col d'Ornon) -> Col de la Sarenne (it is being resurfaced which is a clue) then Clavans -> Bourg d'Oisans -> ADH.

With a race of 180+ riders I can see that working but a sportif with 5000+ riders will be a bit of a nightmare with tail enders blocking front runners.


Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ras_undy and 2 guests