Etape du dales - who's in

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
Brian B

Etape du dales - who's in

Postby Brian B » Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:11 pm

After 6 Fred Whitton's in a row I opted for the other big May sportive and was wondering who else is in. Done a lot of rides in the Dales and know what to expect but looking forward to this one.
Brian B.

LeighB

Re: Etape du dales - who's in

Postby LeighB » Sat Feb 02, 2013 22:43 pm

The last Sportive I did was the FWC in 2010, due to family commitments, house move etc. I have had two busy years with little cycling. Am back to normal (if there is such a thing) and have been getting out for a few hours at the weekend so tried to get an entry for the FWC but missed out so have sent in an entry for the ETD. Have not had anything to say my entry has been successful; is there somewhere I should be looking? The only bit of the route I am not familiar with is Fleet Moss, any idea what it’s like?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 22:53 pm

Not done the ride but done the course plenty of times. Toughest is part Hawes to Ribblehead. Apart from that its not 'too' difficult. Biggest challenge is the weather.

LeighB

Postby LeighB » Sat Feb 02, 2013 23:02 pm

Thanks, doesn’t sound too bad then, one of my favourite rides goes over the ‘Coal Road’ from Dent to Garsdale and I have been over the opposite way as per the ETD.

speshsteve

Postby speshsteve » Sun Feb 03, 2013 08:47 am

yep, i'm in, have never ridden there before so looking forward to it.
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2

Brian B

Postby Brian B » Sun Feb 03, 2013 09:22 am

LeighB wrote:The last Sportive I did was the FWC in 2010, due to family commitments, house move etc. I have had two busy years with little cycling. Am back to normal (if there is such a thing) and have been getting out for a few hours at the weekend so tried to get an entry for the FWC but missed out so have sent in an entry for the ETD. Have not had anything to say my entry has been successful; is there somewhere I should be looking? The only bit of the route I am not familiar with is Fleet Moss, any idea what it’s like?

Hi Leigh

I entered online and got an email straight away from British Cycling saying that the organisers had automatically accepted my entry.
Brian B.

red_eye5

Postby red_eye5 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 14:30 pm

Ive entered first timer. Hope the weather is good.

rodgers73

Postby rodgers73 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 18:00 pm

Never again - did it in 2011 and still defrosting/drying out!!

robklancs

Postby robklancs » Sun Feb 03, 2013 20:51 pm

Does it go over the coal road from garsdale to dent? That's not too hard, very steep to start, 25% but eases off for a bit then climbs again, I always thought it looked harder from the dent side, never done it this way though.

LeighB

Postby LeighB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 22:07 pm

Thanks Brian just had a look and I have the same e mail so looks like I’m in.
robklancs, looking at the route it goes over the Coal Road from Garsdale to Dent, I’ve been over both ways and think it’s harder from the Dent side as it sets off quite steep up to the Railway Station and then seems to just keep on going; quite tricky going down as well.

Wobblehead

Postby Wobblehead » Tue Feb 05, 2013 19:24 pm

robklancs wrote:Does it go over the coal road from garsdale to dent? That's not too hard, very steep to start, 25% but eases off for a bit then climbs again, I always thought it looked harder from the dent side, never done it this way though.

Correct it goes from Garsdale to Dent, your description of the climb is pretty good also. As for it not being too hard, I suppose it is all relative to ability but you will see plenty pushing...

This climb is 70miles in, depends how hard you have been riding up to then, weather, wind, gearing etc will depend on how easy it is

robklancs

Postby robklancs » Tue Feb 05, 2013 19:36 pm

Sorry, I read my post back and i need to rephrase, when I said not too hard I meant there are more difficult around but I would class it as a very difficult climb. There are not many steeper pitches than the initial slog past the station and trees, and after seventy miles and big climbs already in the leg it will be hard hard work and as you say, plenty walking. If you want a go at it this month the lune cc have their coal road reliability ride on the 24th.

Wobblehead

Postby Wobblehead » Tue Feb 05, 2013 19:58 pm

robklancs wrote:Sorry, I read my post back and i need to rephrase, when I said not too hard I meant there are more difficult around but I would class it as a very difficult climb. There are not many steeper pitches than the initial slog past the station and trees, and after seventy miles and big climbs already in the leg it will be hard hard work and as you say, plenty walking. If you want a go at it this month the lune cc have their coal road reliability ride on the 24th.

Thanks, but I'm busy on 24th....... How many times is this ride cancelled due to snow ice?

I do like the climb though, think it is harder from the other side as you say, Will be over it a few times between now and May, along with the other training hills, Bowland Knotts, Cross of Greet, Pendle Hill round, Waddy Fell, Longridge Fell Fleet Moss, Newby Head. It's good to live local to these

Just need to get the miles and hills in now, and hope for weather on Etape day like last year

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Thu Feb 07, 2013 20:19 pm

Am in. Hoping for better weather than last year. It sounded awful! Looks like a nice ride though, some good descents in there.

Wobblehead

Postby Wobblehead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 07:33 am

Last year the weather was great, cool, dry, still, think the year before was bad

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Mon May 13, 2013 11:32 am

Thought I would dust this thread off seeing as the ride is this Sunday. Everyone prepared? Anyone dreading bad weather after the reports from Sundays Fred Whitton?

I think I have just about got in enough training to avoid a bonk. The weather forecast right now is for a real feel high of 6º & with a chance of rain. Will be keeping an eye on that for sure.

Who else is riding?

red_eye5

Postby red_eye5 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 pm

First time I'm doing it. Hoping it don't pi55 down and we don't get a head wind on the way back. Will check the weather closer to the time in my experience its not that accurate 5-6 days in advance.

Umming and arring if to use my compact or do it on a 39/28 which I currently have. I did 100 mile ride a couple of weeks ago with 8500ft climbing which I managed ok.

What time are people planning to roll up to start line? I'm hoping to get there for 0730.

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Mon May 13, 2013 13:59 pm

Not really planned that far ahead yet but will want to get started reasonably early. Thankfully the very nice hotel I'm stayin at will sort out an early brekkie for me & it is pretty much over the road from the start. I'll be using a compact with an 11-28 so I can just spin out the climbs & tap out a nice steady pace on the flat. I managed a 90 miler with 1750m climbing at 16.5mph avg speed on Sunday so if I hit anything like that I will be amazed!

Anyone have an idea on gradients? Are they as vicious as the Fred or a bit more of a manageable effort?

speshsteve

Postby speshsteve » Mon May 13, 2013 14:16 pm

anyone seen the wind forecast.....gusts up to 50mph!
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue May 14, 2013 06:34 am

nunowoolmez wrote:Not really planned that far ahead yet but will want to get started reasonably early. Thankfully the very nice hotel I'm stayin at will sort out an early brekkie for me & it is pretty much over the road from the start. I'll be using a compact with an 11-28 so I can just spin out the climbs & tap out a nice steady pace on the flat. I managed a 90 miler with 1750m climbing at 16.5mph avg speed on Sunday so if I hit anything like that I will be amazed!

Anyone have an idea on gradients? Are they as vicious as the Fred or a bit more of a manageable effort?

I would say the gradients are similiar to Honister pass. Steep but short. If the Fred is difficulty 10 this is probably about 8.5. I would not want to do this on a 39/25 tbh. Fleet Moss, Buttertubs, Coal Road, Stainforth not easy by any stretch. Then you've got Tan Hill not steep but you are guaranteed a 100 mph headwind :lol:

Good luck to all this weekend and im glad im not doing it after the Fred :lol:

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”