The Ex-XXL Trophy

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
nickcuk

Postby nickcuk » Thu Mar 19, 2009 22:43 pm

Bump - the thread needs to be revived now the evenings are lighter, the weather is drier and the trousers are tighter

Jynxman

Postby Jynxman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:36 am

I am 3.5 stone lighter than 18 months ago.

I didn't take any off over winter last year, in fact I put on a stone from october to February because I stopped cycling and ate pies and drank beer :)

I cycle 18 miles a day and every 2-3 weeks I put in a 25 miler. I have stopped eating wheat based products and dairy except for skimmed milk. I do have to be careful though as if I cycle without having some form of carbs at least 20 -30 mins before I get really light headed after about 5 miles cycling. I do tend to push for 9 miles in 30 mins which is a tall order in suburban rush hour.

good luck. I am hoping to loose another 3 to 4 stone but it is getting really hard to shift now. I want to hit 12 stone but at 35 years of age I need to work hard and my legs are suffering from reductions in protein, fat and carbs. I know I am not going to be a Lance Armstrong by 38 but I can dream :)

You are right, I feel a bit alone being this size, and a forum for the oversized cyclist is a good idea, clothes discussions, exercise regimes, dieting tips etc.
Addicted to glucose tablets!

Skinarelli

Postby Skinarelli » Fri Oct 30, 2009 21:34 pm

Jynxman, you're not alone my friend.

I'm also 35 and returned to cycling 6 weeks ago after a near 13 year rest / pub crawl / feast. In my racing days (teens/early twenties) I was a skinny 11.5 stone (6ft 3"). When the scales topped 17 stone and my waist began to outsize Next's trouser collection, something had to give.

6 weeks later with virtually nil alcohol intake and a 4 day training regime I've already lost a stone in weight. Just another 3 stone to go. I might even consider a time trial or two with a winter's training under by belt.

Keep up the good work!!

bexley5200

Postby bexley5200 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 am

ive been cycling for aprox 15 years,at a weight of about 13st,but havent riden since last september,am now a portley 17st,i am now on a diet and hope to lose 3 to 4 st by the summer,and get out on the bike for the summer.
going downhill slowly

bexley5200

Postby bexley5200 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 am

ive been out on the bike 5 days,and am cutting down on junk food,crisps being the worst,choc,pasties sweets mac donalds chips, size40 jeans,its going to be hard but it will be worth it come june feb/march
Last edited by bexley5200 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 13:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
going downhill slowly

StanwaySteve62

Postby StanwaySteve62 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 21:18 pm

so, just seen this thread, what do i do? im 18+stone and starting to sort myself out (wine is my biggest weakness)

WesternWay

Postby WesternWay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 15:11 pm

Is the thread still active.

At 41 years old, 16stone and 5'8" I would like to join.

Loretta Damage

Postby Loretta Damage » Tue Aug 17, 2010 19:06 pm

Hope thread is still active - 40 years old and 6ft tall, ex rugby player. Was 18st 2 months ago and have got down to 16st 5lbs through a change of eating habits, spinning sessions and a new found love of being out on the road. I commute 13 miles each way whenever possible and get a 30-50mile training ride in most weekends - my wife says I've never managed to lose weight so easily before and I reckon it must be down to the peddling. I even took my bike, Focus Variado - brilliant by the way, on holiday and managed to lose weight. I'm aiming for 15st by October and building up to some longer rides.

bexley5200

Postby bexley5200 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 14:50 pm

im 17st ive lost 20lb the first month does any one on here had experance of losing 4/5 stone my question is will the weight loss continue at this rate or as i get smaller will the weight loss get less thank you for your comments
going downhill slowly

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 21:16 pm

bexley5200 wrote:im 17st ive lost 20lb the first month does any one on here had experance of losing 4/5 stone my question is will the weight loss continue at this rate or as i get smaller will the weight loss get less thank you for your comments

It does get smaller...

You should be able to drop to around 14 stone pretty quickly (a stone a month is more than possible). It depends on how focused you are on the weight loss.

I was on a pretty strict low carb GI diet until I hit 14 stone, but changed my diet so that I can train harder (or that's my excuse!) Also not as strict and have been known to have the occasional beer, glass of wine and sometimes night out. During my weight loss period, alcohol was a banded substance!
Simon

StanwaySteve62

Postby StanwaySteve62 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 15:57 pm

StanwaySteve62 wrote:so, just seen this thread, what do i do? im 18+stone and starting to sort myself out (wine is my biggest weakness)

8 months later I'm now 16.5 stone, and now considered by some of my peers as a pretty decent cyclist but still have the wine weakness :D

Surfr

Postby Surfr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:13 am

Started riding again back in 2008 after a 15 year hiatus. I'd recently given up smoking 20 a day and was over 15stone in weight. I'm of a stocky build anyway but for a lad of 5'7" that was well overweight.

Initially I started commuting on a heavy steel 90s MTB and got a Merlin Malt 4 on Cyclescheme for fun in the woods. Joined up with local riders who put up with my huffing, puffing and general rusty skills.

Fast forward to today. I've added to the collection a Jake the Snake 'cross bike which I've used thoroughly over the last season for riding trails, commuting, completing 100 mile sportives, 2 circuit races, 1 crit, a full season of club 10s, 3 hilly 22s and a hilly 12, 3 hill climbs, 2 cyclocross races.

I'm now down to just under 12 stone as of this morning. After the season ended, I had a little lapse as the social season kicked in but I'm back to my lowest weight again now and cross training my way through winter.

For me the key was exercise, and a controlled but not regimented diet.

Past 7 days looks something like this:

Thurs: had a go at running for the first time in 20 years. completed 3K test run with no issue.
Friday: Gym session working on leg strength, hit the wine in the evening with friends.
Saturday: No exercise, then cycling club annual dinner. 3AM finish and plenty of lager!
Sunday: 50 mile hilly club ride
Monday: another run, this time 5Km with a co-worker at lunch,
Tuesday: light swim at lunch working on technique, circuit training followed by swim training after work
Weds: timed 400m swim at lunch to get a seeding time for a triathlon, club spin session after work
Thurs: run out of clean kit so I'll hit the turbo for some intervals tonight.

This is probably more hectic than my on-season when I'd just be doing, swim training, club 10s, and a chaingang during the week and maybe a circuit race and a club run or sportive on Sunday.

2 years ago I was sedentary. I did no exercise and I was hugely unfit and overweight. Now I'm comfortable with my weight, I've had to replace my entire wardrobe, and I can even turn my hand to something like jogging and manage a 5K without any practice.

Looking forward to the local 10K run in 2 weeks, Pwllheli triathlon next year and a full season of cat 4 racing. Aim is to get to cat 3 in the season. It blows my mind thinking about it. It's been a great 2 years. Good work guys, keep up the fantastic efforts.

Not many photos from my early days back on this bike except this one from my first ride in 15 years. An early morning trip around Nant-yr-Arian

Me at 2009 Dyfi Enduro. Getting there...

Me at end of season hillclimb

Loretta Damage

Postby Loretta Damage » Wed Nov 24, 2010 16:17 pm

I've hit my 15st target, struggled to get last 5lbs off as no matter how many hours / miles I put in on the spinning / road bike no weight came off. Changed tack and started doing alot more interval (both hill & sprint) sessions and weight has started to shift again. The only downside of losing weight is that I've been really strict about not touching Guinness, decided to give myself a special treat last week and have a few pints only to find that I've gone off the stuff and now prefer a glass of decent white wine - oh the shame :oops:

I've decided that I may as well keep going with the weight loss although I am going to change my training plan to include more core strength activity and some arm work also. Will now try for 14st by end of Feb.

StanwaySteve62

Postby StanwaySteve62 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 17:00 pm

@surfr
Are you sure the bloke in the last pic is the same person ?

Surfr

Postby Surfr » Wed Nov 24, 2010 21:49 pm

StanwaySteve62 wrote:@surfr
Are you sure the bloke in the last pic is the same person ?

Yup same bloke just 3 stone missing :) went from 15+ stone to 11stone 12 at this morning's weigh in. Aiming for 11 dead in time for race season.

bexley5200

Postby bexley5200 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 22:00 pm

4 months in and i have lost 5st ive ben out on the bike for about a month i feel alot better going out on the bike but am still strugling on the hills and with the cold i try to do 2hrs exercise a day rather cycling or turbo or walking fast
going downhill slowly

Peddle2Fitness

Postby Peddle2Fitness » Sun Feb 27, 2011 22:26 pm

Hello forum, here's me at Xmas...all 19 stone 7 of me.

I'm on a mission to get down to 11.5 stone, to complete 50 miles in the Great Notts Bike Ride, to raise money for a local hospice in the process...and then cycle from London to Madrid in August 2012.

I'm documenting the process on a blog here: Peddle2Fitness

Please consider sponsoring me a £1 for the Cransley Hospice, Kettering at http://www.justgiving.com/Mawsley.

Here's me now, five weeks in and 2.5 stone lighter:

There is no question about 'if' I can do these things - in my head they're already done. :D

Peddle2Fitness

Postby Peddle2Fitness » Thu Mar 03, 2011 21:28 pm

Nice little widget I found back in the thread :D

Skinarelli

Postby Skinarelli » Thu Mar 03, 2011 22:04 pm

Skinarelli wrote:Jynxman, you're not alone my friend.

I'm also 35 and returned to cycling 6 weeks ago after a near 13 year rest / pub crawl / feast. In my racing days (teens/early twenties) I was a skinny 11.5 stone (6ft 3"). When the scales topped 17 stone and my waist began to outsize Next's trouser collection, something had to give.

6 weeks later with virtually nil alcohol intake and a 4 day training regime I've already lost a stone in weight. Just another 3 stone to go. I might even consider a time trial or two with a winter's training under by belt.

Keep up the good work!!

16 months on and now weighing in at 12st 12lb.

First road race of the seaon this Sunday!!

8)
Bald is Beautiful

Amanensia

Postby Amanensia » Thu Aug 04, 2011 09:45 am

OK I guess I could post here.

Sex: Male
Height: 5' 10"
Weight on Jan 1st this year: 18st 11.75lb
Weight this morning: 14st 8lb
Target: 12st 7lb by end October

Weight loss has been through a mix of increasing exercise and improving diet. I knocked the booze on the head until Easter, and now limit it to 1 or very occasionally 2 bottles of wine per week (used to be more like 5.) No chocolate, crisps, junk food at all. On the exercise front I started off with the "couch to 5k" running programme - I started out literally unable to run 100 yards. PB for 5km is now under 25 minutes, but hip soreness led me to move to cycling for most of my exercise - a big improvement in terms of fun and the amount of time I can keep going. Typical week now is 20 miles before work each day during the week and a 40 miler on Saturday mornings. Would love to do more but I'm already stretching the limits of what's reasonable with a wife and two young daughters at home.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”