Your TT position - pics

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!

Postby SBezza » Wed Apr 28, 2010 13:59 pm

Jeff Jones wrote:That is a big improvement - the R25/3 gives you a free minute (even more at slower average spseds) I reckon.

Cheers Jeff, lots of hard work over the winter ;). Smashed my Kent course PB by over 2 mins as well. Hopefully have a 52 min on Etwall in July, as I probably won't be going to Wales this year.
SBezza

Postby SBezza » Wed Apr 28, 2010 14:01 pm

SteveR_100Milers wrote:
Jeff Jones wrote:That is a big improvement - the R25/3 gives you a free minute (even more at slower average spseds) I reckon.

Which event was this? Port Talbot Whrs?

Disappointingly there is only one event left (this weekend) on the 'ski slope' and I have missed this one too.... :(

There is the PTW event on the 12th Sept, which has an overflow event, and the Maesteg CC event on the 14th August, again with an overflow event.
SBezza

Postby SteveR_100Milers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 14:39 pm

SBezza wrote:
SteveR_100Milers wrote:

Which event was this? Port Talbot Whrs?

Disappointingly there is only one event left (this weekend) on the 'ski slope' and I have missed this one too.... :(

There is the PTW event on the 12th Sept, which has an overflow event, and the Maesteg CC event on the 14th August, again with an overflow event.

:oops:

Missed those - assumed for some reason that 3L was on the old Glyneath road, which is nowhere near as fast as the D/C. Suddenly the world's OK again! :D
SteveR_100Milers

Postby love2ride » Sun May 02, 2010 23:59 pm

What do you reckon I can do?
love2ride

Postby Airwave » Mon May 03, 2010 22:42 pm

Just to help this is Love2rideImage
Looks a good position to me.

This is Dan Lloyd(Cervelo Test Team)breaking a course record.And he looks the pro,very aero.Image
Airwave

Postby SteveR_100Milers » Fri May 07, 2010 13:18 pm

I'm after a bit of guidance with my position. Since that picture was taken I have lowered the front by 2 spacers, and extended the bars so that the forearm reach is now correct for me. I have also just bought an adjustable stem, as I think the bike is slightly too large (its a 58, same as my road bike). I have also lost abit more weight so I cen get a bit lower, but there is a lot more to come yet.

Now the stem is 130mm, whereas the current on 110mm. At the moment, I rest my elbows on the pads, and my hand grip the ends of the bars with my fingers overlapping the shifters. This tells me the bars are a tad too short perhaps. However, my elbows are still touching my knees, hence my decision to buy a longer stem to stretch myself a bit further forward. What is the ideal position of the upper arms: vertical, elbows forward of shoulders, or behind? most pics suggest foward, i.e. slightly stretched out position which I guess also opens up the hip angle too.

I'm going to take a couple of photos of current position + stem, and the new one, but it seems to me that my position needs a lot of work as I am not seeing anyhting like as much benefit from the TT bike compared to the majority of other clube members I ride with.
SteveR_100Milers

Postby Jeff Jones » Fri May 07, 2010 16:59 pm

love2ride wrote:Image
What do you reckon I can do?

It's pretty good but you could raise your bars. You might end up with more power but not lose any aeroness.
Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
Jeff Jones
Editor

Postby SBezza » Mon May 10, 2010 13:29 pm

Here are couple from the weekend, position looks better now, and the Kask helmet fits better than the Bell

SBezza

Postby Bhima » Wed May 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Good thread. I shall get someone to photograph me and post it up.

What i've noticed about most people with imperfect positions, seen both in this thread and elsewhere, is that they have the bars set up too high so can't physically get lower.

I find that I adapted very quickly to a low position by slamming the bars right down but I can see how one would get put off by the initial pain of doing so. This sport is all about adapting to pain and so the best way to improve is to start in the position you want to ride in and gradually get better, as opposed to constantly changing position (lowering bars in steps every month or so) and confusing your body.

Do you really get an advantage by sitting really far forward? I find myself shifting backwards as it helps me get lower. I can't imagine the pain you are all going through "downstairs".
Bhima

Postby SBezza » Wed May 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Lower is not always best, if you can't put out the power in the lower position, you might end up slower, it is a compromise between putting out maximum power and being aero.

I personally can't get any lower at the front, (the frame/stem won't allow it), but my position now is very comfortable, I can get the power out, and it is pretty aero.

You naturally end up on the nose of the saddle, you do shift around a bit still, and it can be a little painful.

The top photo of me above is about 42 miles into a 50 mile TT, so very happy that I am maintaining a good aero position after that distance.
SBezza

Postby hopper1 » Wed May 12, 2010 13:00 pm

Bhima wrote:Good thread. I shall get someone to photograph me and post it up.

What i've noticed about most people with imperfect positions, seen both in this thread and elsewhere, is that they have the bars set up too high so can't physically get lower.

I find that I adapted very quickly to a low position by slamming the bars right down but I can see how one would get put off by the initial pain of doing so. This sport is all about adapting to pain and so the best way to improve is to start in the position you want to ride in and gradually get better, as opposed to constantly changing position (lowering bars in steps every month or so) and confusing your body.

Do you really get an advantage by sitting really far forward? I find myself shifting backwards as it helps me get lower. I can't imagine the pain you are all going through "downstairs".

Really... :roll:
You don't think that slowly stretching muscles and tendons to adapt your target position is more beneficial than just 'slamming' your bars down, etc, and running the risk of tearing something, or getting a long term injury?

You dissappear for ages, then just turn up and spout sh!te, again... FFS!
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
hopper1

Postby Bhima » Wed May 12, 2010 13:15 pm

It worked for me. I went very hard and did not get injuries. In fact, I don't see how I could have gone harder when I was first adapting to the position.

Of course, stretching is important. I just didn't mention it.

There's a difference between injury pain and training pain. Obviously, if you feel your muscles are being pushed too far then you should stop. I have no argument with that, though to get to that point, you have to be very inflexible and 99% of people will be ok.
Bhima

Postby DaveyL » Wed May 12, 2010 15:20 pm

Check out the Sky TTT, they all seem to have really excellent positions on the TT bike.
DaveyL

Postby a_n_t » Mon May 17, 2010 22:45 pm

Quite happy with my position now. I just need to find a comfy saddle! The toupe is great on the road bike but its a bit painfull perched on the end of it for an hour or so!

Manchester wheelers

PB's
10m 20:52 2013
25m 53:18 20:13
50m 1:57:12 2013
100m Yeah right.
a_n_t

Postby NapoleonD » Mon May 17, 2010 22:49 pm

I think I'm finally getting somewhere with my TT position...

Actually looking forward to Weds now...
NapoleonD

Postby hopper1 » Tue May 18, 2010 07:19 am

a_n_t wrote:Quite happy with my position now. I just need to find a comfy saddle! The toupe is great on the road bike but its a bit painfull perched on the end of it for an hour or so!

I'm just finishing a TT build. I too, like the Toupe, so I've gone for a Specialized Tri Tip saddle, just waiting on JE James to deliver.... :evil:
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
hopper1

Postby nmcgann » Tue May 18, 2010 07:48 am

a_n_t wrote:Quite happy with my position now. I just need to find a comfy saddle! The toupe is great on the road bike but its a bit painfull perched on the end of it for an hour or so!

The Selle Italia SLR T1 is a great saddle for TT use as it has a broad padded nose. I do 2h+ rides on mine with no problems.

I use an Arione on the road bike(s), but it is unbearable on the TT bike (unless you like a pointy bit stuck where the sun doesn't shine).
nmcgann

Postby NapoleonD » Tue May 18, 2010 09:04 am

nmcgann wrote:

The Selle Italia SLR T1 is a great saddle for TT use as it has a broad padded nose. I do 2h+ rides on mine with no problems.

I use an Arione on the road bike(s), but it is unbearable on the TT bike (unless you like a pointy bit stuck where the sun doesn't shine).

I had terrible trouble trying to get comfortable on my TT bike until I tried that very saddle. Grand stuff!
NapoleonD

Postby Jeff Jones » Tue May 18, 2010 10:06 am

SBezza wrote:Here are couple from the weekend, position looks better now, and the Kask helmet fits better than the Bell

It's obviously working for you Steve - nice going on the sub-21 in the Lea Valley 10!
Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
Jeff Jones
Editor

Postby Pokerface » Tue May 18, 2010 10:34 am

You might save a second or two on your times Ant - if you cover up that valve hole on the disc wheel! 8)
Pokerface

PreviousNext

Return to Training, Fitness and Health