Sports 'Products' Do Not Work

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Carl_P

Sports 'Products' Do Not Work

Postby Carl_P » Thu Jul 19, 2012 06:51 am

Panorama tonight at 8pm (clashes with Wiggo documentary)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293
Van Nicholas Euros
Dolan Preffisio
Giant SCR2
Specialized Langster

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

T.M.H.N.E.T

Re: Sports 'Products' Do Not Work

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Thu Jul 19, 2012 07:34 am

Tell those chaps cycling around France to come home then

ps: The article (if you bothered to read it) focuses on Lucozade and other products manufactured by GSK

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Thu Jul 19, 2012 08:12 am

I thought the point was that they don't necessarily do what the manufacturer's are claiming, but they still work in terms of providing nutrition/hydration. So for example in a race (the only time you should really need 'sports nutrition'), a few gels would give you the carbs you need in the same way a sandwich would, only eating a sandwich usually isn't possible (in amateur racing anyway). FWIW I picked up a Sky musette from the national road race champs a few weeks back and there was still some food in it - a ham and phili sandwich and a jam and phili sandwich. Good old regular food works best when it's possible to eat it....

What it probably does show is that you may as well save yourself some cash and just buy the ingredients you need to make your own energy/electrolyte/recovery drinks instead of buying the overpriced stuff that has various other stuff added, the performance enhancing effect of which is based on flaky research.
More problems but still living....

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Thu Jul 19, 2012 08:49 am

amaferanga wrote:What it probably does show is that you may as well save yourself some cash and just buy the ingredients you need to make your own energy/electrolyte/recovery drinks instead of buying the overpriced stuff that has various other stuff added, the performance enhancing effect of which is based on flaky research.

I'm naively hoping the same. Their take on recovery products(if there is one) interests me more though.

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Thu Jul 19, 2012 09:30 am

What ever you do, do not trust the food and drinks industry

dw300

Postby dw300 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 am

Ron Stuart wrote:What ever you do, do not trust the food and drinks industry

Yes. You are responsible for what you ingest. Leaving your nutritional requirements to a businessman or men is inadvisable. Look at what professional athletes eat and drink, learn why they do that, and then apply the knowledge to your own situation.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

brettjmcc

Postby brettjmcc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 13:57 pm

Carl_P wrote:Panorama tonight at 8pm (clashes with Wiggo documentary)

What channel is that on?
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

dw300

Postby dw300 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 14:34 pm

brettjmcc wrote:
Carl_P wrote:Panorama tonight at 8pm (clashes with Wiggo documentary)

What channel is that on?

ITV4 :)
Bike Radar Strava Club

ricklilley

Postby ricklilley » Thu Jul 19, 2012 20:11 pm

Quite an interesting watch. Found the comments about zero calorie energy drinks funny.
Specialized Allez sport 2010
Handsome Dog framed MTB

Cornish-J

Postby Cornish-J » Thu Jul 19, 2012 20:20 pm

i thought it was utterly bias. They were very clever in how they dismissed the claims made by the products.

dw300

Postby dw300 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 20:47 pm

Lol .. if you're a couch potato with no actual sporting ambition you don't need sports supplements .. shocker.

If you take a marketing departments advice as gospel over a trained professional's, it's the product manufacturers fault .. o_O .. hmmmm

Yes Graham, bread and jam .. nothing to do with your frontal cross sectional area ;)

If you eat a balanced diet you don't need any supps .. hands up if your diet is perfect .. yeh, not many. If the supp companies marketed with "Post ride recovery drinks .. easier than making your dinner after you f*cked yourself doing an awesome workout" would there be this much furore?? If it's a toss up between the drink and falling asleep on the couch having not eaten or drunk anything, the sports drink is infinitely superior.

That program was a lot like this forum, arguing marketing and semantics, and presuming most users are idiots. It's just butthurt journalists and scientists sore because clever people are taking gullible peoples' money. All advertising is the same whether its sport supps or toilet cleaners. I feel bad for the people who died, but that shows you need to do your research if your pushing the limits of your health.

It also sucked that they only looked at the research that the companies provided or had on their websites, rather than look for other research.
Last edited by dw300 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 20:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bike Radar Strava Club

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 20:56 pm

Nah.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Thu Jul 19, 2012 21:01 pm

Was out riding my bike so haven't watched it yet. Seems interesting from the feedback already, I'll add to it tomorrow :lol:

TheEnglishman

Postby TheEnglishman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 21:04 pm

Cornish-J wrote:i thought it was utterly bias. They were very clever in how they dismissed the claims made by the products.

Did we watch the same program? Didn't the head of whatever at FIFA say they wouldn't endorse any products unless there was per reviewed evidence? And didn't the same guy say none had yet appeared?

Show us the evidence of products benefiting us and we'll endorse it.

Then there's Greame Obrey saying he just ate a balanced diet.

Kind of good evidence to me....

Oh - and what's wrong with making dinner *before* you head out on a big run? Slow cookers are wonderful things....

mattshrops

Postby mattshrops » Thu Jul 19, 2012 21:29 pm

Was quite interesting, but they did focus on things like kids playing football and drinking sports drinks. Obviously theres alot of bs and marketing with these products but its hardly the same level of exercise as doing a 4 hour hilly ride?
Death or Glory- Just another Story

dw300

Postby dw300 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 21:32 pm

TheEnglishman wrote:Oh - and what's wrong with making dinner *before* you head out on a big run? Slow cookers are wonderful things....

Nothing, apart from the fact that the once in a while sports participants they're saying are being taken advantage of won't be that prepared if they're the type that are looking a quick fix.

That's the issue, marketing to those type of people using questionable claims.

We on this forum probably use very few of these supps because we know better, the casual sportsperson doesn't and ends up forking out. I take a protein supp because it helps keep my calorie intake low and is in actual fact gram-for-gram about the cheapest protein you can get .. half as cheap as chicken, 1/3 the calories of milk, convenient, etc.
Bike Radar Strava Club

P_Tucker

Postby P_Tucker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 04:53 am

mattshrops wrote:Was quite interesting, but they did focus on things like kids playing football and drinking sports drinks. Obviously theres alot of bs and marketing with these products but its hardly the same level of exercise as doing a 4 hour hilly ride?

No-one is claiming that Lucozade for e.g. doesn't contain carbs, and that these carbs wouldn't help on a 4 hour ride. But Lucozade is no better than orange squash, some sugar and a dash of salt which costs about tuppence.

The best scam ever has to be "lite" sports drinks. Heres one part normal sports drink, two parts water - and we'll charge the same. I don't like marketing people, but god damn I respect the person who thought of that.

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Fri Jul 20, 2012 08:46 am

Like it or not we are a nation largely made up of cannon fodder to the biggest industry in the world. No? well check out the obesity rise. You have only got to walk down any street in Britain to see the problem.

Time to regulate the food and drink mafia, they are literally disabling and killing people.

Health for the nation or profit for the shareholders, what would you rather see prioritised :?:

Pseudo sport drinks or the food contains extra fruit!! it's just the same bullsh*t marketing that huge numbers of the population continue to fall victim to. :evil:

bahzob

Postby bahzob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 09:13 am

I think part of the problem is that unless you actually do training its difficult to appreciate just how much exercise you have to do in order to justify using a sports product (or burn of the energy of a snack that takes 10s to eat).

Not entirely tongue in cheek rather than print lots of numbers about the nutritional content (which many ignore/don't understand) it may be more useful to print an exercise equivalent.
e.g.
1 bottle orange lucozade - walk 2 miles
1 big mac - run 4 miles

Term1te

Postby Term1te » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:09 am

Whilst I agree with most of what was said on Panorama they did rather lean on the stereotype of evil big industry and hard working underfunded scientist crusading for the truth. I am a scientist, you'll have to guess which side of the fence I'm on. They kept saying that industry couldn't put forward any published evidence to support their products (which they probably can't), and yet also said that they couldn't accept particular evidence because it was funded by industry and was therefore tainted. So who's going to pay for the studies then?

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”