The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Roubaixsl3

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Roubaixsl3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 17:10 pm

I'm wondering whether to continue on the Experienced century high volume plan or switch to something that will work me at/near FTP for longer. I just don't feel I'm benefiting from the longer duration/lower output sessions, but is that just my perception ?. My goal is to be able to do 100 mile sportives at a higher average speed than previously, hence choosing the century plan. I have good aerobic fitness anyway, it's my legs that pack in normally, so can I improve on this by hitting the higher output workouts ?. I don't want to waste weeks of training only to find I'm no quicker than last year. I didn't follow one of the plans for the first 2 months I just concentrated on improving my FTP, don't want all that effort to go to waste now.

Simmotino

Postby Simmotino » Wed Jan 16, 2013 17:20 pm

The longer rides will get your legs used to the prolonged efforts (and your a**e time in the saddle! :wink: ) so they most likely will be benefitting you.

If you don't feel there is enough effort involved, perhaps bump the workouts to 105/110% of FTP so that you are still running to the plan but at a higher effort load.

chazh

Postby chazh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 19:08 pm

Hi, maybe someone can offer a little advice to a relatively new TrainerRoad user. I signed up towards the end of last year and have been working through the Intermediate Base I Plan, which I've certainly been feeling the benefit of. I'm about to finish that this week, and will then have an enforced break from the bike for about two weeks due to travel. Once I'm back I'll look to get on to a new plan - and that's where the question comes in.

My main aim for this year is a number of sportives, and in general increasing the length and duration of the rides I do; do you think I would be sensible in moving to one of the Novice Century plans next, or would I see more benefit from doing Base II? I know there's not really a 'right' answer, but I'd be interested in any opinions.

What are the strengths / weaknesses of those two plans compared to each other?

Thanks
Chaz

Roubaixsl3

Postby Roubaixsl3 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 05:27 am

Simmotino wrote:The longer rides will get your legs used to the prolonged efforts (and your a**e time in the saddle! :wink: ) so they most likely will be benefitting you.

If you don't feel there is enough effort involved, perhaps bump the workouts to 105/110% of FTP so that you are still running to the plan but at a higher effort load.

The intervals at or just below FTP are pushing me really hard so scaling up the entire workout is no use. I've done Window twice now and just increased the effort during the low output efforts. This makes it feel more like an endurance ride but maybe I'm still missing the point and should stick to the prescribed efforts otherwise may be over doing it. I need convincing about the science of lower effort workouts with longer durations.

Simmotino

Postby Simmotino » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 am

Roubaixsl3 wrote:
Simmotino wrote:The longer rides will get your legs used to the prolonged efforts (and your a**e time in the saddle! :wink: ) so they most likely will be benefitting you.

The intervals at or just below FTP are pushing me really hard so scaling up the entire workout is no use. I've done Window twice now and just increased the effort during the low output efforts. This makes it feel more like an endurance ride but maybe I'm still missing the point and should stick to the prescribed efforts otherwise may be over doing it. I need convincing about the science of lower effort workouts with longer durations.

If the intervals are pushing you hard, then they will be working and the recovery intervals are there for just that purpose and to avoid over stressing your legs. If the intervals begin to get easier, then you know you are beginning to reap the benefits.

There are probably a hundred and one different approaches to achieve what you are after but increasing power - and the length of time for which you can maintain that power - will certainly be one of them.

Roubaixsl3

Postby Roubaixsl3 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Simmotino wrote:
Roubaixsl3 wrote:

If the intervals are pushing you hard, then they will be working and the recovery intervals are there for just that purpose and to avoid over stressing your legs. If the intervals begin to get easier, then you know you are beginning to reap the benefits.

There are probably a hundred and one different approaches to achieve what you are after but increasing power - and the length of time for which you can maintain that power - will certainly be one of them.

Agree about the recovery intervals, however on Window, there's a 20 minute effort at relatively low output, followed by three sub-FTP 10 minute intervals with 5 minutes recovery inbetween, then another 20 minute low output slog. It's the 20 minute efforts that seem a bit pointless to me, they're too long for recovery and too low an output for any power benefit. I know it's not an exact science, I'll just play around with the efforts to ensure I feel that I'm getting a benefit from them.

Roubaixsl3

Postby Roubaixsl3 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:31 pm

I think I just need to be patient. The intensities do increase during the programme, I'll stick to the rules :)

kleinstroker

Postby kleinstroker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 15:09 pm

Just realized that when I updated the app to latest version, I forgot to change the default wheel circumference of 2070 to 2096 (700x23).
Does anyone know if that means the results are lower or higher than they should have been?

cheers
My Men 2016: Julian Alaphilippe, Romain Bardet, Mikael Cherel, Tom Dumoulin, Tony Gallopin, Mikel Landa, Ritchie Porte, Zdenek Stybar, Alejandro Valverde

mattshrops

Postby mattshrops » Thu Jan 17, 2013 19:43 pm

Todays effort
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/163325

Was fairly pleased with my ability to hold that effort for the full duration.The 60min CP curve in golden cheetah always seems a bit overstimated.Now gradually filling in some gaps.

Rested on wednesday, and not sure if it was a combination of workouts including disaster on saturday, But after doing angels on tues and being left with some residual tiredness in my legs I am now doubting whether i'll be able to complete the sufferfest tour. Suck it and see for now i guess.

Anyhoo heavy snow forecast i can feel a Disaster coming on saturday. See if i can last longer than last week :wink:

Edit- anyone for a mass Disasterhttp://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/6589?
Death or Glory- Just another Story

SkyBlueAmateur

Postby SkyBlueAmateur » Thu Jan 17, 2013 20:35 pm

Have just signed up and apparently have an FTP of 238. Whether this is any good or not is beyond me but I presume this is a starting point for training and something that I hope to increase as I follow a plan.

Anyone any recommendations for a decent plan to start with? (I'm sure this has been done to death, so apologies, but haven't got time to trawl through the 3 million pages :mrgreen: )

Thanks

Simmotino

Postby Simmotino » Thu Jan 17, 2013 21:03 pm

In short, Base I ;)

SkyBlueAmateur

Postby SkyBlueAmateur » Thu Jan 17, 2013 21:12 pm

Great. Thank you.

ChrisSA

Postby ChrisSA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 21:42 pm

Evening Fellas.

Sufferfest's Angels tonight. All in the big ring.
Though I have to admit to a lack of moral fibre, and turned the middle 4minutes of the last interval down to 90%. Put it back up for the final lump and the huge effort at the end. I really wish I'd just stuck it out now, I mean...4 minutes!

Big power drop off when I tried to move the pointer!

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/163596

Crozza

Postby Crozza » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 am

I think my version of trainerroad is broken - during the 20 minutes intervals in Gray the timer slows to an absolute crawl

anyone else experienced this? :wink:

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Crozza wrote:I think my version of trainerroad is broken - during the 20 minutes intervals in Gray the timer slows to an absolute crawl

anyone else experienced this? :wink:

I'd synch up just to be sure all your workouts are safe, then uninstall and put the newest version backon assuming your laptop has no other issues

I've never had an issue with the applet in the 6 months have been using TR.

jotko

Postby jotko » Fri Jan 18, 2013 15:37 pm

Just did Baxter, did it fixed gear, found it pretty easy tbh, although did sweat a lot so hopefully its doing good! Went all out in higher gear for final 1 minute to keep it interesting.

1hr30 on the turbo does make my backside go to sleep though, even with my shiny new bibs :)

colinsmith123

Postby colinsmith123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 18:59 pm

I've cleared the shed
I've installed the electrics
I've plugged in the ANT+ stick to the laptop
I've set up the turbo
I've got the Pifco fan
I've downloaded roadtrainer software
I've just realised I don't have enough sockets, doh!
I've got to go to B&Q in the morning!
Live to ski
Ski to live

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Fri Jan 18, 2013 19:50 pm

Dont know who this guy is http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/164153 but pushing 400 watts out with a HR of 122 ...? this boy cant compute that at all

Garryboy

Postby Garryboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 21:07 pm

JGSI wrote:Dont know who this guy is http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/164153 but pushing 400 watts out with a HR of 122 ...? this boy cant compute that at all

Had a fairly meteoric rise since joining on 1st Dec when net power was around 210w. Lance, is that you? :D

daveyok

Postby daveyok » Fri Jan 18, 2013 21:32 pm

Lamarck is a bit shock to the system!

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/164999?best=1066820

After Base I, mainly in the sweet spot, to go to10 min threshold intervals (at a higher FTP) with only 2 min rests.........it's no easy introduction to Base II.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”