The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
colinsmith123

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby colinsmith123 » Thu May 16, 2013 18:18 pm

Struggled through stage 4 this morning. Struggled to get up the stairs at work today. Struggled to stay awake on the train home. Hoping I will not struggle to start stage 5. It is taking its toll!
Live to ski
Ski to live

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Thu May 16, 2013 23:07 pm

colinsmith123 wrote:Struggled through stage 4 this morning. Struggled to get up the stairs at work today. Struggled to stay awake on the train home. Hoping I will not struggle to start stage 5. It is taking its toll!

It's not just me then!

MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Thu May 16, 2013 23:14 pm

Excuses, excuses, excuses... it seems it's just work, work.. work..

Started with good intentions, but started late and have failed to catch up..

So, it seems I'm doing every other for this (poor effort) tour..

Stage 1
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/317924

Stage 3
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/320600

Stage 5
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/322027

Have done them all at 100%, but now using Virtual Power rather than PT, and although I'm sure I have lost fitness and have kept by FTP the same, have found these easier than the Suffer Tour. I am also using Virtual Power (PT is now on the road), and think the Virtual P is over estimating... unless of course, I've done the minimum amount of exercise, but gained power over the last few weeks!

Anyway, although not fully engaged this time, trying my best to complete as much as possible. I think ideally there needs (for me, on my second 'tour') a little bit more flexibility with the timings.... think an extra 24 hrs would do it.
Simon

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:32 am

Decisions, decisions.... Hot sunny weather..

- TR Stage 6 Suffering
- Pleasurable ride in the sunshine
Simon

daveyok

Postby daveyok » Fri May 17, 2013 18:31 pm

Anyone know if FTP is automatically calculated by doing Sufferfest Rubber Glove?

Cheers :D

NUFCrichard

Postby NUFCrichard » Fri May 17, 2013 20:27 pm

Just popped my Trainer Road cherry by doing the 20 minute test. Can't say much more than ouch!
I am using Virtual Power on Elite Arion Mag rollers with an amended wheel circumference as they say on their forum. It is really great software, even if my FTP wasn't quite what I was hoping for at 258.

I have looked for the hour of power workout on TR but can't find it. Does anyone know if it has a special name or something?

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sat May 18, 2013 19:58 pm

NUFCrichard wrote:Just popped my Trainer Road cherry by doing the 20 minute test. Can't say much more than ouch!
I am using Virtual Power on Elite Arion Mag rollers with an amended wheel circumference as they say on their forum. It is really great software, even if my FTP wasn't quite what I was hoping for at 258.

I have looked for the hour of power workout on TR but can't find it. Does anyone know if it has a special name or something?

TR call it Needham as their version of HoP

gavt0333

Postby gavt0333 » Sun May 19, 2013 06:21 am

So as we come to stage 8 how is everyone feeling? I don't think I have left a single muscle untouched and am having to drink ever greater quantities of coffee to maintain a semblance of normal life and to be able to rise from seating. I shall be taking 3 days off the bike till Wednesday as every time I get back on it my immediate inclination is to get straight back off again and go sit on a comfy seat that isn't some ridiculous hard, rubbing affair. Respect to those who get on a bike every day for 25 or so days. You must literally have refined chamois leather down there to be able to hack it. :P

colinsmith123

Postby colinsmith123 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 am

Really looking forward to finishing stage 8 tomorrow and then it'll be over. A few days rest combined with PROPER recovery rides, then to find out if it was all worth it with an FTP test. Hoping (nay praying) for something close to a 10% increase. And then on to the best bit, the pain cycle starts all over again, joy!
Live to ski

Ski to live

Bokoshoko

Postby Bokoshoko » Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 am

Just wrapped the 8 DC up, the final stage was a nice workout and dispelled some of the demons from yesterday's stage.

Overall I think TR did an excellent job, I've "enjoyed" every stage, grabbed 25 odd PRs and found the whole experience pretty rewarding.

3 days off then probably some mucking about on the MTB before FTP retest - judging by the TT trial I can expect an improvement which is great.

ChrisSA

Postby ChrisSA » Sun May 19, 2013 22:14 pm

I'm done! The last sprint was an exercise in futility, watching the power number decrease. I really enjoyed it, in the sick hurting kind of way, and also looking forward to an FTP increase.

I'm back running next week after a layoff. This week (M-S) has been almost 8 hours cycling and 2 hrs swimming, so no cycling next week.

Looking forward to my next 10mi TT too.

gavt0333

Postby gavt0333 » Mon May 20, 2013 09:31 am

I'll be doing an FTP at the end of the week. I think my body will require a bit of a break before though! I thought overall it was excellent and I actually watched my power go up a bit during the week, apart from stage 7 where I felt I did well just to hold at a little over what the computer asked of me. Can't see it hurting my riding at all though. Properly sore today however :)

colinsmith123

Postby colinsmith123 » Mon May 20, 2013 18:59 pm

Absolutely cracked in two, half way through stage 8. Completely fell apart, struggling even to attain recovery pace for the rest of the stage.

This is possibly the hardest training session I've done in a long time and think the guys at TrainerRoad got it absolutely spot on for those that completed it.

And just like everyone else, some serious recovery time now and an FTP test at the weekend.
Live to ski

Ski to live

Hollow-legs

Postby Hollow-legs » Mon May 20, 2013 22:45 pm

Congratulations to all those that finished the TOUR,,,,All 8 stages ,Well done lads!

Me! I did a WIGGINS and crashed out of the tour at stage 6 ,the TT ,,,just one stage too far for my body and mind,I managed 46 minutes of the TT stage ,,came to the last two minutes of the TT and i was hanging on ,legs had nothing left,lungs empty,,,I had to stop ,could not find the energy or stamania to get my power back up for the climb at the end,,,I gave up totally knackered .

The event had caught up with my body big time,,,I had problems with a painful knee ,could not walk up the stairs without using all fours like a chimp :D

I am annoyed i did not finish the last 2 stages ,,but i know when my body is telling me to rest,,I did better than i thought i would ,went further than i thought,Never worked out so hard apart from the 8 minute tests,,I learnt a lot about my body,,,How far i can push it?

I have to thank trainerroad for the tour ,it was fun and really motivated me ,I never got any PBs :x
I stayed off the turbo and TR for the weekend ,today i did "cardinal" workout and i really struggled to hit my FTP it seems i have lost some power or fitness since i completed base 1 plan...At least knee is better and holding out :)

NUFCrichard

Postby NUFCrichard » Fri May 24, 2013 19:22 pm

I just did Angels on Trainer Road. Would I be right in saying that if you can complete it at 100%, then your FTP is wrong?! It asked for an average of 116% of FTP for the last 8 minute interval. I was under the impression that you could only do 111% of FTP for 8 minutes! Fair to say it isn't easy.

handful

Postby handful » Fri May 24, 2013 19:45 pm

NUFCrichard wrote:I just did Angels on Trainer Road. Would I be right in saying that if you can complete it at 100%, then your FTP is wrong?! It asked for an average of 116% of FTP for the last 8 minute interval. I was under the impression that you could only do 111% of FTP for 8 minutes! Fair to say it isn't easy.

Possibly but could be other factors like an inconsistent set up, tyre pressure etc. When was the last time you did a test?
Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
GT I-Drive 5 - mud
GT Avalanche 1.0 2008 - now sold

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sat May 25, 2013 07:35 am

NUFCrichard wrote:I just did Angels on Trainer Road. Would I be right in saying that if you can complete it at 100%, then your FTP is wrong?! It asked for an average of 116% of FTP for the last 8 minute interval. I was under the impression that you could only do 111% of FTP for 8 minutes! Fair to say it isn't easy.

Don't get hungup on FTP number - some days you are better , some days you are worse.
If ANGELS felt easy to do , then repeat it again, if still easy , then ok do a FTP re test.
No Sufferfest should feel easy to accomplish.
However, you have to fine tune your own ability to gauge perceived exertion - don't lie to yourself basically.

fukawitribe

Postby fukawitribe » Sat May 25, 2013 08:06 am

NUFCrichard wrote:It asked for an average of 116% of FTP for the last 8 minute interval. I was under the impression that you could only do 111% of FTP for 8 minutes! Fair to say it isn't easy.

There's a reason it's called The Sufferfest...

cotti

Postby cotti » Sat May 25, 2013 20:39 pm

Great thread:)

colinsmith123

Postby colinsmith123 » Sun May 26, 2013 15:47 pm

I did a 20 min FTP test today repeating 8DC stage 6 to gauge whether there has been any gains. I was aspiring for a 15% improvement, but happy to settle for an increase of 10%.

Has anyone else who did the 8DC re-tested their FTP this weekend and had similar gains?
Live to ski

Ski to live

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”