The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
JGSI

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby JGSI » Fri Aug 03, 2012 07:43 am

Eyorerox wrote:Some more discussion
I could not find the Tacx satoris on Trainer Road
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/genera ... 70667.html

In your Trainer Road profile page you just choose the Turbo or trainer you have... Sartori is there in the list
The 4 refers to the resistance setting you want to use from 1 to 10.
On 4 , it is enough for me to use the gearing on the bike to mimic best the 'road feel'

The main issue with longer turbo sessions is the tendency to stay rooted in 1 position all the time.. this leads to mega discomfort.. for me anything over 60 minutes is a bit of a challenge... you see guys doing the 3 hour workouts and wondering.. not for me.
The most recommended trainer appears to the Kurt Kinetic.. however that is one pricey trainer!

phy2sll2

Postby phy2sll2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 08:45 am

So, has anyone done one or more of their 'plans'?

I like the idea of integration with sufferfest, but without that sort of motivation, I can't imagine myself bashing out three workouts a week on the trainer.

whojanicanackerov

Postby whojanicanackerov » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:24 am

dw300 wrote:Ha, yeh, I just did my first TR ride ..

I went out about 1930 for a ride, and punctured after 16 miles, less than 5 mins walk from home, so I just walked it in. Then I watched a bit of the Olympics and jumped on the trainer after I'd changed my tube.

I did the '20 Minute Test' at about midnight. I guessed my FTP to be about 170 (lol, yes I'm a lightweight) based on Strava's estimation for on the road TT efforts, but put in 160 as I was feeling lazy and didn't want to hurt too much. I also figured it didn't really matter at this point since the test is for calculation FTP anyway.

Jumped on, did the first half hour and thought it felt about right, maybe a little easy. It was looking for me to sustain 170W for the 20 mins, but I tried to hold it around 190 to start with and gradually let it slide. Averaged 182W for the 20 mins.

A few thoughts went through my head during the test ..

1. Half way through the 20 minute part i had a pain right in my left knee cap. I've had it before once or twice, but as long as it doesn't get too sore I just work through it, which I did.

2. I had another pain in a tendon behind my right knee. I've had that a lot too, usually when I don't get a break from pedalling for a long time. Probably just a bit of tendinitis.

2b. My HR didn't go above 170. My max is about 185-188, and I can sustain 180+ on the road for a number of minutes. But on the trainer I just couldn't push it harder, not because of heart or lung limitations, but because my legs hurt.

3. I'm going to turn the 'pedal to start' function off so that I can take breaks from pedalling during the rest periods, if I start to hurt.

4. My ar$e really hurt!

Soooo .. even though I do about 90 miles a week, plus a couple of light trainer sessions, I was completely unprepared for a tough trainer session. But being able to stand up or stop pedalling should see those ache's and pains right.

But I think this has highlighted a weakness. I get by by spinning everywhere. When I'm out and there's a headwind I simply slow down if I'm solo. I wheelsuck if I'm in a group! I like putting my effort in on climbs instead. Riding the trainer in that big a gear feels like riding into a stiff headwind .. feels more a strain on my legs than my fitness.

Has avoiding pushing the big gears been to my detriment? I am getting faster, but am I limiting my progress? I usually avoid it to reduce recovery times so I can get out more.

Is there a difference between generating x amount of power spinning up a steep climb, compared to churning along on the flat? I know that some people say that that big gear training is useless, and you'll go further by spinning. But I'm having second thoughts.

Any advice?

PS. I'm dw300 on TR.

Advice would be,Start at eliminating riding pain getting your bike fit spot on.
You may have already done all this but maybe you could rework things again.
Make sure cleats on shoes have the balls of your feet central to peddle axle.
Feel your kneecap and just below it on the outer side of the knee cap is a bone that sticks out slightly take a piece of string with a weight on the bottom and their should be a straight line from that bone to the pedal axle.
Get someone else to check it whilst your sat properly on your bike.
This should then rule out knee pains.
Your right about sitting at the back of the pack on club runs on the flat get up front and do some work into the wind.It will make you strong!!
Big gear work will make your legs stronger.If you keep training the same way then you will keep with the same results you need to mix things up to get stronger.
I strongly recommend the 20 minute power accelerator plan on TR... if you follow it to the T you will progress to the next level.
I`m PendlePunisher on TR

dw300

Postby dw300 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 14:08 pm

whojanicanackerov wrote:Advice would be,Start at eliminating riding pain getting your bike fit spot on.
You may have already done all this but maybe you could rework things again.
Make sure cleats on shoes have the balls of your feet central to peddle axle.
Feel your kneecap and just below it on the outer side of the knee cap is a bone that sticks out slightly take a piece of string with a weight on the bottom and their should be a straight line from that bone to the pedal axle.
Get someone else to check it whilst your sat properly on your bike.
This should then rule out knee pains.
Your right about sitting at the back of the pack on club runs on the flat get up front and do some work into the wind.It will make you strong!!
Big gear work will make your legs stronger.If you keep training the same way then you will keep with the same results you need to mix things up to get stronger.
I strongly recommend the 20 minute power accelerator plan on TR... if you follow it to the T you will progress to the next level.
I`m PendlePunisher on TR

Thanks for the advice, i'll give those things a try. It'll be interesting to try something different and see what performance difference it makes.

As far as set up goes, i recently bought a new inline seat post to get me further forward, however I think I could probably go forward more. I could probably do with shorter cranks I reckon. I might change them when my chainring needs changed next. Can you get a seat post with forward offset?

Can you not 'follow' people on TR?
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

dw300

Postby dw300 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 14:11 pm

phy2sll2 wrote:So, has anyone done one or more of their 'plans'?

I like the idea of integration with sufferfest, but without that sort of motivation, I can't imagine myself bashing out three workouts a week on the trainer.

I'd kinda like to maybe 3 road rides a week and maybe 1-2 trainer sessions per week during the summer. So I'm looking for one that might let me do that. I've not read their advice on combining road and trainer work yet.
Bike Radar Strava Club

whojanicanackerov

Postby whojanicanackerov » Fri Aug 03, 2012 15:49 pm

Dw300 Ive been training since 1st jan this year and I have found that the turbo has been the key factor in helPing develop my ftp.i think most coaches have you doing turbo work as on the road there are variables.on the turbo conditions don't change and you can't stop pedalling or it shows in the results.Two structured turbo sessions a week will give you a very good return in fitness.

NatePearson

Postby NatePearson » Fri Aug 03, 2012 21:09 pm

dw300 wrote:Can you not 'follow' people on TR?

Nate from TrainerRoad here. You can't follow people on TrainerRoad, but that sounds really cool! :) We should do that :).

Would you want notices of their rides sent to you? Or more like a "buddy" list where you can see a ride feed of all of the people you follow? I'm thinking the latter.

NatePearson

Postby NatePearson » Fri Aug 03, 2012 21:11 pm

GiantMike wrote:Is TR a download or do you have to be online to use it?

Hey Mike, to be more specific you just have to have the software connect to the internet once a month to validate license. Besides that, you can do all of your workouts without an internet connection.

whojanicanackerov

Postby whojanicanackerov » Fri Aug 03, 2012 22:42 pm

NatePearson wrote:

Nate from TrainerRoad here. You can't follow people on TrainerRoad, but that sounds really cool! :) We should do that :).

Would you want notices of their rides sent to you? Or more like a "buddy" list where you can see a ride feed of all of the people you follow? I'm thinking the latter.

Nate that sounds like a plan to me.A buddy list and notification of rides would be fantastic!!
You also need to work on the rides page because I cannot access page 2 or beyond.
Viewing other members rides is very motivational The bug needs sorting ASAP thanks.

mikey2341

Postby mikey2341 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 23:10 pm

I can't wait to have a go on this as soon as I get a turbo, would the cycleops jel fluid pro be a good place to start?

dw300

Postby dw300 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 23:14 pm

NatePearson wrote:

Nate .. I like the buddy list and then a ride feed. As with most things on the 'net or with apps, the less clicks people have to do, the better. Either have a feed as the default screen after log in, or perhaps have a 'Social' tab in the users page.

As a huge stats geek, I'd love to see comparative times and efforts pulled out of a database of people matching your age, physical attributes and equipment.

I know you're all about training, but being able to upload ride data on the fly somehow, and have live races where you challenge your buddies could turn this into a PS3 beater! ;)
Bike Radar Strava Club

whojanicanackerov

Postby whojanicanackerov » Sat Aug 04, 2012 06:20 am

mikey2341 wrote:I can't wait to have a go on this as soon as I get a turbo, would the cycleops jel fluid pro be a good place to start?

YES :)

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sat Aug 04, 2012 07:23 am

NatePearson wrote:

It's great to see a software developer such a keen interest in their product!
Welcome indeed!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Aug 06, 2012 15:14 pm

As posted earlier I found with the help of Ray of dcrainmaker blog, a slightly cheaper way to go ANT+

Garmin GSC10 £43

Garmin ANT+ USB Stick £31

Or

Suunto Movestick USB ANT+ £29.99

Wahoo Speed/Cadence £31.62

^Purchasing these when my pay clears :D and my TR username is Trihardni

Garmin ANT+ HRM £28.54 (Optional)

whojanicanackerov

Postby whojanicanackerov » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:03 am

THMNET your user name isnt showing anything in the rides Page?
DW300 it`s been 5 days since your last ride on TR come on lad no pain no gain hehe.

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:17 am

If he's like me, Sunday's ride needed 48 hours recovery!
Tip of the week,
if you use Sufferfest and download HellhathnoFury and use it, make sure you have plenty in the tank.
I have used Sufferfests for over a year and this is probably the hardest I have trained to.
it is essentially 2 x FTP tests on the bounce and then some more.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:49 am

Havent used it yet,waiting on the hardware

dw300

Postby dw300 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 am

whojanicanackerov wrote:THMNET your user name isnt showing anything in the rides Page?
DW300 it`s been 5 days since your last ride on TR come on lad no pain no gain hehe.

Lol .. I did get out on the road on Saturday and Sunday. I did a recovery session last night to see what that felt like. My legs hurt today and I'm not sure whether it's cumulative fatigue or DOMS from Sunday.

Do you guys count your TSS? I'm on 460 since Thursday (5 days). I'm trying to work out how many I can do in a week and recover ok. Then work in 4 week blocks at gradually increasing percentages (up to 100 or maybe 105). I'm thinking that might work slightly better than just hours or miles.
Bike Radar Strava Club

whojanicanackerov

Postby whojanicanackerov » Tue Aug 07, 2012 13:41 pm

Dw I have a Powertap and on Saturdays club run the TSS 369
Yesterday I trained on TR in the afternoon
Then at 5 30 went for a 80k bike ride up in them their hills!!
Yes my legs were sore before the evening ride but you'll be surprised what the body can withstand.
I read a post a while ago by sbezza on this forum about training with tired legs and how you can over come it and reap the rewards.
So when you think you done enough do about more Lol.
Even Graham Obree said something like that on the cycling show the other week.
Maybe you could find a tempo or sweets pot ride on TR for when you don't feel as strong??
Pain is tempory glory lasts for ever!!!!!
And who ever come up with that saying lied!!
It never stops !!!!

dw300

Postby dw300 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 16:24 pm

whojanicanackerov wrote:Dw I have a Powertap and on Saturdays club run the TSS 369
Yesterday I trained on TR in the afternoon
Then at 5 30 went for a 80k bike ride up in them their hills!!
Yes my legs were sore before the evening ride but you'll be surprised what the body can withstand.
I read a post a while ago by sbezza on this forum about training with tired legs and how you can over come it and reap the rewards.
So when you think you done enough do about more Lol.
Even Graham Obree said something like that on the cycling show the other week.
Maybe you could find a tempo or sweets pot ride on TR for when you don't feel as strong??
Pain is tempory glory lasts for ever!!!!!
And who ever come up with that saying lied!!
It never stops !!!!

Excellent, this is exactly what I want to be hearing. I think the great thing about Strava and TR and the like is that you see exactly how little effort you are putting in compared to some people!

I know TSS capacity is going to vary slightly from person to person depending how long they've been riding, physical factors, age etc. But I'm slightly unclear as to why the TSS scores per week for the training plans seem pretty low. I know that plenty of people will get into the 200, 300 or 400s for one ride regularly, so I'd assume the training plans would have had higher TSS. I guess it's because most sessions are in the 1-2 hour range and not a 6+ hour weekend ramble?

Do you have any suggestions for training with a more powerful rider? My FTP is 172 .. i think that's reasonably accurate, but the guy I ride with mostly is around 230, he weighs about 30lbs more. I feel like I'm on the rivet just keeping up with him riding his sweetspot. I usually try and drag him into the hills as much as possible, even though his power to weight is still better, at least I can see him in the distance for longer!
Bike Radar Strava Club

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”