The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
MarkP80

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby MarkP80 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 am

JGSI wrote:Not a bug as such or Reid would have said... I skewed the figures because I exceeded the old target by quite a bit.
Putting a new figure in and lowering intensity by using % button on the workout window should give a correct figure... I will keep an eye on my next workouts - I am not doing that much over threshold work anyways simply because I havent the enrgy at the moment to burn.

Ah, I'm with you now. You're riding at your old FTP, so what should feel like a hard ride doesn't.
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:52 am

Its a good indicator of a need to retest when those seemingly high IF and TSS happen for no good reason, but it was good to get Reid to confirm it anyways.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Thu Dec 06, 2012 13:25 pm

New Sufferfest The Wretched (Freaking hard as evidenced last week!) is on Trainer Road now...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:35 pm

NapoleonD wrote:New Sufferfest The Wretched (Freaking hard as evidenced last week!) is on Trainer Road now...

Buying it and leaving on the bookshelf for 2 months, you lunatic. :wink:

Garryboy

Postby Garryboy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 16:59 pm

Did hell hath no fury today at 90%, still bleedin torture. Fan stopped working midway through first interval and got cramp in left foot midway through second. ... Still good fun!

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/120083

Not been outside since start of November, but fully expecting to blast some pb's when I do :-)

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 am

Garryboy wrote:Not been outside since start of November, but fully expecting to blast some pb's when I do :-)

- Same here, I only have access to my bike Monday to Friday, when it's pitch black outside, so I think last time I was out was probably early October. So yes, I'd like to think I'd improved in the meantime!

I did Fight Club last night. This was my third Sufferfest ride, second attempt at Fight Club, and first attempt at 100%.
Crikey, I found it tough! To be honest, by the final interval I was really struggling, and couldn't make the short sprints. By the end I was barely hanging on. Anyway, I'll take it as "job done"!

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/120332

So, I completed Base I a couple of weeks ago, then got hit with a nasty cold plus a few days away, so I've spent a couple of unstructured weeks with the Sufferfest. Next week I'll be starting Base II

Cheers,
MarkP

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 16:08 pm

With all this talk of Sufferfest, I thought I'd have a go, but as it was the end of the week thought 95% would be a safer option... well after 20 mins, I turned it down to 90% but it was still a struggle.

A Very Dark Place
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/120964

I also think I've lost a bit of fitness since the summer and need to retest to get a lower FTP figure... but that feels like admitting defeat! Will struggle on for a few more weeks with the hope TR will get a little easier.
Simon

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 19:02 pm

springtide9 wrote:With all this talk of Sufferfest, I thought I'd have a go, but as it was the end of the week thought 95% would be a safer option... well after 20 mins, I turned it down to 90% but it was still a struggle.

We share your pain!
:D

mattshrops

Postby mattshrops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 21:12 pm

This week real life poked its dirty little nose in.I knew Tuesday would not be available so..

Mon http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/117747-FAIL :evil: Still too tired from sunday.

Wed http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/119490

Thurs http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/120262

Fri http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/121150

Not been watching vids this week , music instead. The motivational power of which was highlighted when i had a brief power surge when this song came on the ipod http://youtu.be/-nlX7P0nhaI :D
Death or Glory- Just another Story

Simmotino

Postby Simmotino » Sat Dec 08, 2012 09:45 am

It was Antelope for me this morning. More sweet spot work but without the gradual power shifts (which I don't particularly enjoy) so a much nicer workout IMO.

It's still not scientific, but my legs are definitely feeling stronger than they have for a very long time. I'm not sure if that's more to do with regular rides of similar lengths or whether it's because those rides are structured in a particular way. Either way, it's the best £6 a month I've ever spent! :mrgreen:

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Was almost tempted for a road ride today, but 1 serious disadvantage of running a single bike is that , too much of a faff swapping things over for the road and not an indoor trainer.. so until I summon up resources to get another bike for next year/season, I am taking full advantage of my monthly £6 - feeling guilty about missing a turbo ride on Tuesday now.. but as there is http://sport.be.msn.com/cyclocrossclass ... werpen/nl/ this afternoon,an excuse for a lazy' 90 minutes.

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 17:00 pm

There's nothing like having a hangover to make you feel very guilty about drinking.

Picking a sweetspot ride to make you feel better, but deciding to see what power you can hold after following the plot for the first 15 mins.

Not sure about anyone else, but trying to hold steady power for such a duration doesn't half make the ride uncomfortable, even on the Rock and Roll.

Pyramidal
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/121744

Anyway, new PB for 60 mins even if it's still way short of my FTP (or probably overrated FTP) :D but obviously pleased after guzzling the red wine last night! lol
Simon

robklancs

Postby robklancs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 18:52 pm

Bit off topic but, I have been offered a cheap rear wheel which is a bit damaged having lost 2 spokes, wondering if anyone has ever used a damaged wheel on the turbo and if it will be safe and hold up, will take a tube and tyre okay but don't think it can be fixed as nipple is torn away leaving a larger hole at the rim.

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sat Dec 08, 2012 19:18 pm

robklancs wrote:Bit off topic but, I have been offered a cheap rear wheel which is a bit damaged having lost 2 spokes, wondering if anyone has ever used a damaged wheel on the turbo and if it will be safe and hold up, will take a tube and tyre okay but don't think it can be fixed as nipple is torn away leaving a larger hole at the rim.

The wheel is supported via the hub so that shouldnt be a prob... the only thing I'd think against is if the wheel is less than completely round due to the missing spokes

robklancs

Postby robklancs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 19:47 pm

Cheers jgsi, just sick of changing tyre not sure if its perfectly round though.

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 19:58 pm

robklancs wrote:Cheers jgsi, just sick of changing tyre not sure if its perfectly round though.

I'm sure it will be fine.... give it a go as you'll soon find out if the wheel is out of shape. As JGSI stated, all of the forces are on the hub.

It would drive me bonkers if I had to swap a tyre every time I wanted to either ride on the road or on the turbo. Much easier/quicker if you only have a wheel to switch.
Simon

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Sun Dec 09, 2012 13:25 pm

NapoleonD wrote:New Sufferfest The Wretched (Freaking hard as evidenced last week!) is on Trainer Road now...

It just goes to show how deceptive a work-out profile can be. This looks quite easy. It's 35 mins of actual workout of which only about 15 minutes is above FTP. I guess the misery is in the details and a lot of 'easy looking' workouts are killers.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

springtide9

Postby springtide9 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 18:47 pm

GiantMike wrote:

It just goes to show how deceptive a work-out profile can be. This looks quite easy. It's 35 mins of actual workout of which only about 15 minutes is above FTP. I guess the misery is in the details and a lot of 'easy looking' workouts are killers.

It's the IF that gives you a good idea of how hard the ride is. Anything above 0.9 for roughly an hour is going to be pretty tough.
Simon

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sun Dec 09, 2012 19:08 pm

springtide9 wrote:
GiantMike wrote:

It's the IF that gives you a good idea of how hard the ride is. Anything above 0.9 for roughly an hour is going to be pretty tough.

considering the IF 0.98 value and the fact that it is only 49 minutes long, a fail doing this should not provoke anything other than sympathy... it is madness, as a sub hour 25 should be referred with an IF value of 1.00

MarkP80

Postby MarkP80 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:54 pm

So, time for another 8 min test for me -

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/123502

Pretty pleased with the result, FTP up to 197.
A few weeks ago i set myself some targets for the end of the year, and in all likelihood this is the last test I'll do in that period.
FTP target 200 - achieved 197, so pretty pleased.
W/kg target 2.00 - achieved 2.06, hurrah!
Weight target I think 14 1/2 stone, achieved 15 st 1lb. Not quite there, but that'll still go down and if lost 9lb.

All in all I'm delighted with the way it's gone. TrainerRoad's working for me!

Cheers,
MarkP

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”