New to Turbos - building strength+endurance+headwinds!

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
SBezza

Re: New to Turbos - building strength+endurance+headwinds!

Postby SBezza » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:04 am

You don't really need to build stamina if you are happy doing 100 mile rides, but you do need to get used to riding into a headwind and not shelter behind bigger guys. It is likely the bigger guys are more powerful as well, but being heavy will slow them down on hills. It might be you hammer up the hills and are knackered for the flatter headwind sections, where they have gone up the hill more moderately and aren't that knackered on the flatter headwind sections. Also some people no matter what their weight might not climb hills fast, I know I don't go up them that fast, but don't get bothered with headwinds (and I am lighter than you).

As okgo has said if you can do say 250 watts going up a hill for an extended period, there is nothing stopping you doing that into a headwind, apart from the mental aspect. Doing a sufferfest is a good workout, but it is unlikely to be the best for building sustainable power for longer durations, the 2 x 20 mins will help here

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 am

Cheers okgo. Will do. I'm not working at the moment so will have some time on my hands to train (come Thursday) and might start doing the commute ride with a lap or two of RP in the mornings and evenings.

Re: headwinds - I ride with tetm a lot, and while he is damn strong on the flat (as you may know if you've seen him on the commute), I simply CANNOT hold that pace riding side by side. However, going uphill, I can usually shake him off fairly easily even up a shallow incline (Sawyer's, for example).

I guess I'd like to have a higher top speed when not in a slipstream and be able to hold it for longer. I can sprint up to low 30s, but tend not to be able to hold it for long.
My position on the bike is ok - I think I am quite aero (perhaps my stem is a bit long) but the geo of the bike is certainly not what I would call 'sportive'.

I'll drop Rob a message later in the week and get some club/chaingang work sorted.

Appreciate the advice

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks SBezza. I certainly don't 'hammer' up the hills, I'm just fairly quick. Admittedly if I hammer the final push to the top it takes a while to recover, so perhaps a diet of Sufferfest+2x20 will start to cure that.

Re: the 20x2 (I am a bit new to training), is there an easy way to break that down?
Say 20mins at 9/10 effort 100rpm - 5mins 5/10 90rpm, 20 9/10 100rpm, 5m 5/10 90 etc?

okgo

Postby okgo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 am

Everything you have mentioned will improve when you improve your threshold power, which will happen if you find the right level of people to ride with I think, it did with me, so no reason why it shouldn't with anyone else (obviously some will plateau faster than others, but still).

I never really do it, but yes, two hard laps of the park with a 5 mins or so between will mimic a 2x20 and be more interesting, and also you'll be able to track progress easier with times for laps (hard to track progress on a turbo without power, suppose you could do it on speed).

From what I've read of 2x20 min type workouts, the best 'value' is to go at them at just below your top end, this way you get most of the benefits of training at your absolute limit, but can do it more often as you recover quicker. I always just pedal easy for the 5 min rest, not sure that makes much difference.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 am

Give it a go. It might take a bit of trial and error to gauge your effort levels.

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:06 am

okgo wrote:I never really do it, but yes, two hard laps of the park with a 5 mins or so between will mimic a 2x20

Good shout.
Cheers all.

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 am

What with the wind, the hills and the traffic, I find it very hard to do and evenly paced lap of the park. With a short session like 2x20mins it's important to maximise your time at the right intensity, and that's easier to achieve on the turbo IMO. There's plenty you can do in the park, but in my experience ~20 min intervals are the hardest thing to get right there.

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:53 am

True true, but its not THAT cold yet, and it if it isn't raining its a nice change!

okgo

Postby okgo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Tom Dean wrote:What with the wind, the hills and the traffic, I find it very hard to do and evenly paced lap of the park. With a short session like 2x20mins it's important to maximise your time at the right intensity, and that's easier to achieve on the turbo IMO. There's plenty you can do in the park, but in my experience ~20 min intervals are the hardest thing to get right there.

Yes, but if you go early enough in the morning they're ok, i.e. before work.

I also found it tough, I found this was not a bad way to do it to keep it steady with minimal interference - http://app.strava.com/activities/6860221
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”