Do you need recovery drinks?

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!

Re: Do you need recovery drinks?

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 am

Slack wrote:This subject has been discussed many times before on this forum. The original post is simply designed so he can get on his orange box, as he feels he has another point to prove and squabble about.

How odd that people can post endlessly about sports drinks, but when someone questions their use and the claims made by those selling them, people get so upset.

The fact is the manufacturers can not back up their claims. I refer you once again to Dr Carl Heneghan BM, BCH, MA (Hons), MRCGP, DPhil and his papers published in the British Medical Journal.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/4/e001702.full

And yes his work is relevant to endurance athletes.
Trev The Rev

Postby Sprool » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Key messages
The current evidence is not of sufficient quality to inform the public about the benefits and harms of sports products.

There is a need to improve the quality and reporting of research, a move towards using systematic review evidence to inform decisions.

Strength and limitations of this study
We attempted to identify a representative sample of products, but it is possible the products we analysed are at the worst end of the spectrum.

We did not give the manufacturers much time to respond to requests for information, given more time a number may have provided more references.

Not really much of a strong conclusion to decide that all sports drinks are a waste of money. I'd conclude that better studies need to take place before any definitive statements can be made.
My gut feeling, however, is that most of the pseudo-science benefit claims are marketing-driven and a bottle of milk is better for you. I however prefer to drink something sweeter packed with artificial colouring, not cos I think it replenishes my fading isotopes, but because I like the taste.
Sprool

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:34 pm

The sad thing is so many people do prefer the taste of these drinks.
Trev The Rev

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:The sad thing is so many people do prefer the taste of these drinks.

Why is making a personal choice or having a preference sad? You make choices too ( and hell,haven't you moaned about them), is that sad too?
T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:The sad thing is so many people do prefer the taste of these drinks.

Why is making a personal choice or having a preference sad? You make choices too ( and hell,haven't you moaned about them), is that sad too?

Well I would moan and be very sad if people who like the taste of sports drinks started eating in the sort of restaurants I do.
Trev The Rev

Postby Tom Dean » Fri Nov 16, 2012 13:11 pm

haha let's hear what sort of restaurants you eat in and we can find out. (I like lemon & lime SIS Go)
Tom Dean

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 14:53 pm

Tom Dean wrote:haha let's hear what sort of restaurants you eat in and we can find out. (I like lemon & lime SIS Go)

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Restaurants
Trev The Rev

Postby mattshrops » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:05 pm

Not sure what to make of you Trev. Maybe thats what you are after - a little bit of attention? Are you lonely?

We now all understand you dont like anything invented after 1960.
Any other sh@t to add?

P.S.- the discussion does have some validity but seeing as its you......
Death or Glory- Just another Story
mattshrops

Postby Tom Dean » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:07 pm

:lol: Michelin! no marketing hype involved there :roll:
Tom Dean

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:30 pm

Bozman wrote:Google milk as a recovery drink.

i didnt know google had brached out to dairy products now :)
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
Chris Bass

Previous

Return to Training, Fitness and Health