Stepping up to the next level.

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
cyco2

Re: Stepping up to the next level.

Postby cyco2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:44 am

Ric/RSTSport wrote:this, simply, is complete rubbish [15 x (MHR/RHR)]. none of these factors can be used to calculate VO2max. MHR is either independent of fitness or tends to decrease with increasing fitness. RHR has nothing to do with VO2max. it's out by over 20% for me. in short it can't be used to calculate VO2max with anymore accuracy than guessing a number between 40 and 90.ric

I do appreciate what you are saying that the calculated method is not the same as a proper test. Which I have said twice now. But using a mathematical calculation with some sort of exercise to mimic the VO2 test is a way that is suggested by many contributors on the web. Are they all wrong to suggest this?
Also, the resting HR does go down with fitness. I would imagine somebody took a load of data about VO2 test and come up with an equation that nearly fitted the test results. So, what's wrong with that. It's only an estimate.
I personally have found race results to be my meter.
Last edited by cyco2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.

Ric/RSTSport

Postby Ric/RSTSport » Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:50 am

yes. there are lots of calculators for 'things' on the internet. people like them, but it doesn't make them correct.

none of these variables have anything much to do with VO2max. you may as well take a guess based on e.g. your 10 mile TT time. For e.g. MHR tends to decrease as you increase your fitness, so that'd send things the wrong way.

ric
Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
Check out our new website www.rstsport.com

cyco2

Postby cyco2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 am

Are you saying that RHR stays the same for all levels of fitness.?
...................................................................................................

Ric/RSTSport

Postby Ric/RSTSport » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 am

no, i didn't mention RHR. it can decrease. as can Max. as i said the calculation over estimates my actual (tested) VO2max and changes in MHR & RHR aren't sensitive enough to alter the calculated VO2max compared to my actual VO2max (as and when it changed with changing fitness).

cyco2

Postby cyco2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am

Since these calculated methods are quite likely based on an average correlation of VO2 data then very few athletes would be correct but if say in case of the 15 x ( MHR/RHR) by altering the constant '15' you could make it fit your own findings.

Ric/RSTSport

Postby Ric/RSTSport » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 pm

if i was going to come up with some such similar rubbish, there'd be far better ways to estimate VO2max. Like off actual performance. Please, this 'estimate' is utter tosh. you literally may as well guess a number between 40 and 90.

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 19:38 pm

Here's one for you Ric - I had a proper VO2Max test done with a face mask and everything - result was 80.3 @ 69kg, which should mean I'm f**king awesome. But I'm not, I'm useless - FTP 340w at best.

That said, using cyco2's formula with a constant of, oh I don't know, 16.94774 I get an estimated VO2Max of - you guessed it - 80.3. That's SCIENCE.

cyco2

Postby cyco2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 20:37 pm

F.E. that is awesome :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”