Yoga or similar for racing?

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Froomes Edgar

Re: Yoga or similar for racing?

Postby Froomes Edgar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 19:05 pm

I love this thread. Its everything thats wrong with BikeRadar. The OP wasn't asking for advice, he was asking for a few people to agree with him. Luckily, BR has a wide selection of ill-informed people, so it doesn't take long.

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Tue Feb 12, 2013 19:52 pm

Imposter wrote:
TakeTurns wrote: Example of what good flexibility and core strength can achieve:

I don't understand - that's just a pic of a bloke riding a bike. I can ride in that position already, without doing yoga, pilates or even tai chi...

I can't handle 2 bottles though

I am a well knackered vet who has gone thru life without one iota of yoga. :wink:
I recommmend pedaling harder.. as I should have done on that day.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 20:14 pm

Froomes Edgar wrote:I love this thread. Its everything thats wrong with BikeRadar. The OP wasn't asking for advice, he was asking for a few people to agree with him. Luckily, BR has a wide selection of ill-informed people, so it doesn't take long.

Cheers for the input but as the OP I think I can say that I was after advice hence posting a question in the training forum "Was wondering if any racers out there use yoga, pilates, circuit training at home in a bid to help with their racing & if so what their experiences have been."

If you don't like the question you don't have to answer & if you don't like BR then you are free to leave at any time :lol:
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Wed Feb 13, 2013 05:49 am

I do like the question, as I clearly stated. I love watching people fall for utter bolleaux time and time again.

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 07:47 am

I'd post this in 'Amateur Race', loads will agree in there.
I Like Black Bikes

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 am

ShutUpLegs wrote:I'd post this in 'Amateur Race', loads will agree in there.

Its a fair comment I did consider putting this in amateur race section. However I meant it as a genuine training question and figured I would post it the training section as it seemed more relevant to the question.

I'm sorry if I have offended or upset people by posting this question as I thought it was genuine training question & I have no idea it was going to polarise opinion to such a degree.

I'm sorry if people feel offended that its in the wrong section, if a Moderator is reviewing the I will be happy for this to be moved it you feel its better suited to another section.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Wed Feb 13, 2013 20:02 pm

Don't worry, no-one is offended. If anyone got offended by someone posting a thread in the wrong forum (not that this is BTW) then, according to my calculations, they'd last 0.000000000000000083 seconds on the internet.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 20:09 pm

Froomes Edgar wrote:Don't worry, no-one is offended. If anyone got offended by someone posting a thread in the wrong forum (not that this is BTW) then, according to my calculations, they'd last 0.000000000000000083 seconds on the internet.

Cheers mate just spat my coffee over the screen :lol:

Still getting used to the Amateur Race & Training sections but had a good look today and think I get the feel of it now!

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 20:50 pm

Danlikesbikes wrote:Imopster & Herbsman - cheers for the input too without which there would be no balance.

I was only commenting on the photo, in which the rider looks to be in a relatively upright position compared to what I'm used to seeing.

I have done yoga myself for a while but only because I felt I needed to, to try and relieve the back pain I have suffered since long before I started cycling. I can't say whether it's helped or not as there are too many variables.

Ideally I would do yoga three or four times a week. Not just for the supposed physical benefits but just to relax. I just can't seem to find a spare half an hour a day to properly relax, step away from everything and get it done. Besides, I don't actually enjoy doing it so unless my back is hurting (which, most of the time, it's not) it's very hard to find the motivation to do what seems like a chore...

If you want to give it a go then do it. Check out Esther Ekhart's Yogatic videos on Youtube. I think there are three Yoga For Beginners videos that you could start with.

Courage Monsieur

Postby Courage Monsieur » Fri Feb 15, 2013 16:02 pm

I've done quite a lot of yoga and have tried a bit of pilates (ten classes or so). I don't race the bike.

In short, yoga might help with flexibility and a stronger core, but assuming you've no real probs in these departments it won't have a big impact on your cycling and, I reckon, you could get more out of doing similar abs exercises in the gym or at home. So - don't bother.

If you're after the flexibility then just stretch off more. You could go to a few yoga classes, get a few basic moves ('downward dog' etc) and just do them at home. Save yourself some cash and time. Yoga ain't cheap but at least sometimes you get to gawp at some hot birds...

Pilates on the other hand drops the spiritual and mindfulness stuff and is largely about abs and core strength. Some interesting moves but, again, just do some plank and crunches at home.

I did quite a bit of yoga and pilates recently and it seemed to help with my cycling and stability on the bike. But then again, the time might've been better spent training on the bike.

Hope that helps.

tomstickland

Postby tomstickland » Thu Jun 13, 2013 23:37 pm

I've been doing yoga and pilates for about a year. It's made a massive difference for me. Core strength has really improved. The back ache issues have gone. I've still got loads to do on hip flexibility - a common problem if you ride a lot and don't stretch.

I'm really deep into yoga now; do some every day. It's brought about significant lifestyle changes - I don't drink any more, rarely eat meat, feel really calm and energised. Great for focus and general happiness. It's made riding feel a lot easier, though my lap times aren't better than a friend who is still drinking and stuffing his face with meat.

Ric/RSTSport

Postby Ric/RSTSport » Fri Jun 14, 2013 08:58 am

It's unlikely that for anyone racing that things such as yoga or core training would help increase performance. There's no evidence to suggest that it would, and evidence to show that things such as stretching leads to more injuries than if you exercised without prior stretching.

furthermore, while it is possible that 'core' work may make you feel more comfortable on a bike (e.g. less back ache) this is generally symptomatic of either a poor bike set up / position or just a general lack of training. In other words you either need to be training more (on the bike) or get your bike set up correctly.

Ric
Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
Check out our new website www.rstsport.com

tomstickland

Postby tomstickland » Tue Jun 18, 2013 23:14 pm

I do yoga because it makes me feel really good. I think I've been lucky in bumping into a great instructor on my first attempt. It's certainly not a chore. I can access the physical sensations and the high within minutes of getting started.

Buckles

Postby Buckles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 06:25 am

I get a similar feeling from LSD

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Wed Jun 19, 2013 08:36 am

Tom, I agree I reckon those idiots who chase your break down in a race and drag the bunch with them are high as kites on yoga as well!

racingcondor

Postby racingcondor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 15:47 pm

Stretching certainly helps for me. I've just started doing quite a bit of track and my thighs and calves have tightened up dramatically in the last few weeks which since I have a leg length discrepancy will probably result in injury problems if I don't stretch (most road riding doesn't cause me to tighten up anything like as quickly so I usually get away without).

Not tried yoga or pilates but since I get bored easily and don't stretch properly as a result I probably should...

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”