Elite Qubo - Power 50% out - HELP

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
colinsmith123

Re: Elite Qubo - Power 50% out - HELP

Postby colinsmith123 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 19:43 pm

I've done two Powertap tests on the Elite Qubo Hydromag, which I understand is the same as the Digital. The Elite published curves bear no relation to the measured values and are out by +100%. This is based on the Elite published curves being inputed in to Trainerroad.

If someone would like to explain how to display an Excel graph / table using BB codes I can post up.
Live to ski
Ski to live

Critzz

Postby Critzz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 23:15 pm

Hi All. I am new to this forum. Kiwi in NZ.

After extensive research etc I received my Elite Qubo Digital Wireless 3 weeks ago and it was faulty out of the box (a bit was broken) so I sent it back. Got the replacement 3 days ago and have run into two problems.

1. The head unit when set up read 199kph and 999 watts and the timer and distance was going before I had started pedalling. When I did pedal the display did not change. This was after doing everything by the book and even changing the battery twice.

2. If (and it only happened twice) the head unit was working the power was as you have all described. I was pedalling at 150watts and it felt like 250watts used to on my Tacx flow.

In total I have used it for about 10 minutes and am rather annoyed.

I have emailed Elite and also Wiggle who I received the trainer from. Elite haven't replied and Wiggle are doing their best from their end.

Has anyone had any further updates?

Chris

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 08:46 am

Critzz wrote:Has anyone had any further updates?

Chris

I'd stick in back in its box and send it back to Wiggle, with a print out of this thread. Based on this thread alone, it sounds rubbish and not fit-for-purpose. Unfortunately for Wiggle, they are responsible for whatever they sell. Fortunately for you, Wiggle are a good shop.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

Squirrelpie

Postby Squirrelpie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 17:43 pm

GiantMike wrote:

Chris

I'd stick in back in its box and send it back to Wiggle, with a print out of this thread. Based on this thread alone, it sounds rubbish and not fit-for-purpose. Unfortunately for Wiggle, they are responsible for whatever they sell. Fortunately for you, Wiggle are a good shop.

Your second constructive post on this thread.

Do you sell a competing trainer?

I have the Elite Qubo Wireless too, when I put the battery in the head unit filled the screen with 8s and 9s. I took out the battery and put it back in again, all was fine (I couldn't wait to set it up yet it had just been delivered on a cold day). The resistance does seem higher than I expected but no one has as yet run a power meter on one to show if they are at all accurate or as OP suggested 50% out.

I suspect it is our feeble legs in March verses an ego from October.

Critzz

Postby Critzz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 18:06 pm

Unfortunately as I am based I New Zealand we are half way through the season. So no I am not basing this on weak legs. In the past I warmed up at 160 watts with hr sitting at 100.at 150 watts of the elite my heart rate is up at 150. Definitely not weak legs.

Squirrelpie

Postby Squirrelpie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 18:30 pm

I think it would be interesting to see a power meter test against it. End of the day its not the end of the world if its power calculation is wrong. Its hardly going to compare to a SRM anyway its just a mid priced turbo.
As a turbo that has built in programs that can be made easier or harder then it works really well.

But if you need accurate dater for racing then it may not be the best choice.
If it displaying far less power than its delivering as people have suggested here then I am going to ride like a beast this year.

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 18:31 pm

Squirrelpie wrote:
GiantMike wrote:

Chris

Your second constructive post on this thread.

Do you sell a competing trainer?

It's my third actually. You missed the one where I offer the use of my powertap to see what the actual issue was.

No, not selling any competition.

Just pointing out (based on the customer's concerns and problems listed here), that if a product doesn't appear to work properly and the company doesn't know what the problem is, maybe people should send them back as not fit for purpose.

Maybe write a random number on a piece of paper and stick on your handlebars as a pseudo-trainer. That would be equally accurate. In fact, it's probably MORE accurate because it will be right a couple of times per session.

Keep up the good work, and the offer still stands if anybody is interested (the powertap not the number on a piece of paper).
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

Squirrelpie

Postby Squirrelpie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 18:43 pm

It's my third actually. You missed the one where I offer the use of my powertap to see what the actual issue was.

My bad.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 21:31 pm

How much do these things cost?

ck99

Postby ck99 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 22:01 pm

I am returning my 2nd unit. Still not working. One more go or I will swap to a TACX.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 13:03 pm

I've seen one of these for £400.

For less than double the price you can get an actual power meter, that you can use on the turbo indoors AND on your bike outdoors.

I know an extra £400 is a lot of money if you're on a tight budget, but still. Food for thought.

hibbsjill

Re: Elite Qubo - - HELP Courses

Postby hibbsjill » Sun Mar 17, 2013 14:26 pm

On my i phone when I put in a course it constantly says that the dongle is not fitted and cannot reach the server .Is this the fault of the Qubo/Dongle/or the server .The app was downloaded from Apple.
Thanks

karldh

Postby karldh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 20:00 pm

Regarding the last, have found best way is to open app first then plug in dongle. Works fine then and pairs up

miele520

Postby miele520 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 20:46 pm

Hey everyone. I just bought the Elite Qubo Digital today (paid 389 euros), did the installation and have similar issues.

Pedaling at the lowest resistance level is not easy, doing more than 10kmh requires quite some effort. Doing 25kmh outside on the road is easier.

I bought mine in Belgium so there seems to be a general problem with these models. I'll be taking mine back to the store first thing tomorrow.

Grtz.

karldh

Postby karldh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 09:03 am

Have just been reading the manual for the turbo and there is a section on page 26 bottom right that talks about a parameter relevant to the resistance unit. It states this parameter only to be modified on express request of Elite after sales service, it is currently set to 0270.
If this parameter is a calibration factor for the resistance then do you think it is possible by changing this value to get the unit to more accurately reflect power readings Just an idea, it may be that it is not related to calibration of power readings. Elite may be able to assist with this, who knows we may all be able to alter our machines quite easily to reflect more accurate power outputs and make it easier to pedal in one easy move..
I may also be barking up the wrong tree, ck99 you may be able to get Marco's advice on this as you have been communicating with him on our behalf's

colinsmith123

Postby colinsmith123 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:53 am

There are two parts to the Qubo Digital, the turbo and the display. If the turbo output curves are incorrect (which I have tested and found to be out by 100% on the Hydromag) then consequently what is displayed will be incorrect.
Live to ski

Ski to live

ck99

Postby ck99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 13:46 pm

I spoke to Marco at Elite, who wants to test my specific kit (ex frame). I returned it to Wiggle, who are sending it back to Elite under warranty. Lets hope they can fix it quickly as there seems to be an issue affecting some but not all users. Mean time, I have set up my rower as I am Turbo less till it comes back (which could be weeks). I assume a software fix would be ideal and/or the ability for the user to make an adjustment themselves.

mikkelandersen

Postby mikkelandersen » Mon Mar 25, 2013 20:03 pm

I have the same problem with a unit that I bought in late January - the power just seems way off from what I would expect (my brother has a Taxc I have compared with). I have also been in contact with Elite but so far no luck with the things they have suggested.

So I will be following this thread closely to see if Elite comes up with a solution for anyone that has the same problem.

Regarding the issue one guy reported about the control unit showing 999 or similar. I had the same problems which went away when removed the battery from my Garmin speed/cadence sensor. So there seems to be an easy fix for that.

ck99

Postby ck99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 21:06 pm

I heard from Marco at Elite earlier today. He advises...
We have contacted directly other customers that sent e-mails to Elite and found that their comments, similar to yours, were generated by misuses of trainer or uncorrect training sessions. Indoor cycling based on power could be different from previous thinkings about speed and power. Anyway we'll check carefully your trainer when Wiggle will send to Elite.

Well, he could be right or there again....My money is on the latter, but I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Critzz

Postby Critzz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:54 am

Hi there. Have finally managed to get my dud trainer to wiggle. They have not heard from Elite neither have I for 2 weeks now. Pretty shabby.

With regards to removing the battery from the cadence sensor - isn't this just a process that shouldn't be required for this type of trainer. Surely they would have thought about this.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”