Benefit of turbo training vs 'proper' riding?

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Lightning

Re: Benefit of turbo training vs 'proper' riding?

Postby Lightning » Thu Mar 07, 2013 14:16 pm

Markwb79 wrote:Turbo training is definitely more focused. But which is better?

2 hour Z2 road ride including 2*20min interval with the risk of the intervals not being consitant because of going down hill, possible traffic lights etc

or

2*20min interval on the turbo

2 hour Z2 turbo ride including 2*20 min :wink:

Markwb79

Postby Markwb79 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 15:57 pm

Lightning wrote:
Markwb79 wrote:Turbo training is definitely more focused. But which is better?

2 hour Z2 road ride including 2*20min interval with the risk of the intervals not being consitant because of going down hill, possible traffic lights etc

or

2*20min interval on the turbo

2 hour Z2 turbo ride including 2*20 min :wink:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

handful

Postby handful » Thu Mar 07, 2013 23:05 pm

Toks wrote:!
Has your trainer got a good road feel? Did you include 'threshold' and anaerobic (30sec-2mins) bursts? We're you really putting the work in or just turning your legs? (indoors, without a fan to cool you down it can feel like you're really working hard and actually you're just plodding along) If the answer is "yes" to these questions then be patient, assuming you weren't massively under trained prior to your turboeing stint you'll soon get back up to speed.[/quote]

Yes, although not an expensive trainer I've been pretty impressed with the feel and particularly the consistency on TR. I recently got a fan because I was overheating but this didn't change my results dramatically, just made them more comfortable!

I also always come off feeling like I've worked out, or at least on the Sufferfests I do. Some of the Base plans have been less than knackering but I get the impression that's how they should be some of the time? I have found my average cadence has improved by around 5 which is encouraging. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to try and get out for as long a ride as possible on the weekends and do a couple of turbo sessions in the week. Also try and do some hill repeats, I'm fortunate to live right next to a hill so will try and do a few loops as often as possible!

Thanks again for the comments
Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
GT I-Drive 5 - mud
GT Avalanche 1.0 2008 - now sold

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”