Your rants here.

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
rubertoe

Re: Your rants here.

Postby rubertoe » Sat Oct 06, 2012 08:10 am

gbsahne wrote:
CiB wrote:Rant at self. Got a bit too casual - as in completely forgot - that these fancy electric gears might be the God's own groupset of choice but they still need external power..

funny, in 30 years of cycling with gears I've never had an issue with cables running out of power or snapping for that matter.

I read that as

"oh look at me, I got Di2/EPS"

Mechanical FTW.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

suzyb

Postby suzyb » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:39 am

People who are too busy chatting / checking their phone to serve properly :evil:

I should also probably add colleagues who do something without informing others (like take a panini off the grill without telling the person who put it there).

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:51 am

Beautifu day for a ride down here. And I'm stuck with my hand in this ridonculous piece of plastic. Admittedly, even if I was fully able I still would struggle to get out for a ride as there are so many other things I should be doing, but can't.
I'm wearing my Grumpy t-shirt today.

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Sat Oct 06, 2012 13:49 pm

I did an hour on the bike this afternoon. Discovered my knee still hurts from Sunday. Bad mood.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

Torvid

Postby Torvid » Sat Oct 06, 2012 14:33 pm

Drove the almost 20 miles to the start of the ride this morning at 7am only to realise I had left my bike shoes at home.
Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3

msmancunia

Postby msmancunia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 19:46 pm

Bought two fence panels at B&Q and got to the car to find out that they won't fit in and have to be delivered on Wednesday. Apparently a Ford Focus estate isn't as big as I thought.
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

CiB

Postby CiB » Sat Oct 06, 2012 20:50 pm

rubertoe wrote:
gbsahne wrote:
CiB wrote:Rant at self. Got a bit too casual - as in completely forgot - that these fancy electric gears might be the God's own groupset of choice but they still need external power..

funny, in 30 years of cycling with gears I've never had an issue with cables running out of power or snapping for that matter.

I read that as

Mechanical FTW.

I read this as shining examples of the sort of petty envy & jealousy the absence of which I laughingly imagined was a mark of why this forum is just that bit better than a lot of others. Do keep up rubertoe - we did the electric gears discussion some months ago, 15 pages of it if I'm not much mistaken and most of it quite positive. And for the record I never had many problems with cables either, much like I never had problems watching B&W tv, or rIding steel framed bikes that weighed a ton or driving a Mk I Cortina about when I was 17. Thing is when something nicer comes along there's no reason not to buy it, even if that does trigger petty responses like these above. Apologies on my part for not being a Cat 1 racer or a pro-rider on a contract and having the temerity to try something new.

Pair of numpties. It was actually a rant about having to ride 21 miles home with limited gears. You carry on though. Pfffft.

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:31 pm

CiB - My comment was in jest and was the ramblings of a (very) jealous man.

If I had the money I wouldn't be looking at anything other than electronic shifting; and I have heard nothing but positive things about them, I am no superstar bike racer that is for sure and even someone as lowly as myself (mainly a commuter) would love to have Di2/EPS and one day that will be a reality.

I hope your now fully charged and ready to ride again with a full compliment of gears.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:17 pm

CiB wrote:Pfffft.

msmancunia wrote:Bought two fence panels at B&Q and got to the car to find out that they won't fit in and have to be delivered on Wednesday. Apparently a Ford Focus estate isn't as big as I thought.

CiB - perhaps you should be more like msmancunia (and not take a fence} :wink:
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

merkin

Postby merkin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:19 pm

To be fair, it is the rant section. And CiB certainly has done that.

A fence, offence. I see what you did there. :lol: :lol: :wink:
Edited to remove angry face accidentally added whilst rushing to dinner table.

clarkey cat

Postby clarkey cat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:21 pm

CiB wrote:
rubertoe wrote:
gbsahne wrote:

I read that as

Mechanical FTW.

I read this as shining examples of the sort of petty envy & jealousy the absence of which I laughingly imagined was a mark of why this forum is just that bit better than a lot of others. Do keep up rubertoe - we did the electric gears discussion some months ago, 15 pages of it if I'm not much mistaken and most of it quite positive. And for the record I never had many problems with cables either, much like I never had problems watching B&W tv, or rIding steel framed bikes that weighed a ton or driving a Mk I Cortina about when I was 17. Thing is when something nicer comes along there's no reason not to buy it, even if that does trigger petty responses like these above. Apologies on my part for not being a Cat 1 racer or a pro-rider on a contract and having the temerity to try something new.

Pair of numpties. It was actually a rant about having to ride 21 miles home with limited gears. You carry on though. Pfffft.

I think the word "chillax" is entirely justified here.

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:29 pm

No, CiB should rant and generally be a bit grumpy. Ever since that summary of him recently I look for the grumpy old man in all of his posts and am disappointed if it's not there.

gbsahne

Postby gbsahne » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:03 pm

rubertoe wrote:CiB - My comment was in jest and was the ramblings of a (very) jealous man.

If I had the money I wouldn't be looking at anything other than electronic shifting; and I have heard nothing but positive things about them, I am no superstar bike racer that is for sure and even someone as lowly as myself (mainly a commuter) would love to have Di2/EPS and one day that will be a reality.

I hope your now fully charged and ready to ride again with a full compliment of gears.

Mine was also meant in jest, apologies if it read otherwise.....no jealousy here though, not a chance I could afford it

CiB

Postby CiB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 18:03 pm

Some people wrote wrote:Stuff

It read like a pop at me; I treated it as such. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck & all that...
Veronese68 wrote:No, CiB should rant and generally be a bit grumpy. Ever since that summary of him recently I look for the grumpy old man in all of his posts and am disappointed if it's not there.

You can f off too. :wink:

Monday tomorrow. Hurrah. There aren't many things more difficult than buying a new k/b that's totally different in layout & feel to the one you've used for five years.

:)

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 18:28 pm

gbsahne wrote:

My front mech snapped in 2 on the way home on Thursday :) Too much power obviously! Was able put it in the big ring by hand and leave it there for the remainder.
Genesis Croix de Fer

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 19:02 pm

CiB wrote:You can f off too. :wink:

Monday tomorrow. Hurrah. There aren't many things more difficult than buying a new k/b that's totally different in layout & feel to the one you've used for five years.

How should I f off? etc
I feel your pain with the keyboard. I'm having to do everything left handed, and it's f'ing hard. Using a mouse is all wrong. Even the opening in trousers is designed to be approached from the right. And I say all of this as a left handed person.

Mr Sworld

Postby Mr Sworld » Sun Oct 07, 2012 20:11 pm

CiB wrote:Monday tomorrow. Hurrah. There aren't many things more difficult than buying a new k/b that's totally different in layout & feel to the one you've used for five years.

Now that's a first world problem if ever I heard one... :roll:

dhope

Postby dhope » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:06 pm

Went to visit the folks in Kent. Planned on riding the 60 miles back to Greenwich. Realised the jersey I packed actually hadn't been packed and was sitting on the bed at home. Train back, as a long sleeved shirt and bibs doesn't work for me :(
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Mon Oct 08, 2012 08:14 am

Veronese68 wrote:
CiB wrote:You can f off too. :wink:

How should I f off? etc
I feel your pain with the keyboard. I'm having to do everything left handed, and it's f'ing hard. Using a mouse is all wrong. Even the opening in trousers is designed to be approached from the right. And I say all of this as a left handed person.

Well thank God you can still do that right....
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:12 am

smashed the screen on my iPod last week

ordered a new on, just plugged new one in

dead as doornail, plug the old smashed one in, it work (except its smashed)

grrr cheap chinese poop!!
Keeping it classy since '83

Return to “Commuting Chat”