Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Koncordski

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Koncordski » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:12 am

First commute today after my off last week, felt fine but was more cautious than usual which is no bad thing. VB lights were very busy with bikes. Massively overdressed and was boiling by the time i got to work.
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

muzmoz

Postby muzmoz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:38 am

I never see enough people to race, so imagine my surprise last night when I caught site of 3 riders, 2 with matching club gear about 500 yds in front of me! I couldn't catch them for a mile or so, but then managed to get on the back of the group going up my least favourite hill.

I got a few glances and nods so I smiled back before being asked if I was joining them to John O Groats!! I laughed and said I would love to, but had dinner waiting for me at home.

So, initially, chuffed that I'd managed to get anywhere near a group of experienced cyclists, which then gave way to guilt that I'd got a pull, to be being pleased that I met some cool guys with a story and shared a few miles on a long road with them.

GOOD LUCK to the 3 of them, very nice chaps indeed :)

tetm

Postby tetm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:48 am

willy b wrote:Was very tempted to carry on down Grosvenor Road and race, but thought better of it :lol:

So glad you didn't, I was struggling enough to hold your wheel down Millbank!

willy b

Postby willy b » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm

tetm wrote:
willy b wrote:Was very tempted to carry on down Grosvenor Road and race, but thought better of it :lol:

It's the power of a Ribble!

Have you seen this: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ibbfraw240

Serious considering it at £175!

whitebait01

Postby whitebait01 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:02 pm

willy b wrote:
tetm wrote:

It's the power of a Ribble!

Have you seen this: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ibbfraw240

Serious considering it at £175!

Wish they did 'em in 64cm like the alu winter trainer, I'd be sorely tempted. Keeping an eye out for a big steel frame at the mo', no idea how I'd afford it or where I'd put it, but I'm sure I'd find a way...
Ribble Audax - FCN 5
Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3

willy b

Postby willy b » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:11 pm

64cm! I thought my 60cm was big, how tall are you :lol:

whitebait01

Postby whitebait01 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:14 pm

willy b wrote:64cm! I thought my 60cm was big, how tall are you :lol:

6'6".

On that note, it'd be nice if anywhere stocked size 14.5 or 15 SPD shoes (or normal shoes, for that matter).
Ribble Audax - FCN 5
Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3

willy b

Postby willy b » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:16 pm

Fair enough, You may indeed need a 64cm then. Strange that they only got upto a 58cm, unless it's slightly more compact geometry?

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Tue Oct 02, 2012 18:38 pm

Wind, rain, cold and dark.

That was lush. Couldn't stop grinning all the way home.

pitchshifter

Postby pitchshifter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:03 am

18:20 lap of the park before heading to work, luckily no SCR on the way in...

Saw WrathRob this morning blasting through a group of mopeds holding 30mph behind a police motorbike :lol: . Good speed and that Comtat is looking clean!

tetm

Postby tetm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:19 am

Anybody on here riding a white Spesh and wearing a Sky jersey between Millbank and Queen Street?

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:26 am

Left slightly late. P\/nct\/re at the end of Priory Lane slowed things down further :)

GP4000s' have had 2 now, Rubino Pro's (used quite a lot more) have had none. On the other hand, when my rear locked up on a wet patch this morning the front stayed on the road and all was well, so the GP's passed that test.

Few fast people along embankment kept things nippy so I still just about got to work on time.
Genesis Croix de Fer

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:30 am

nearly came off twice last night slipping on road markings in the wet

ive never noticed skidding before when using marathon pluses, maybe im running them too hard (100 psi) ?

sideways rain all the way home so i could hardly see

surprisingly no other bikes out
Keeping it classy since '83

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:34 am

pitchshifter wrote:18:20 lap of the park before heading to work, luckily no SCR on the way in...

Saw WrathRob this morning blasting through a group of mopeds holding 30mph behind a police motorbike :lol: . Good speed and that Comtat is looking clean!

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. They were all hanging back a bit to ensure they kept to the speed limit, allowing me to sneak through. I ran out of road before I could get the pass on the police 'bike though! I'd stripped the Comtat down last night to, successfully, get rid of a creak and gave it a wipe down at the same time. It does look good when its clean!

Made a bit of a boo-boo at Westminster. I'd been playing with a guy on a greenish Cannondale in a black and red top . I'd left him on Millbank, he'd reappeared at P'Square so it was all shaping up nicely for the rest of Embankment. Unfortunately I went the wrong side of a tipper lorry and decided that instead of trying to turn left and maybe getting squished I'd just head south over the bridge. Less pleasant ride past Waterloo and bottom of Blackfriars ensued before I cut back up through Southwark. So, no more real competition for me.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Koncordski

Postby Koncordski » Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:38 am

pitchshifter wrote:18:20 lap of the park before heading to work, luckily no SCR on the way in...

Was that past millbank, I was tailing that pack?

God it was wet and blustery last night, screaming through richmond park in the dark wind and rain is awesome fun, forgotten how much i enjoy the wet when you've got fitted guards on. 8)
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

London-Red

Postby London-Red » Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:51 am

Koncordski wrote:

Was that past millbank, I was tailing that pack?

God it was wet and blustery last night, screaming through richmond park in the dark wind and rain is awesome fun, forgotten how much i enjoy the wet when you've got fitted guards on. 8)

That's one of many jobs for this weekend. Another is deweeding the vegetable patch - the cabbage and pak choi are getting lost...

willy b

Postby willy b » Wed Oct 03, 2012 09:20 am

Saw the tall chap with FDJ shorts who usually rides a Madone last night, was on a Blue Ribble. Also saw a chap on a Cannondale in Dynamo kit. All at PS just coming off Embankment. No SCR as I turned off.

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 09:27 am

I encountered a higher-than-average number of assholes and idiots this morning.

And every one of them, I'm sorry to report, was on a bike.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 09:28 am

Big guy on a red langster and another big guy on a black surly. What do you ride cyclingprop - he turned south over lambeth bridge, so possibly taking the other route to London Bridge (I go blackfriars, up to monument and then over)

Saw someone on a Sigma but don't think it was CJCP as not red enough.

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Wed Oct 03, 2012 09:57 am

Koncordski wrote:God it was wet and blustery last night, screaming through richmond park in the dark wind and rain is awesome fun, forgotten how much i enjoy the wet when you've got fitted guards on. 8)

Love mudguards, starting to hate the Gatorskins more as their lack of grip in the wet is becoming an issue again. Maybe time for some 4 Seasons or 4000s?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Return to “Commuting Chat”