Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Il Principe

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Il Principe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 am

coriordan wrote:I took this one:
http://app.strava.com/rides/24175238#431772372

Road bike, no TT bars etc normal day. 1 tiny hold up (a second or 2 on sawyers and a second or 2 at the end).
72kg or so rider.

Elapsed Time 00:19:02
Resting Time 00:00:00
Average Speed 21.3mi/h
Average HR 175bpm
Power 217W

That's the segment I've used as well.

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 am

TGOTB wrote:
Il Principe wrote:I really want a power meter, but one that I can swap easily between bikes.

Don't rule out a crank-based one. My Power2Max (using Rotor 3D cranks and Hollowtech BB) swaps between bikes in about a minute, using 2 allen keys. No more hassle than swapping pedals imo (though admittedly not as easy as having it built into your cleats). Also means you only have to own one chainset, which is a cost saving if you build your own bikes.

Doesn't work so well if you want different chainrings though, and I haven't been brave enough to try it on the cross bike...
This non-driveside one looks intriguing: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/int ... ower-meter
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

Il Principe

Postby Il Principe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:42 am

JonGinge wrote:
TGOTB wrote:
Il Principe wrote:I really want a power meter, but one that I can swap easily between bikes.

Don't rule out a crank-based one. My Power2Max (using Rotor 3D cranks and Hollowtech BB) swaps between bikes in about a minute, using 2 allen keys. No more hassle than swapping pedals imo (though admittedly not as easy as having it built into your cleats). Also means you only have to own one chainset, which is a cost saving if you build your own bikes.

Doesn't work so well if you want different chainrings though, and I haven't been brave enough to try it on the cross bike...
This non-driveside one looks intriguing: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/int ... ower-meter

I don't want to be swapping cranks though.

Jon, I saw that one. Not sure there's a Campag compatible one available. Also, Alu cranks? :roll: :D

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 am

For that one -

Elapsed Time 00:18:57
Resting Time 00:00:00
Average Speed 21.1mi/h
Average HR 175bpm
Power 217W

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 am

Il Principe wrote:
JonGinge wrote:
TGOTB wrote:

I don't want to be swapping cranks though.

Jon, I saw that one. Not sure there's a Campag compatible one available. Also, Alu cranks? :roll: :D
Yeah, I know. Satisfies my weight-weeniness for the cervelo, though... that said I've occasionally looked at the 2012 sram red power meter but that's 1500+ quid

Planet-x Scott

Rides

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:51 am

Anyhoo, back in 2010 I did a 3LC with a powertap and was 272W ave for 54 and half minutes. Given it wasn't a windy day I suspect some of the above figures may be a bit low

Planet-x Scott

Rides

okgo

Postby okgo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 13:02 pm

Yeh they will be low.

I'd imagine for mine I did 340+ for the 49 min 3 laps. One lap at 16 min pace required 350 watts the other week.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:38 pm

Woohoo - Tailwind home. Times have changed. :D
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:41 pm

24.3mi/h 165bpm 302W - 16:28

So power tops 300w, heart rate surprisingly low. Must try harder next time.

Il Principe

Postby Il Principe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:51 pm

BigMat wrote:24.3mi/h 165bpm 302W - 16:28

So power tops 300w, heart rate surprisingly low. Must try harder next time.

I though the same - HR was 164 for my 16:46 lap. Either need to try harder or get stronger I guess!

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:56 pm

my HR is astronomical. Resting is around 80-90 and as soon as I start pedalling its up to 130. Any effort and its up to 160+ generally hanging around 170-180 (as you can see). Not really sure why. When I 1st got my HRM a few months ago, it used to spike up to 200+ and regularly be in the 190s.

okgo

Postby okgo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:04 pm

My avg hr for 3 lap challenge was around 95% I think at 189, but I seem to be able to hold it at almost max for a long time, I've had 92% or 90 mins solid on a ride. Not that it means too much of course.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:12 pm

Yeah my hr is a weird beast. I can quite happily run at c~ 165 for an hour but the second it hits 172 I feel like I'm having a stroke. Usually run lower though, around 150 if im chasing someone or 110-125 for a pootle.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:31 pm

Last time I tired to use my HR monitor is was picking up interference from god knows where and it was showing north of 200 with me at a stand still, must try it tomorrow again, I did scare the nurse when I had my asthma checkup as my resting heart rate was below "normal" tolerances, she retook it and it had gone upto 45 so she "passed" me. She did ask if I was fit, I said erm suppose so.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

reformedfatty

Postby reformedfatty » Wed Oct 10, 2012 19:22 pm

Outrageous and extremely rare bit of racing on the way home. I've not seen another cyclist that heads out my way so to run into a match on the first time I see one was surprising.

2.5 miles in and passing the old warmley station on the cycle path and I pass someone on a red specialized stopped and clipping in, and think nothing of it. A cyclist is spied ahead so I tap it out and pass him after a tiny rise where he got out of the saddle only for me to come tootling by on the hoods :)

Lights are taking an age crossing the A4 at saltford so I go over to hit the pedestrian crossing. On my way back I see the red spesh I'd passed when they were stopped flitting across the road.. dang. catch up time. hmm. Not catching.

Up hill and down dale, caught him at the next junction after about a mile of climbing. It was apparent I had the measure of him on the flat, but hills were an even match and descents he had a slight edge. Sods law the next couple of miles were some of the sketchiest wet mud + gravel descents imaginable and I'd lost sight of him.. but then.. flattens out and there he is. Beast myself trying to catch him but he's aware and is giving it some too. Switching every muscle group till its fit to explode on the hills (and achieving virtually nothing, I didn't say I was fast!) and it's down to about 75metres between us. A final descent and he disappears down a side road and the game is over.

I don't know how long your silly commuting races last, but this was 10 miles of being in touch all the way! chapeau

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/iIrl9zTQe6I

hm. judging by endomondo either I died or my heart rate monitor needs a new battery :/

clarkey cat

Postby clarkey cat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:05 pm

reformedfatty wrote:Outrageous and extremely rare bit of racing on the way home. I've not seen another cyclist that heads out my way so to run into a match on the first time I see one was surprising.

2.5 miles in and passing the old warmley station on the cycle path and I pass someone on a red specialized stopped and clipping in, and think nothing of it. A cyclist is spied ahead so I tap it out and pass him after a tiny rise where he got out of the saddle only for me to come tootling by on the hoods :)

Lights are taking an age crossing the A4 at saltford so I go over to hit the pedestrian crossing. On my way back I see the red spesh I'd passed when they were stopped flitting across the road.. dang. catch up time. hmm. Not catching.

Up hill and down dale, caught him at the next junction after about a mile of climbing. It was apparent I had the measure of him on the flat, but hills were an even match and descents he had a slight edge. Sods law the next couple of miles were some of the sketchiest wet mud + gravel descents imaginable and I'd lost sight of him.. but then.. flattens out and there he is. Beast myself trying to catch him but he's aware and is giving it some too. Switching every muscle group till its fit to explode on the hills (and achieving virtually nothing, I didn't say I was fast!) and it's down to about 75metres between us. A final descent and he disappears down a side road and the game is over.

I don't know how long your silly commuting races last, but this was 10 miles of being in touch all the way! chapeau

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/iIrl9zTQe6I

hm. judging by endomondo either I died or my heart rate monitor needs a new battery :/

Yea but wattage were you pushing out?

reformedfatty

Postby reformedfatty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 07:53 am

clarkey cat wrote:
reformedfatty wrote:snip..

Yea but wattage were you pushing out?

Finances don't stretch to a powertap or similar :(

Pufftmw

Postby Pufftmw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:11 am

Coming over Tower Bridge last night, cycle traffic light and no challengers. Car traffic was a bit heavy and I backed off coming to the 1st set of lights before Tooley St. Bloke, muttering to himself came up behind me and obviously pushed it to make it to the lights before me as they changed. He set off down TBR, legs spinning madly and weaving about. He's moving at a reasonable pace, obviously pushing hard, so I just had to... turned on the power, cranked it up to about 30 and passed him like he wasn't moving with a serene smile on my face :)

Stopped for the lights at Long Lane and the muppet catches up, weaves through all the stationary bikes, jumps the lights and nearly gets taken out by a van :roll:

ShandyH

Postby ShandyH » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:13 am

edds wrote:
Koncordski wrote:Back to this morning, caught some greens through chelsea and hit the embankment behind a guy in a white rapha top, luminous overshoes and one pannier on the right hand side. Was that you, if so thanks for the tow. I was going to have a chat at PS but you got a bit luckier with a ped-X and were gone. 8)

Luminous oversocks and gloves.. that was me. My legs were feeling heavy after yesterdays insanely fast ride home so I was hoping for a few more red lights.

Hello edds, this is the post that alerted me to your presence this morning! Good to meet you. Legs pretty dead after 3 laps of the park this morning and was meant to be keeping things in HR zone 2 which went flying out of the window when I bumped into you. No way I was going to be keeping up with your efforts this morning. Anyway, now I know how easy to spot you are, I will be keeping an eye out for you.

Also this morning, Movember man, ATG and the Chopper/Derny thing (being drafted by both). Quite an eventful morning.....

Pufftmw

Postby Pufftmw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:19 am

Further down the road, a black golf decides it wants to make a new lane, pulls into the inside and very narrowly misses side-swiping a cyclist, like a couple of inches. He then proceeds to force his way up the inside including driving over the curb where a pedestrian crossing sticks out into the road a bit :roll:

Needless to say, he gets stopped by traffic short of the Bricklayers roundabout. In the meantime, I'd gone up the outside and pulled back into the middle just as he came to a stop beside me. His window was open, so I leaned over and said "That was a w@nky bit of driving" and carried on. He sort of sat there looking at me. I'd moved about a car length away when I heard the cyclist whom he'd nearly knocked off, having a right (justified) shout at the driver. I wasn't in a position to stop, so I carried on & turned down into OKR. A few 100 meters down & golf goes past at a very muted and sedate pace, going like he was on his driving test!

Perhaps some people don't realise they drive like twunts & need telling :roll:

Return to “Commuting Chat”