Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
ShandyH

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby ShandyH » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:23 am

Oh, and I got confronted by a bloody great big stag in the middle of the road this morning. I wiggled my lights at it (manfully) and thankfully it was too busy trying to chase down a pretender to its throne so it sped off after the other stag. How fast can they move? Would you beat one unclipped off a standing start from 5-10 yards?

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:24 am

I could cry at the number of people who didn't shoulder check this morning as they pulled out to overtake another cyclist. I'm not an animated person, but at the moment the roads are a friggin nightmare. People need to be aware of what's going on all around them, not just the person in front and their immediate space. Also saw people going up the inside of a very big lorry this am... not just a stationary lorry, one that was turning. :shock:

Goes off to dream of a tale, long long ago (August), when the roads were quiet and the cycling was fun.
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

edds

Postby edds » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:27 am

ShandyH wrote:Hello edds, this is the post that alerted me to your presence this morning! Good to meet you. Legs pretty dead after 3 laps of the park this morning and was meant to be keeping things in HR zone 2 which went flying out of the window when I bumped into you. No way I was going to be keeping up with your efforts this morning. Anyway, now I know how easy to spot you are, I will be keeping an eye out for you.

Good morning. Knew those socks would get me noticed.
edd
--
FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee

hegyestomi

Postby hegyestomi » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:27 am

Pufftmw wrote:Coming over Tower Bridge last night, cycle traffic light and no challengers. Car traffic was a bit heavy and I backed off coming to the 1st set of lights before Tooley St. Bloke, muttering to himself came up behind me and obviously pushed it to make it to the lights before me as they changed. He set off down TBR, legs spinning madly and weaving about. He's moving at a reasonable pace, obviously pushing hard, so I just had to... turned on the power, cranked it up to about 30 and passed him like he wasn't moving with a serene smile on my face :)

Stopped for the lights at Long Lane and the muppet catches up, weaves through all the stationary bikes, jumps the lights and nearly gets taken out by a van :roll:

Was that by any chance a black spesh with spesh lid and glasses? I went with him a couple of days ago, he was funny...Spinning like mad and tilting the bike by about 40 degrees to each side :shock: I think he must have watched way too many proper racing..

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:43 am

Thanks to the chap in black/red/white Castelli tights who set a stonking pace out of Mitcham last night, leading to a full on 52x12 down on the drops blast down Hackbridge Road with us each taking a turn. Needed that after a rather sluggish ride and a grumbling knee.

This morning was uneventful but pleasant enough, but I'm going to really lose it one day with those weaving scooter riders on Millbank - I've seen bumblebees fly in straighter lines.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:19 am

Cold one this morning - shamless plug alert!!
Helly base layers - 60% off - merino ones only 22.50 (down from 50)

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/charlesoriordan_c055fc

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:21 am

I don't know if it was anyone on here but the two guys I was riding with last night from tower bridge all the way down tooley street, jamaica road and past surrey quays really helped me get home in a stonking time, thought I was going to pay for it this morning but I felt fresher than monday, odd! One guy had a rear light that kept switching off, I let me know at the light at the top of deptford church street and he was wearing zipvit kit was at about 8:30ish

Left late this morning, now my brakes are tightened up it doesnt feel like I am riding through treacle again.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

Bikequin

Postby Bikequin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:30 am

This morning I was tired, a little bit cold, very hungry and quite slow.
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.

Arsey

Postby Arsey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:35 am

Legs were feeling tired this morning but I managed to just about keep up with Litespeed guy from Chelsea bridge to PS. Had my new leg warmers on which are nice.
2012 Canyon Roadlite 7.0
2012 Specialized Langster

Koncordski

Postby Koncordski » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:36 am

Think I passed iPete last night after dolphin square, you were towing a couple of roadies. Shiny red SS with those funny handlebars? Would have checked it was you but I just got through the next set of lights and that seemed to break up the trailing pack. How do you find those bars to ride with?
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:14 am

Knee warmers, arm warmers ss jersey and a wind stopper gilet was all that I needed this morning, perfect. Yesterday I completely over dressed and suffered...

tetm

Postby tetm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:34 am

Paul E wrote:Knee warmers, arm warmers ss jersey and a wind stopper gilet was all that I needed this morning, perfect.

I had exactly the same, but opted for bib shorts too. My saddle chafes like hell without them.

iPete

Postby iPete » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 am

Koncordski wrote:Think I passed iPete last night after dolphin square, you were towing a couple of roadies. Shiny red SS with those funny handlebars? Would have checked it was you but I just got through the next set of lights and that seemed to break up the trailing pack. How do you find those bars to ride with?

On regular drops with road levers these days...

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:47 am

tetm wrote:
Paul E wrote:Knee warmers, arm warmers ss jersey and a wind stopper gilet was all that I needed this morning, perfect.

I had exactly the same, but opted for bib shorts too. My saddle chafes like hell without them.

:lol:
Genesis Croix de Fer

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

pangolin wrote:
tetm wrote:

Damn it!

You should man up and go saddle less

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:03 am

Paul E wrote:
pangolin wrote:
tetm wrote:

Damn it!

You should man up and go saddle less

Riding in chaps wouldn't be comfortable, surely?
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 am

I like how often the racing thread turns into the 'what shall I / did I wear?!' thread.
Genesis Croix de Fer

Koncordski

Postby Koncordski » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:01 pm

iPete wrote:
Koncordski wrote:Think I passed iPete last night after dolphin square, you were towing a couple of roadies. Shiny red SS with those funny handlebars? Would have checked it was you but I just got through the next set of lights and that seemed to break up the trailing pack. How do you find those bars to ride with?

On regular drops with road levers these days...

That would have been embarrassing then. :lol:
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Blonde Cyclist

Postby Blonde Cyclist » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:22 pm

First commute in about a month and after 3 solid weeks off because a slightly excessive travel schedule (8 flights in 12 days...) and a nasty cold hampering my return last week, I'm only hoping that was a headwind this morning. Litespeed man outfiltered me on Embankment and I lost him... Otherwise no one I really recognised. Which was good as I was using the clear space after lights as an excuse for a bit of an interval session (I haven't got longer sprints in me at the moment...). Still overtook and held most (although not all) people :)
Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)

dhope

Postby dhope » Thu Oct 11, 2012 15:35 pm

I'm missing Embankment so may do CyclingProp's trick and head down and back up this eve if I get out on time. Will be on the fixed Tempo with silly wheels
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

Return to “Commuting Chat”