Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
CookeeeMonster

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby CookeeeMonster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:07 am

Koncordski wrote:Wet and windy ride in but such a nice temperature for November. Destroyed all comers with some excellent filtering and got the hammer down along embankment. Nothing much else going on, on the approach to blackfriars ramp a range rover pulls level with me, he's going to turn left thinks I. On go the indicators, still level with me, got momentum so I up the speed and look straight through the passenger window with a "erm, really?" kind of look. Wave of apology from the driver, i drop back and move over into primary, no harm done. Caught the lights into the tunnel very nicely and was happily cruising in the mid 20's when a peppermint Bianchi appears in my peripheral vision. Now i like the sport as much as anyone but I really hate those peppermint Bianchi's. Summoned full power from the legs and made him work for it but he had the momentum, slotted in front of me which gave me enough clear air to slingshot back past. Felt very happy with my show of awesomeness, at which point he went past like his hair was on fire outside cyclesurgery. Horrible bit of road there and not really suitable for SCR so i let him have the win and took a tow all the way up the climb and he turned left after pizza express. Was hoping to continue that one once we got to the Highway.

That made me laugh out loud :) (mines black so I'm not offended ;) )
Rose PRO DX CROSS-3000
Charge Filter

MrSweary

Postby MrSweary » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:09 am

Forgive me father for I have sinned... nearly SMIDSY'd another cyclist last night on Putney Bridge changing lanes at pace. Mucho apologies at the lights and he was very civil. Good reminder not to get ahead of myself.

Bit of to and fro much in the vein of Wrath Rob's run last night. Big guy on a dirty Giant with thighs like tree trunks. I made the pass after Vauxhall Bridge because he annoyed me by failing to shoulder check and nearly taking me out. Pulled past him and a guy on a blue SS and stretched it out a bit past the Shell garage. He reeled me in after that as I hit the wall of wind (tm) and then latched right on to my wheel... about a foot back. For me this is too close so I backed off and let him come by (also I wasn't sure I had the legs to burn him off!!). We went through the Chelsea Bridge lights and wound up going down onto Chelsea Embankment - time to use my lower wind resistance!! I wound it up and made the pass keeping up about 25mph through the ped crossing. This is where my legs failed me... Oh how I was praying that the RH Road lights would go red. Did they? Did they feck! By now I was holding on by a thread so seeing the Albert Bridge lights go green wasn't exactly what I was after. I rolled through the lights scraping the bottom, lungs flapping on the hoods, knees going bandy and vision blurring just waiting for him to come back past. I got my legs back after that, prodded the lungs back in, readjusted the Steptoe knees, continued on my way and never saw him again. I like to think I burned him out - in reality he probably turned off without breaking a sweat. :roll:
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:56 am

6654henry wrote:An update about the Sainsbury's lorry incident that happened a few weeks back.

The guy was a contractor and will no longer be working for Sainsbury's in any capacity, apparently they can't control whether contractors have cycle awareness training but their drivers do.... Surely if they're wearing Sainsbury's clothing and driving a sainsbury's lorry they should be trained up to the same standard? Anyway....

They also sent me a cheque of £100 for 'my troubles'.

A fair result.

Time to find a Tesco's lorry now :wink:

Thats a pretty astonishing result, good on Sainsbury's.

I wonder if their response would have been any different if this had happened a year ago before all the campaigning.

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:19 am

Racing whippet on a Specialized Langster, dressed all in black, some facial fungus but neatly trimmed. Anyone recognise him? I wasn't in the mood this morning, which was just as well as he was happily cruising at around 25mph. Traffic lights were the only thing that kept us together from VB all the way to Mansion House
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

6654henry

Postby 6654henry » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 am

notsoblue wrote:Thats a pretty astonishing result, good on Sainsbury's.

I wonder if their response would have been any different if this had happened a year ago before all the campaigning.

Well they sh*t themselves when i mentioned cycle awareness.

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am

Morning TGOTB, lovely ride in, always nice to chat :)

When I headed off down Whitehall, a guy started racing me off the lights, I laughed, he laughed, I went ahead, he shouted 'beaten by a girl'. We got chatting at the next set of lights, and he said I must do a lot of cycling, I said 18 miles a day, and not much else (trying to change that), his commute is 16 miles per day, so not much in it boys :P

Now I just need to do some extra mileage to keep up with the rapid commuters :?
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Might take a bit more than mileage! The gap between strong women and strong men is bloody huge, a girl in my club who wins fairly often in womens races found the 3rd cat mens race very tough.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm

okgo wrote:Might take a bit more than mileage! The gap between strong women and strong men is bloody huge, a girl in my club who wins fairly often in womens races found the 3rd cat mens race very tough.

That's why I was careful to say rapid commuters, not Bradley Wiggins! Those red lights will help me out ;)

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:40 pm

What I meant was that a lot of the rapid commuters are cat 3 level (or are actually on paper like Rob for example).
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 pm

They often pretend to be on a recovery ride though, especially if the initial pass is fast enough :wink:
Genesis Croix de Fer

mozejo

Postby mozejo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:44 pm

First day back on the bike for two weeks after my incident with the bread van. Ver tentative through NKR this morning to say the least , but oh the joy of just being back on two wheels again instead of the train / drain.

6654Henry - take me through your case - I might need to adopt your approach with Mr Sunblest

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 pm

okgo wrote:What I meant was that a lot of the rapid commuters are cat 3 level (or are actually on paper like Rob for example).

Yeah, I know. I'm just enjoying thinking that if I trained more, I could get a little bit better :) There are many more girls who are faster than me, the boys are the least of my worries. I'm just playing ;)

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:49 pm

pangolin wrote:They often pretend to be on a recovery ride though, especially if the initial pass is fast enough :wink:

Of course, that old chestnut!

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

MrSweary

Postby MrSweary » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Green Brompton wrote:
okgo wrote:What I meant was that a lot of the rapid commuters are cat 3 level (or are actually on paper like Rob for example).

Yeah, I know. I'm just enjoying thinking that if I trained more, I could get a little bit better :) There are many more girls who are faster than me, the boys are the least of my worries. I'm just playing ;)

Every time I think I'm getting fast some git cruises past me on a shopper whistling and scratching their ars*... :?

Tis fun to dream though..
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

Blonde Cyclist

Postby Blonde Cyclist » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:27 pm

Morning iPete! Sorry if I held you up but nice to chat :)

Please can my excuse for today be: I still have sore legs after racing on Sunday and then deciding the best idea (with an hours rest) would be to ride over to the Velodrome and do a session there? ;) (Unless GB objects that I might be pulling the "recovery ride" card...)
Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:38 pm

Blonde Cyclist wrote:Morning iPete! Sorry if I held you up but nice to chat :)

Please can my excuse for today be: I still have sore legs after racing on Sunday and then deciding the best idea (with an hours rest) would be to ride over to the Velodrome and do a session there? ;) (Unless GB objects that I might be pulling the "recovery ride" card...)

Ah, BC, people are only ever at their optimum fitness level, and riding at their peak whenever I overtake them. (That's what I tell myself anyway.) That includes you :D

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

Blonde Cyclist

Postby Blonde Cyclist » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:43 pm

Green Brompton wrote:
Blonde Cyclist wrote:Morning iPete! Sorry if I held you up but nice to chat :)

Ah, BC, people are only ever at their optimum fitness level, and riding at their peak whenever I overtake them. (That's what I tell myself anyway.) That includes you :D

Phew!

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:44 pm

@BC, if you want a nice recovery ride, head round Richmond Park at night (before the cull), it's a worthy experience, and, if you're a scaredy 4th cat like me, you don't go very fast :)

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

Blonde Cyclist

Postby Blonde Cyclist » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:07 pm

I'm quite a scaredy 3rd :) cat and not sure my lights are bright enough for that! I'll go to club turbo tonight instead... (it's not really recovery today, just tired legs limiting and being a bit off form)

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:13 pm

Yeah, my lights were a tad rubbish round there! Other cyclists had mahoosive lights! :shock:

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

Return to “Commuting Chat”