Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Asprilla

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Asprilla » Sat Jan 19, 2013 15:57 pm

okgo wrote:What is the park like? Passable by road bike yet?

I should think so, but I turned onto the track at the first speed bump.

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:12 pm

Asprilla wrote:Thames Path, Hampton Court towpath and Richmond Park this morning was epic.

BBB Arctic Duty overshoes are highly recommended, as is the Biologic commuter flask which allowed me to stop in the park and enjoy a hot latte made with freshly ground Caravan espresso.

Currently have a road crankset on the CX and as a result I don't think I got out of the bottom half of the cassette and Kingston was the only place I got into the big ring. I need some CX rings.

I recently bought this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=70118

I'm currently running an FSA 46/36 chainset, but I've done without a front mech for the last year-and-a-half: it stays in the 36 and I just use the cassette. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd be in the 46 that often even if it was available; my legs are knackered enough as it is.

Gave it a miss this morning - needed a lie in - but planning to head out tomorrow for three laps.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

DrLex

Postby DrLex » Mon Jan 21, 2013 08:57 am

Distracted when getting kitted up this morning, I forgot to don the lid over the baabaa skull cap (Walz in wash).
Didn't realise my "The Edge"-like aspect until I arrived, which must indicate something good about the warmth of merino, the lightness & fit of my helmet, or, more likely, my lack of morning alertness.

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Jan 21, 2013 09:14 am

The roads were actually pretty good this morning, no snow or ice on my route in, and the traffic was quieter, so I was a tad impressed.

However, I was almost mowed down by a guy heading into the building site by Barnes Station, he was stationary or something on the other side of the road, I wasn't paying much attention as they were on the other side of the road facing up the hill so looked / was stationary until it decided to pull out (no indicator) to go into the drive on the other side where I was riding past, and decided to turn into the drive as I was there, literally heading straight into me pushing me backwards/sidewards and onto the pavement... What an idiot, I don't know how I got out of that one upright... :shock:

Otherwise, the ride in was pretty good.
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

okgo

Postby okgo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 09:39 am

If you want to test your bike handling skills, take the road down by Sainsburys in Kingston, the one that connects to the bottom of Lower Kings Road, still covered in snow and ice, and I decided it would be amusing to ride through it on my road bike, was all over the place haha!

Other than that, nothing to note, the park is useable, but closed acw, so I went clockwise all the way to Richmond Gate, its a bit slushy, but its ok, the downhill Sawyers is ok too if you are careful.

Apart from that all roads fine, although looks like some absoloute plumb has given it some beans in a 3 series (rwd obviously) and smashed the fck out of it on embankement, its currently on the pavement smashed to shoot.

On another note, to the tool that was in an imperial hoody on a the singlespeed, half wheeling is not only idiotic, its bloody dangerous down NKR given the amount of evasive riding that often needs to happen, so when I say either go past or sit back, don't give me a load of mouth you cnut.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

willy b

Postby willy b » Mon Jan 21, 2013 09:42 am

Side roads were quite bad, but main roads seemed ok, some corners and sides a little slippy so overall a much slower commute. Regents Park was a little iffy, so only did a few laps.

How muddy were the roads though!

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am

Was in the park yesterday.... passable fine - just a light slush on the road. Watch out for brakes icing up though!
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Did the park on Sunday on the MTB with knobbly mud tyres, rode both the shared path and the road. The shared path was pretty nasty in places with lots of compacted snow on top of ice. My mate went down a couple of times as a result. The road was fine, albeit salty.

Late in this morning due to a creaky headset needing attention (all fix thanks to Velosport, who gave me a nice cup of tea too). Not much SCR and TBH with bits of random slush in places I wasn't prepared to engage in any silliness either. A couple of roadies put up a good pace, one RLJ ninja on a white Giant was probably the quickest but once I got a run of greens he got dispatched coming past Temple.

I hope the roads stay ice free for the ride home. And the SCR cap is performing admirably.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Chippy_Minton

Postby Chippy_Minton » Mon Jan 21, 2013 13:52 pm

Wrath Rob wrote:Did the park on Sunday on the MTB with knobbly mud tyres, rode both the shared path and the road. The shared path was pretty nasty in places with lots of compacted snow on top of ice. My mate went down a couple of times as a result. .

No bike for me today - one of my fingers has stopped working due to falling off in RP :oops: . Looks like PT until I can move it enough to grip the bars and use the brakes. :(
BMC SLC01 Cosmic Carbones
Giant TCR2 Composite
98 GT Zaskar LE
http://app.strava.com/athletes/170436

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 14:03 pm

Genesis Croix de Fer

Chippy_Minton

Postby Chippy_Minton » Mon Jan 21, 2013 16:14 pm

pangolin wrote:Were you just wearing mitts??

Get some of these, no cold issues at all (other gloves are available)

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Sub-Zero-Glove_41477.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CL_VlabO-bQCFcjKtAodd3wA6Q

No I was wearing Specialized BG gloves - they are only just bearable at zero degrees.

The fall did for my finger, not the cold TBH, I must have bent it back, it felt ok at the time but I can't bend it much now, or grip anything.

Those gloves do look the business though.
BMC SLC01 Cosmic Carbones
Giant TCR2 Composite
98 GT Zaskar LE
http://app.strava.com/athletes/170436

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 16:18 pm

Ah ok. I really like my BG mitts in summer. Not tried the full finger version.

I read your original post as your finger falling off in the park (eg - getting really really cold). Sorry to hear it was you! Road or path?

I lost the ability to turn near the ballet school today, could only stay upright by going in a straight line. So I just gradually rolled off the road onto the much deeper snow, where stopping was easy. Luckily ballet school hill itself was pretty much clear or descending it wouldn't have been fun.

Just remembered, I saw a mini plough this morning too! Going through the middle to pen ponds. Less wide than a car. Nice to see we are catered for :D
Genesis Croix de Fer

pitchshifter

Postby pitchshifter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 18:30 pm

Good but brief bit of SCR over a deserted Putney bridge this evening!

Until next time!

alansd

Postby alansd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 20:24 pm

Did anyone pass through the Park this evening?
Got my first week off work in 6 months and I dont think I would trust the surrey roads for a ride but thought a few laps of the park might be a safe option!

okgo

Postby okgo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 20:26 pm

Yes I did, but didn't go up Broomfield, it still looked shut? Although it looked like someone was on the side of the road or something this evening, police etc in attendance...

Park is amazing in weather like this, saw a pair of fox cubs playing in the snow, and a great glow of the City from top of Sawyers :)
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 20:36 pm

alansd wrote:Did anyone pass through the Park this evening?
Got my first week off work in 6 months and I dont think I would trust the surrey roads for a ride but thought a few laps of the park might be a safe option!

I stuck to the trail tonight. Bit ropey in places. The road looked as ok as something can in the dark, bit there was no bike traffic down Broomfield.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

alansd

Postby alansd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 21:14 pm

might still give it a miss tomorrow then unless anyone can advise that the road is ok!

Terrible timing for a weeks annual leave!

willy b

Postby willy b » Tue Jan 22, 2013 09:26 am

Ice and frozen slush was not nice today! Had a few sketchy moments in Regents Park! No SCR and hardly any cyclists about.

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 09:34 am

I used the A3 today instead of the Park, the phone said it was -5 when I woke up, what a crock of ****, it never dropped below zero on the garmin!

Ed F

Postby Ed F » Tue Jan 22, 2013 09:42 am

To the lady I almost took out turning left onto the Embankment from Westminster Bridge: I am very sorry. However if you are going straight on over Westminster Bridge please do not use the left hand filter lane

Return to “Commuting Chat”