Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Green Brompton

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Green Brompton » Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am

kelsen wrote:
Green Brompton wrote:Well, well, well... Look who had another accident?!

Thanks Edds for stopping and chatting to make sure I was all ok. :) I was telling the police how friendly cyclists were with one another! They were surprised (in a good way!!).

Just glad it wasn't worse. Brompton for a bit, I think. Need to be patient again. Usually I am, but it's just really busy at the moment :(

Did you turn on the waterworks? Men are suckers for that sort of stuff! :wink:

Get better soon!

I did :(( What a nice guy tho. Had every right to have a go, although he seemed fine. I hate it when people I'm overtaking speed up etc. need to have a few words with myself.
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

Rolls

Postby Rolls » Wed May 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Its bloody hard work trying to keep up with you roadies on my MTB with 2.25 knoblies on!
Roll on next week when i'll be back on the slick shod cross bike!

cambs

Postby cambs » Wed May 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Bad luck GB, heal up soon. Thought i saw pulled over you on LRR but you appeared to be chatting to someone, didn't realise you had a mechanical or would have stopped.

msmancunia

Postby msmancunia » Wed May 22, 2013 13:49 pm

Sorry to hear that GB - hope you and bike are both on the mend :)
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Wed May 22, 2013 14:08 pm

Hope you're back on the bike and taking scalps soon, GB!

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Wed May 22, 2013 14:11 pm

After 2 weeks lying on a beach and another week off the bike I am already back to sub 40 min commutes and I am experimenting with taking in kit and clothes in bulk and having no rucksack days, first time this morning and it felt fantastic!
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

MrSweary

Postby MrSweary » Wed May 22, 2013 15:45 pm

Paul E wrote:After 2 weeks lying on a beach and another week off the bike I am already back to sub 40 min commutes and I am experimenting with taking in kit and clothes in bulk and having no rucksack days, first time this morning and it felt fantastic!

Ooh I wish I had this option.

GB - hope you heal up ok.
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

Mr_Ribble

Postby Mr_Ribble » Wed May 22, 2013 16:50 pm

tetm wrote:
Mr_Ribble wrote:
tetm wrote: Hello from Malaysia, where I'm stuck on a ship for the next three weeks without a bike in sight. Get the practice in whilst you can.

Stuck on a boat for three weeks you say. Is this work or some Far Eastern Cruise that appeals to western men or a certain persuasion. Will we see you on a documentary on Sky Living in six months time?

We've got 500 beds and many kilometres of chain on board, make of it what you will. This job is far too niche for Sky Living, more late night Discovery Channel, when all the stuff that's really interesting but nobody seems to care about is on!

Well there is one person who watches all that .. ME! I'm an armchair engineer, airline pilot and hell I even know how to dig for gold or make my own Moonshine !!

Mr_Ribble

Postby Mr_Ribble » Wed May 22, 2013 17:01 pm

So reading between the lines...
Green Brompton wrote:proper service, which I'd kept saying all week...

Green Brompton wrote: Saw a guy behind me, thought I'd pick up speed...

Green Brompton wrote: and landed on top of each other. I'm surprised he was so nice about it all..

Green Brompton wrote: how friendly cyclists were with one another! They were surprised (in a good way!!).

.... What? Too soon?
Mend quickly GB :)

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Wed May 22, 2013 17:36 pm

Thanks all, it's not an attractive wound, but all ok. Mr Ribble, that's how we meet & greet on the Embankment these days! Ha!
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Wed May 22, 2013 18:24 pm

Glad you're generally ok GB, hope it doesn't feel worse in the morning.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Wed May 22, 2013 19:52 pm

Green Brompton wrote:Well, well, well... Look who had another accident?! This time it was 100% my fault. My bike needs a proper service, which I'd kept saying all week, but headed into work this am, got to LRR and the chain snapped. All ok. A very nice chap stopped to help but he didn't have the right link, so I headed to Putney Cycles... They didn't have a chain, or the right link, so did a temp job and ordered a new cassette, chain etc to pick up later. I said is prob head to action bikes in town as I didn't want to ride it much further... So, carefully headed in, got to Embankment, was getting annoyed that people kept overtaking at lights etc beforehand... Saw a guy behind me, thought I'd pick up speed, got out the saddle, chain slipped (thought it had completely snapped, actually) I went and skidded into the guy overtaking and landed on top of each other. I'm surprised he was so nice about it all, he was fine. Police happened to be there, they were really lovely as well... I was a bit upset at first... But that was shock. Anyway the graze is pretty nasty and knee swollen, but all ok.

Thanks Edds for stopping and chatting to make sure I was all ok. :) I was telling the police how friendly cyclists were with one another! They were surprised (in a good way!!).

Just glad it wasn't worse. Brompton for a bit, I think. Need to be patient again. Usually I am, but it's just really busy at the moment :(

did you get a hydrocolloid pad for that?
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Wed May 22, 2013 19:54 pm

My god the windy tonight was awful so awful beautiful sunshine but freezing cold, I struggled to hit double digits
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

JZed

Postby JZed » Wed May 22, 2013 20:04 pm

itboffin wrote:My god the windy tonight was awful so awful beautiful sunshine but freezing cold, I struggled to hit double digits

It was windy but expect you'd be cruising with only 6 weeks to Marmotte.

GB heal up soon. I'm permanently in the inner chainring as my chain keeps throwing itself and had too many close calls recently were just managed to stay upright. Savlon seems to work a treat with tarmac accidents.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Wed May 22, 2013 22:23 pm

itboffin wrote:
did you get a hydrocolloid pad for that?

+1 for those, or if you can't get hold of them, one of the non-adherent dressings. Mind you, I found the bruising to be the thing that takes time to settle down.

Had a s*** day at work, so was all ready to vent some frustration on the Embankment, but it didn't really seem to happen. Wasn't slow, but no real hares to chase. :(
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Wed May 22, 2013 23:24 pm

Was colder on the way home than the forecast said it was going to be, windy in parts but no headwind as such, no competition either...
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

Blandiblub

Postby Blandiblub » Thu May 23, 2013 07:23 am

Cor, that was hard work this morning. Headwind (I'm heading west) and far colder than I expected. Glad my spidey-senses were working and I had the long sleeve top on today!
Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Thu May 23, 2013 07:32 am

Tail wind, Head Wind and side winds all at once! how is that possible?

looking forward to the same on the way home and probably a bit of water thrown in for good measure.

Still no A1000 action for me.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

willy b

Postby willy b » Thu May 23, 2013 07:43 am

Had Pitchshifter cruse past me last night on Millbank. No chase was given.

Nice looking nice actually, what model is it?

Sketchley

Postby Sketchley » Thu May 23, 2013 07:54 am

JZed wrote:
itboffin wrote:My god the windy tonight was awful so awful beautiful sunshine but freezing cold, I struggled to hit double digits

It was windy but expect you'd be cruising with only 6 weeks to Marmotte.

GB heal up soon. I'm permanently in the inner chainring as my chain keeps throwing itself and had too many close calls recently were just managed to stay upright. Savlon seems to work a treat with tarmac accidents.

Heal soon gb. When I had chain skipping problems on hybrid it was all down to a worn chainring. Got worse when I changed chained and cassette, fixed when i replaced chainring....
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Return to “Commuting Chat”