Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
LiveGiantly

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby LiveGiantly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 09:47 am

Forget SCRing - it's more like fighting with the wind at the moment!
I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!

willy b

Postby willy b » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:24 am

Agree that wind was quite tasty this morning.

Regents Park was full of limpets this morning. Just saying.

goonz

Postby goonz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:28 am

LiveGiantly wrote:
goonz wrote:I really dont appreciate headwinds, but I dont appreciate wheel sucking cnuts even more. Same wheel sucker I mentioned a few days ago turned up just as I was beginning my commute. W said 'morning' and got on our way. Lo and behold a few minutes down the road I spot his shadow right behind mine and my blood boils. I weave about a bit letting him past which he doesnt do. So I slow right down I mean any slower and I would have stopped. This is in the middle of the road no where near lights or any other obstruction and he still slows down behind me. I can hear his freewheel clicking away!

Finally he pedals past, I ride behind until we hit some lights. I dont fancy sitting behind him or riding with him near me so I have to put in an effort (which I wasnt planning on doing) just to build a gap between us. Wind was brutal but that joker spurred me on.

Didnt spot Sharky or any other competition.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Always a pleasure reading your distaste of drafters...

Dont get me wrong, I do draft at times if my legs are spent or if someone is willing to put in a shift and is fast enough. When I dont have the legs I still acknowledge the other guy and let him know that I wont be able to tow and he is more than welcome to drop me and disappear and usually after a few miles they usually do.
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

J_MCD

Postby J_MCD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:30 am

Pleasant ride in this morning just a shame about the wind being all over the place.

My new commute in takes me up Wimbledon Hill, I think I actually prefer the hills in Richmond Park, steeper but shorter and at least the scenery is nicer.

Could be a strange coincidence, but this morning, almost everyone who was being a dick was riding a yellow Carrera. Saw at least three idiots including one guy, headphones in, who wasn't even slowing down for red lights, just blasting straight through. Twunt.
Bikes:
1. Giant Defy Advanced 2
2. Montague Fit

Both well ridden, both in need of a clean...

Sharkyssurfers

Postby Sharkyssurfers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:48 am

goonz wrote:
LiveGiantly wrote:
goonz wrote:I really dont appreciate headwinds, but I dont appreciate wheel sucking cnuts even more. Same wheel sucker I mentioned a few days ago turned up just as I was beginning my commute. W said 'morning' and got on our way. Lo and behold a few minutes down the road I spot his shadow right behind mine and my blood boils. I weave about a bit letting him past which he doesnt do. So I slow right down I mean any slower and I would have stopped. This is in the middle of the road no where near lights or any other obstruction and he still slows down behind me. I can hear his freewheel clicking away!

Finally he pedals past, I ride behind until we hit some lights. I dont fancy sitting behind him or riding with him near me so I have to put in an effort (which I wasnt planning on doing) just to build a gap between us. Wind was brutal but that joker spurred me on.

Didnt spot Sharky or any other competition.

Always a pleasure reading your distaste of drafters...

Dont get me wrong, I do draft at times if my legs are spent or if someone is willing to put in a shift and is fast enough. When I dont have the legs I still acknowledge the other guy and let him know that I wont be able to tow and he is more than welcome to drop me and disappear and usually after a few miles they usually do.

won't spot me this week on lates, but in early again next week.
Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1

MrSweary

Postby MrSweary » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:35 am

Not sure I noticed any adverse wind but then I left the park around 7am so maybe it hadn't got up yet.

Blasted everyone apart from TCC man (who was wearing a helmet today). He was leaving the park at the same time as me, gave himself Priory Lane to recover them sped off the front from the LRR onwards making me feel very very slow.
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:44 am

MrSweary wrote:
Blasted everyone apart from TCC man (who was wearing a helmet today).

Black Cannondale with 50mm deep section Cosmics?

jds_1981

Postby jds_1981 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Talius wrote:Horrendous ride in. Nearly got taken out by two different vans swerving left into me to avoid traffic islands.

Maybe just me, but I know the rough locations of the traffic islands on my route and so avoid undertaking down the cycle lane in this sort of scenario?
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Talius

Postby Talius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:40 pm

jds_1981 wrote:
Talius wrote:Horrendous ride in. Nearly got taken out by two different vans swerving left into me to avoid traffic islands.

Maybe just me, but I know the rough locations of the traffic islands on my route and so avoid undertaking down the cycle lane in this sort of scenario?

Yes, but they were overtaking me, and I wasn't exactly in the middle of the lane.
Merckx EMX 5
Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10

jds_1981

Postby jds_1981 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Talius wrote:Yes, but they were overtaking me, and I wasn't exactly in the middle of the lane.

Ah, okay. I might well have done the same then - I tend to cycle on the left and assume that drivers have enough sense to plan for what is coming. Normally they do, but I am sometimes disappointed.
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Dyrlac

Postby Dyrlac » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:14 pm

LiveGiantly wrote:Forget SCRing - it's more like fighting with the wind at the moment!

I don't know, I quite appreciated the breeze giving me a gentle shove up CS7, which really saves my smashed up knee. Having just gotten back on the bike after a 5 week layoff, on my first day back I thought my rehab exercises had miraculously preserved my top end, it wasn't until my ride home that I realised the morning ride had been significantly wind assisted. :oops:

LiveGiantly

Postby LiveGiantly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:41 pm

Dyrlac wrote:
LiveGiantly wrote:Forget SCRing - it's more like fighting with the wind at the moment!

I don't know, I quite appreciated the breeze giving me a gentle shove up CS7, which really saves my smashed up knee. Having just gotten back on the bike after a 5 week layoff, on my first day back I thought my rehab exercises had miraculously preserved my top end, it wasn't until my ride home that I realised the morning ride had been significantly wind assisted. :oops:

I'm glad you came to realise this yourself otherwise this post would have started with the word - TAILWIND!!

I'm all for tailwinds BUT headwinds, crosswinds & hurricanes are a different story....

Well I'm glad your back on your bike, they say you can't keep a good man/woman (*delete as appropriate) down...

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:58 pm

And being unable to change gear is horrible, don't know how SSers do it. Must get fettling this evening.

push harder with your legs you big jessie :twisted:
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

goonz

Postby goonz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:07 pm

itboffin wrote:

And being unable to change gear is horrible, don't know how SSers do it. Must get fettling this evening.

+10
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

LiveGiantly

Postby LiveGiantly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:23 pm

itboffin wrote:

Yeh, PUSH HARDER, so hard you end up with blisters & corns on your foot.... :idea:

Talius

Postby Talius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:59 pm

Ah fugg off! I can push hard enough thank you, it was the ridiculous spinning in a stupid low gear, and the danger of becoming a retard, which worried me. :wink:
Merckx EMX 5
Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10

LiveGiantly

Postby LiveGiantly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 15:11 pm

Talius wrote:Ah fugg off! I can push hard enough thank you, it was the ridiculous spinning in a stupid low gear, and the danger of becoming a retard, which worried me. :wink:

:lol: :shock: :? :|

I'm a gear-cyclist myself but I know of quite a few SS-cyclists on here....be careful you don't start a war :idea:

rower63

Postby rower63 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 15:53 pm

Talius wrote:Ah fugg off! I can push hard enough thank you, it was the ridiculous spinning in a stupid low gear, and the danger of becoming a retard, which worried me. :wink:

in which case you should adopt bruceman's solution to the problem, 52x16 :evil:

MrSweary

Postby MrSweary » Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:14 pm

ShavedWheels wrote:
MrSweary wrote:
Blasted everyone apart from TCC man (who was wearing a helmet today).

Black Cannondale with 50mm deep section Cosmics?

Don't remember deep section cosmics but he is always on something black, no backpack and always in the drops. Turns off at Lots Road. Sometimes I can keep up with him. Sometimes not.
Last edited by MrSweary on Tue Apr 08, 2014 20:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

menthel

Postby menthel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 17:00 pm

CS7 home. No action but there was headwind.
Raynes Park ---> Victoria currently avoiding good old CS7 (I love Tooting!)
Back at it on a purple Condor Fratello Disc. RIP Italia and Scourer! Au revoir 00!

Return to “Commuting Chat”