Silly Commuter Coffee

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Mr Sworld

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby Mr Sworld » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:44 am

WGWarburton wrote:PS The children have normal names, just in case anyone's worried.. :-)

How are Tarquin and Wilhelmina? :wink:

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am

Aaaaagh - why did I even look at this thread! I've just started two weeks in the USA - I used to think countries could either make good tea (UK, China etc) or good coffee (Italy, France) but not both - the USA proves it is actually possible to be good at neither! :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:13 am

pangolin wrote:iPete, James, I use a stove top as well. Do you guys drink it neat? Add milk? Add water and milk? It's not quite as strong as expresso but it's pretty strong on it's own. I usually make it sort of a strong Americano. Half coffee, half water, then a bit of milk.

I've used those Monmouth beans as well, very nice they are too :)

This is how most Italians make coffee at home.
I take mine neat with what looks like an excess of sugar. If you add water or milk then the excess isn't quite so obvious. Gives quite the buzz. :P
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

twist83

Postby twist83 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 15:37 pm

I love coffee :) I have been dabbling for a little while now. Currently I have a French Press for work but at home I also have a Chemex, Aeropress, couple drip mugs and then my Rancillio Silvia (Pid coming soon) and Rocky Grinder.

Beans I mainly buy from Hasbean. Great variety, roasted on the day and Steve the owner is fantastic. I was in London yesterday so picked up a few at Montmouth for the Press at work. I have had them from Square Mile before and various places but Hasbean is my no 1 with Monmouth as a fall back.

twist83

Postby twist83 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 15:39 pm

Good choice Pete. The both of those are great. The Organic Espresso is very smooth.

twist83

Postby twist83 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 15:52 pm

Also I know there are a lot of Rapha haters BUT the Rapha pop up not far from Piccadily Circuis makes a very good coffee. They do actually seem to care about what they serve as well.

I love Look Mum No Hands but there coffee is good but not that good. I am a big fan of Flat White and Kaffiene though as well.

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Tue Oct 02, 2012 17:23 pm

twist83 wrote:Also I know there are a lot of Rapha haters BUT the Rapha pop up not far from Piccadily Circuis makes a very good coffee. They do actually seem to care about what they serve as well.

I love Look Mum No Hands but there coffee is good but not that good. I am a big fan of Flat White and Kaffiene though as well.

Naked coffee do the Rapha pop up don't they? I like their place just off Brick Lane.

LMNH coffee is lovely!

JamesB5446

Postby JamesB5446 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 17:30 pm

LMNH was quite nice. I was a geek and bought all the mugs they have. Not splashed out on the espresso cups yet, a bit pricey.

Met some new neighbours at the weekend. Tony was born in Italy. Went round for tea on sunday and had about 6 coffees with some spirit distilled by his cousin in a monastery. Very nice.

pangolin wrote:iPete, James, I use a stove top as well. Do you guys drink it neat?

I do now I have espresso cups.

Prior to that I was calf coffee, half hot water. No milk for me, vegan and soya milk REALLY doesn't work.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 19:54 pm

meanredspider wrote:Aaaaagh - why did I even look at this thread! I've just started two weeks in the USA - I used to think countries could either make good tea (UK, China etc) or good coffee (Italy, France) but not both - the USA proves it is actually possible to be good at neither! :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I found this situation so stressful when working in the USA that I now take my own filter kit wherever I go, sitting on the dock in the morning looking out over the Dalmatian islands with a mug of fresh Monmouth 8)

Or standing in my office on Time Sq watching the throng to-and-fro

:D
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 19:57 pm

Rapha coffee is by James in Wales http://www.jamesgourmetcoffee.com/ I think, not that i've tried it yet.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Tue Oct 02, 2012 20:22 pm

Think they've been mentioned before, but Origin Coffee in Helston do some interesting roasts.

http://www.origincoffee.co.uk/

I used to use a French Press at home, but now have one of these instead - find it works really well:

http://www.redcandy.co.uk/product-cafe- ... -maker.php

Probably not for the coffee purists though.
FCN 3 / 4

Mouth

Postby Mouth » Tue Oct 02, 2012 20:46 pm

Whatever happened to a spoon of instant and some BOILING (note: not HOT) water? We have some kind of Nescafe machine at work but it's complete and utter crap. I bought a flask and now take my own.

As for 'proper' coffee we have a filter machine and I am partial to a cup of Douwe Egberts but there's no room for it in the kitchen so back to jars of crap.

Also, I'll never forget when on my mates stag weekend I went to Costa (couldn't find a 'Bucks) and ordered a double ristretto. I was awake for a couple of days after that.

All coffee should be served black, no sugar.
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 20:54 pm

Im a big coffee lover too, have at least 1 flat white a day, current favourite was my local place Flat Cap Coffee Co. that use Square Mile, lovely stuff.

Also tried to get to most of the recommended coffee shops in London to sample thier FW's.

I like Flat white itself, Lantana near Godge Street, Monmouth and a few others. Usually go my the map on www.londoncoffeeguide.com

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 21:01 pm

When i'm feeling lazy I tend to walk to new row coffee in the next street to me, coffee's good (not Monmouth good) and the people that work there also very friendly but my goodness there's a lady in there that's simply stunning :roll:

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 21:37 pm

Hmmm, I go New Row often too, which one are you talking about? The tanned spanish lass with shoulder length dark hair? Not many women work there, 2 maybe 3?

Mr Sworld

Postby Mr Sworld » Wed Oct 03, 2012 00:26 am

Mouth wrote:Whatever happened to a spoon of instant and some BOILING (note: not HOT) water? We have some kind of Nescafe machine at work but it's complete and utter crap. I bought a flask and now take my own.

As for 'proper' coffee we have a filter machine and I am partial to a cup of Douwe Egberts but there's no room for it in the kitchen so back to jars of crap.

Also, I'll never forget when on my mates stag weekend I went to Costa (couldn't find a 'Bucks) and ordered a double ristretto. I was awake for a couple of days after that.

All coffee should be served black, no sugar.

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 09:33 am

Mouth wrote:As for 'proper' coffee we have a filter machine and I am partial to a cup of Douwe Egberts but there's no room for it in the kitchen so back to jars of crap.

If you don't have room get a stovetop (bialetti) - the 3 cup is for 1 person really and takes up almost no room. Lovely coffee. Quite cheap too.

Anyone else use an Aeropress? I'm thinking of getting one for the office to cut down on how much I spend... Add up 1 or 2 coffees a day over the month and it's a depressing % of my salary!

Genesis Croix de Fer

Mr Sworld

Postby Mr Sworld » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

I have an aeropress, they are well worth it! They make excellent coffee.

However I would advise getting yourself a really good hand grinder too. It doesn't matter how good your coffee kit is if the grind is crap.

I'd recommend the Hario Ceramic grinder.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Coffee-Mill-Ceramic-Slim/dp/B001804CLY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349259332&sr=8-2

twist83

Postby twist83 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:35 am

Mr Sworld wrote:I have an aeropress, they are well worth it! They make excellent coffee.

However I would advise getting yourself a really good hand grinder too. It doesn't matter how good your coffee kit is if the grind is crap.

I'd recommend the Hario Ceramic grinder.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Coffee-Mill-Ceramic-Slim/dp/B001804CLY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349259332&sr=8-2

As this gent said very good. Little bit time consuming depends how long you have at work... Have a look at Chemex as well. Makes a lovely filter coffee.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 16:22 pm

Went to Tapped and Packed today on Rathbone place, very nice flat white, quirky place a short walk off Oxford street.

Think I might try an Aeropress as an alternative to my cafetiere, think its the pressure im missing from trying to get a decent expresso.

Return to “Commuting Chat”