The Great Frankenbike DIY Competition

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Veronese68
Lives Here

Re: The Great Frankenbike DIY Competition

Postby Veronese68 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:33 pm

Looks good, I'm out of action for a while now (as per my tumble thread) so if you need the space don't wait for me.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Mon Oct 01, 2012 13:31 pm

SimonAH wrote:Bit of heat from a hot-air gun.
Penetrating oil (Castrol Flick is the best IMO)
Very wide bladed screwdriver to apply a little 'open' to the seat post slot.
More oil
Let sit overnight
Drill post and insert bar.
More heat
Twist post free.

An 'arris of a job if it's really in there. The problem is that metal oxide takes up more space than metal, and snuggling aluminium up to steel in a nice electrolytic bath of salty water makes it sing the galvanic corrosion song with gusto and feeling.

Next time apply at least a smear of grease!

Go easy on the twisting: seat tubes aren't designed to take torsional loads, so if you really set about it, and the post is well seized, you'll just bend the frame. IIRC Sheldon's only guaranteed method was to chop the seatpost down to an inch or so above the top of the seat tube, then slide a hacksaw blade (padsaw if you've got one or wrap the bit of the blade you are holding with something) down inside the post and carefully cut a vertical slot. Then grab one side of the top of the tube with some sturdy pliers and twist. What's left of the post should roll up, pulling away from the seat tube.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

SimonAH

Postby SimonAH » Mon Oct 01, 2012 14:30 pm

rjsterry wrote:
SimonAH wrote:Bit of heat from a hot-air gun.
Penetrating oil (Castrol Flick is the best IMO)
Very wide bladed screwdriver to apply a little 'open' to the seat post slot.
More oil
Let sit overnight
Drill post and insert bar.
More heat
Twist post free.

An 'arris of a job if it's really in there. The problem is that metal oxide takes up more space than metal, and snuggling aluminium up to steel in a nice electrolytic bath of salty water makes it sing the galvanic corrosion song with gusto and feeling.

Next time apply at least a smear of grease!

Go easy on the twisting: seat tubes aren't designed to take torsional loads, so if you really set about it, and the post is well seized, you'll just bend the frame. IIRC Sheldon's only guaranteed method was to chop the seatpost down to an inch or so above the top of the seat tube, then slide a hacksaw blade (padsaw if you've got one or wrap the bit of the blade you are holding with something) down inside the post and carefully cut a vertical slot. Then grab one side of the top of the tube with some sturdy pliers and twist. What's left of the post should roll up, pulling away from the seat tube.

Neat solution that.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:18 am

I modified my halfords BSO into something even more ugly and amazingly worse to ride, I fear it is so ugly that a lense does not yet exist capable of taking a picture.

Handles like a twitchy barge looks like the love child of a BSO MTB audax :shock: SS natch!
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 am

itboffin wrote:I modified my halfords BSO into something even more ugly and amazingly worse to ride, I fear it is so ugly that a lense does not yet exist capable of taking a picture.

Handles like a twitchy barge looks like the love child of a BSO MTB audax :shock: SS natch!

POIDH
You know thems the rules, no excuses.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am

itboffin wrote:I modified my halfords BSO into something even more ugly and amazingly worse to ride, I fear it is so ugly that a lense does not yet exist capable of taking a picture.

You can't all that and deny us all the image of said beast
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:57 pm

Its happy resting out of harms way in Paddington station.
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Boy Lard

Postby Boy Lard » Sat Oct 06, 2012 17:16 pm

I managed to buy an old Marin Nail Trail for £10. It's too big for me, but was tempted to try and turn it into some kind of single speed, too cool for school monstrosity. I have some spare mtb wheels, but they are disc specific with no rim braking surface and the frame doesn't have disc brake mounts. If I used them I'd have to put some kind of cassette on it anyway. I do have a bag full of old SLX and Deore rear mechs.

Mmmm...it's pretty Frankenbike as it is tbh.

Any suggestions welcome. It is a pretty yellow :)

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 20:33 pm

That's a bargain for £10. I really like mine and wouldn't sell it for £100. I keep mine as a hack bike and snowy commuter.

Return to “Commuting Chat”