Kindle Fire HD - What's the craic?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
BigJimmyB

Re: Kindle Fire HD - What's the craic?

Postby BigJimmyB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm

My wife and I bought her mum a Kobo for her 60th.
She doesn't use it as an e-reader (our main intention), but as a tablet only - she loves it.

£150

gtvlusso

Postby gtvlusso » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:41 pm

**Thread Hijack**

Similar situation regarding a Tab device:

I need:

7" screen
Wifi b/g/n
Bluetooth (A2P2) audio streaming
HDMI out
Android o/s
SD slot for extra storage
Possibly 3G - not a realistic 'need'.

Must be able to: Stream Music to a bluetooth device, HDMI out video to the TV (Stream internet TV/Movies), Internet, email, Games for Junior (i.e. tough build quality)

My list is:

Samsung Galaxy 7"
Google Nexus

Any other thoughts/experiences?

**Junior is getting her first bicycle for Christmas!

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Nexus 7 and Samsung anything really beats everything else on the market right now.
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 pm

What's the Samsung UI like?

I've got an iPad and an iPhone but I'm not tied to Apple at all; some of the menu navigation and their walled garden approach to apps drive me up the wall. I tried a Sony tab out the other day and after about 30s I was ready to break it in half with my forehead like some kind of game show task.

JamesB5446

Postby JamesB5446 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 13:48 pm

TailWindHome wrote:The first result on a search for Nexus 7 on Bing brings up a Sheldon Brown article on the Shimano group set.

LOL

You're using Bing.

LOL

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Wed Nov 07, 2012 13:56 pm

JamesB5446 wrote:
TailWindHome wrote:The first result on a search for Nexus 7 on Bing brings up a Sheldon Brown article on the Shimano group set.

LOL

You're using Bing.

LOL

Meh! The work laptop always defaults to Bing. Maybe I should change something somewhere but Meh!
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 14:48 pm

Bing is useful for one thing... Getting to Google.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

JamesB5446

Postby JamesB5446 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:20 pm

True talk.

I work in a school for children with learning disabilities. Our computers are set to Bing as the home page. Even the kids know to search for Google first.

CiB

Postby CiB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:28 pm

Compare the meerkat... Ten ipad mini alternatives

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Kindle is effectively a portal to Amazon, but may have misread it. Probably.

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:55 pm

CiB wrote:Compare the meerkat... Ten ipad mini alternatives

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Kindle is effectively a portal to Amazon, but may have misread it. Probably.

They gave the Sony Experia S 80%. That's the one I wanted to break.

It's UI plays the baboon's rusty trombone.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Wed Nov 07, 2012 17:54 pm

Asprilla wrote:

That's android for you and the annoying lag inducing skins they put over the top of it, that's if it detects the touch, sometimes you end up prodding the screen two or three times to get it to respond, I wouldn't touch another android device with a very big barge pole.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 18:37 pm

Paul E wrote:
Asprilla wrote:

That's android for you and the annoying lag inducing skins they put over the top of it, that's if it detects the touch, sometimes you end up prodding the screen two or three times to get it to respond, I wouldn't touch another android device with a very big barge pole.

Fair enough if you got a duff S2 and don't like Android, but implying that all android devices have bad touch screens because of that experience is pretty silly.
Genesis Croix de Fer

vermin

Postby vermin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 19:04 pm

pangolin wrote:
Paul E wrote:
Asprilla wrote:

Fair enough if you got a duff S2 and don't like Android, but implying that all android devices have bad touch screens because of that experience is pretty silly.

+1

Big difference here is the well rehearsed argument that Android can be installed by anyone onto anything compatible, from cheap tat powered by a calculator processor up to the latest and greatest tablets and smartphones (and beyond - I've installed it onto a desktop computer in the past). On useless hardware, Android is rubbish. iOS can only be installed on Apple's hardware which, if not always cutting edge, will at least be adequate and up to the task.

The other issue is that Android has far greater multi-tasking abilities. Used properly, by someone who understands the system, this is a bonus; otherwise it just leads to lag and annoyance.

For a child, I would vote for an iPad Mini, because it's child's play to use and won't go wrong. For me, it would be the epitome of frustration for a number of reasons; the itunes issue most of all.

The Nexus 7 is the best of the Androids at the moment, although that seems to change by the day. I played with a Kindle HD today; it's hardware is alright, but the skin they've put onto Android really changes it's nature from a competitive tablet to an Amazon consumption aid - bye bye high street booksellers. Only disappointment with the Nexus is the lack of SD slot - if you need that in a 7 inch tablet, see Samsung or Motorola.

Oh and my 2p on build quality: a metal back is not a sign of high quality - it is a stupid choice compared to plastic; it dents, scratches, weighs a lot, blocks signals, transmits shocks to the glass face, and is less comfortable/secure to hold.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Wed Nov 07, 2012 20:03 pm

vermin wrote:the skin they've put onto Android

What does this mean?

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Wed Nov 07, 2012 21:12 pm

It wasn't a duff S2 and I am not a novice user and I know how to shut down apps etc, it was just very disappointing even after the upgrade to ICS. I know exactly what I am talking about on this, the OS is still not mature enough and it's not consistent across it's interface so you are often hunting for buttons that even in the google made apps are in one place in one app and in another place in another app. The best app is the andriod version of google maps, that beat the cr@p out of the iOS version.

Itunes works fine for me, I plug it in and it syncs, what would annoy me is having to find the right folder for the right fils to be found by an app, now thats clunky.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

vermin

Postby vermin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 21:57 pm

Paul E wrote:Stuff

No point arguing about it. Fact is lots of people like Android, therefore it can't be as bad as its detractors make out. Choice is good.

TailWindHome wrote:
vermin wrote:the skin they've put onto Android

What does this mean?

Hardware manufacturers have the choice of either installing a stock Android operating system as produced by Google, or taking the Google system and b*ggering about with it to make it look and operate as suits them in order to differentiate their product. Amazon have done a significant amount of b*ggering to the point that, IMO, the system is completely b*ggered up. It comes down to their financial model - sell the device at cost price or below, and ensure that purchasers use it to buy lots of content from Amazon. The traditional homepage is replaced by a glossy view of the Amazon media library. Apps are accessed via a sub-menu. The Google Play store is not installed, and cannot be installed, as far as I can tell. So the only App store available is the Amazon one, which has a lesser selection. The standard Google apps are not available. Makes the device great if you just want to browse the web and easily read/watch/listen to media purchased from Amazon, but a bit rubbish if you want to use the full capabilities of an Android tablet.

apreading

Postby apreading » Thu Nov 08, 2012 00:20 am

Personally I am loving my Blackberry Playbook that I got for a silly cheap price. Now they have updated the O/S so that it can run Android Apps there is loads of stuff you can get for it too. It has by far the best browser I have seen on any mobile device and can genuinely milti-task. A beautiful screen and really easy to use too.

airbag

Postby airbag » Thu Nov 08, 2012 00:51 am

quick q - if Amazon are selling the Kindle at near to cost price, how come the Kobo e-readers are a little cheaper, with what seems to be a far more open business model?

FTR I'm looking at e-readers, leaning towards Kobo as systesms designed to lock you in to a single supplier wee-wee me right the hell off.

apreading

Postby apreading » Thu Nov 08, 2012 01:01 am

If you really want it as an e-reader then I would get one with magic ink rather than a tablet - much easier and nicer to read. You arent really locked into Amazon with the kindle - Calibre easily allows you to convert other book formats to kindle format and vice versa.

I would deffo recommend the 3g version of the kindle - free internet ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD is a fantastic bonus - no more paying for expensive data roaming or hotel wifi costs - check your email and do facebook etc for free when overseas - well worth it.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Mon Nov 19, 2012 09:52 am

I've been reading that there may be issues running Sky Go on some android tablets.

Before I pull the trigger on the Nexus can anyone give me good advice on this?

Thanks

Return to “Commuting Chat”