Any asthma sufferers?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
vermin

Re: Any asthma sufferers?

Postby vermin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 17:40 pm

That's interesting, thanks.

So for a month on my new regime, Seretide costs £40.92 and Salbutmol costs, approximately, £0.

On my old regime, Beclametasone cost £9.43 per month and Salbutamol was around £3.00 (for two inhalers).

The maths is simple. Only problem was; the medication didn't work. That's not really the point though, is it?

Oh and don't get me started on why asthmatics have to pay prescription charges whilst patients with other chronic conditions don't.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Thu Jan 31, 2013 18:21 pm

vermin wrote:Oh and don't get me started on why asthmatics have to pay prescription charges whilst patients with other chronic conditions don't.

I agree with that, when I am bad it floors me, the worst was being able to walk about 10 metres and then coughing my lungs up for 5 mins. If that isn't chronic I don't know what is
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Fri Feb 01, 2013 07:38 am

vermin wrote:Oh and don't get me started on why asthmatics have to pay prescription charges whilst patients with other chronic conditions don't.

England is so backwards isn't it? Haven't paid for prescriptions for years up here.

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 09:11 am

just noticed an inhaler i used when i was a nipper is on the banned substances list for athletes

maybe thats why i was in the athletics team when i was younger but now that i use a different inhaler i cant run ?!
Keeping it classy since '83

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Fri Feb 01, 2013 09:37 am

UndercoverElephant wrote:

England is so backwards isn't it? Haven't paid for prescriptions for years up here.

I actually don't see why we need a prescription for an inhaler at all. A few years ago I was out with some friends when I started to have a rather bad asthma attack but had no inhaler with me. It just so happened there was a chemist just opposite, I went in, it was obvious that I was struggling to breathe, and asked the pharmacist if he could let me have some ventolin. No he wouldn't! "What? Not even a couple of blasts and I'll return tomorrow with a prescription and take the same inhaler from you", I suggested, well begged more like. Nope no can do! So he watched me gasping for a breath all because I didn't have a piece of paper. I had to make my way to a hospital to be put on a nebulizer instead. Seems crazy to me when you consider I can go on holiday to Greece, Turkey, Thailand and just buy inhalers over the counter.

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 09:44 am

Cornerblock wrote:

I actually don't see why we need a prescription for an inhaler at all. A few years ago I was out with some friends when I started to have a rather bad asthma attack but had no inhaler with me. It just so happened there was a chemist just opposite, I went in, it was obvious that I was struggling to breathe, and asked the pharmacist if he could let me have some ventolin. No he wouldn't! "What? Not even a couple of blasts and I'll return tomorrow with a prescription and take the same inhaler from you", I suggested, well begged more like. Nope no can do! So he watched me gasping for a breath all because I didn't have a piece of paper. I had to make my way to a hospital to be put on a nebulizer instead. Seems crazy to me when you consider I can go on holiday to Greece, Turkey, Thailand and just buy inhalers over the counter.

to be honest to a degree i can understand their reluctance to give you an inhaler with a script.

what would happen if you had an adverse reaction to the inhaler....i know you wouldn't but - what if?

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 am

mudcow007 wrote:
Cornerblock wrote:

to be honest to a degree i can understand their reluctance to give you an inhaler with a script.

what would happen if you had an adverse reaction to the inhaler....i know you wouldn't but - what if?

I understand why he couldn't or wouldn't let me have any, but what sort of rules are they when a person could potentially drop dead in front of you with the medicine just feet away.

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:55 am

aye, gotta admit that is a pretty poor show

PedalPedant

Postby PedalPedant » Fri Feb 01, 2013 14:36 pm

Cornerblock wrote:I actually don't see why we need a prescription for an inhaler at all. A few years ago I was out with some friends when I started to have a rather bad asthma attack but had no inhaler with me. It just so happened there was a chemist just opposite, I went in, it was obvious that I was struggling to breathe, and asked the pharmacist if he could let me have some ventolin. No he wouldn't! "What? Not even a couple of blasts and I'll return tomorrow with a prescription and take the same inhaler from you", I suggested, well begged more like. Nope no can do! So he watched me gasping for a breath all because I didn't have a piece of paper. I had to make my way to a hospital to be put on a nebulizer instead. Seems crazy to me when you consider I can go on holiday to Greece, Turkey, Thailand and just buy inhalers over the counter.

Sounds like an over cautious pharmacist to me. I've managed to run out of salbutamol a couple of times when on holiday (in England) and both times I just walked into Boots and asked for one. They asked for the name and address of my doctor and let me have one for the standard prescription fee.

I don't whether they actually bothered to notify my doctor but nothing was ever said to me about it.

PP
People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.

theslowone

Postby theslowone » Fri Feb 01, 2013 15:24 pm

Mildly asthmatic here. Cycling is ok as long as its not too cold. I tend to take a puff of blue about once a ride. Worst I find is when you are gasping for breath and use blue only to inhale a wad of pocket fluff!

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Fri Feb 01, 2013 16:14 pm

theslowone wrote:Mildly asthmatic here. Cycling is ok as long as its not too cold. I tend to take a puff of blue about once a ride. Worst I find is when you are gasping for breath and use blue only to inhale a wad of pocket fluff!

Pocket fluff is a picnic, once (when I was a student) I picked up a blue inhaler and inhaled an earwig.

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 16:32 pm

Pocket fluff is a picnic, once (when I was a student) I picked up a blue inhaler and inhaled an earwig.

im not squeamish in the slightest, but that would have made me squeal like a girl

ewwwwwwwww

Return to “Commuting Chat”