Cyclists are faster than buses.

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Il Principe

Re: Cyclists are faster than buses.

Postby Il Principe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 am

Peat wrote:Don't forget to factor in getting kitted up and getting changed/washed the other end.

I never understand that argument. I shower every morning. If I take the bus/train then I shower before leaving, if I cycle I shower when I arrive...

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 am

I never understand this arguement either - surely people get dressed before the go out regardless of the transport.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:39 am

mybreakfastconsisted wrote:I need some evidence, I know it's self-evident to any commuter but I'm in an argument with a penis. Put your facts, figures and unverifiable anecdotes here.

Is this something you can't see eye to eye on?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Peat

Postby Peat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:42 am

It's quite simple.

It's about what time you are sat at your desk, ready to work. If i drive to work, i can leave the house at 7am and be beavering away by 7:30.

If i ride in, i will have to leave at 6:30am to account for the 40min ride and a shower when i get there.

(I shower in the evenings normally btw)

So, in terms of 'what is faster', i think you should include everything door-to-desk.

I try to tell that to the guy here who arrives half an hour after me everyday by bike. Then has some breakfast. Then saunters off to the showers at about 9. Finally gets doing some work about half 9 and then leaves at the same time as me. Grrrrr.

dee4life2005

Postby dee4life2005 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am

There's a bus stop about 100 yrds from my house. If I take the bus, which I haven't done in about 15 years, it would take about 40 minutes to get the 6 miles into the town centre.

If I cycle, I can get into town in about 25 minutes without even trying ... and I've managed it in 16 minutes before, without any RLJ'ing.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 am

According to the bus timetable, the bus from where I live (non-stop) to Inverness at rush hour takes 40 minutes. Trouble is, I work outside Inverness and can do the ride in summer in 50 mins. Outside rush hour, the bus takes 22 minutes - I couldn't beat that.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

TheStone

Postby TheStone » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:48 am

I'd ban buses. If you're on one, you really don't have anywhere you need to be.

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:48 am

If I ride (which I do everyday), I get to work at 7:15 (leaving at 6:10ish) and am at my desk by 7:30. If I get the bus it would take at least 2 hours and would mean leaving my home at 5:15 to get to work for 7:30 (granted I could get the tube but the question was about the bus).

The Tube takes about 1 Hour plus a 15 minute walk.
Last edited by rubertoe on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:49 am

rubertoe wrote:I never understand this arguement either - surely people get dressed before the go out regardless of the transport.

Yeeesss, but cyclists (usually) have to change clothes again when they arrive at work, and have to change before they leave. PT-bound commuters (usually) don't.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

roger merriman

Postby roger merriman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:55 am

Some buses are faster than others, some do roll around the houses and while frequent are terribly slow, while a few have more direct routes.

can in some cases be worth waiting for the fast bus as you where.

mybreakfastconsisted

Postby mybreakfastconsisted » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 am

I should have said in London. Door-to-door means your own front door, not when the bus door closes. Estate agents use journey times from when the bus or train door closes so they're promoting the new flats at Stratford as being "Ten minutes from Canary Wharf". Yes, on the Jubilee, but only if you start timing when the train door closes.

I can't imagine any bus journey in London being faster than cycling even if the bus stop's outside your front door.

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:03 am

English fry up, who are you arguing with and the journey is from where to where?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

mybreakfastconsisted

Postby mybreakfastconsisted » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 am

A penis. Any London bus route.

roger merriman

Postby roger merriman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 am

mybreakfastconsisted wrote:I should have said in London. Door-to-door means your own front door, not when the bus door closes. Estate agents use journey times from when the bus or train door closes so they're promoting the new flats at Stratford as being "Ten minutes from Canary Wharf". Yes, on the Jubilee, but only if you start timing when the train door closes.

I can't imagine any bus journey in London being faster than cycling even if the bus stop's outside your front door.

My house is on or just off the 111 Bus route, the bus is quicker most days into Kingston than my wife, on a quiet day give me a fair run for the money helped by a 1 mile stretch at 40mph with no stops.

redvee

Postby redvee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:22 am

meanredspider wrote:Is there still such a thing as a bus timetable? That would show pretty clearly. That, or ride a bus with your GPS device running and record it.

Did that when I went to the dentist last week. 9.4mph average speed. My commute is along the same route for 2 miles and much quicker.

Blacktemplar

Postby Blacktemplar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:33 am

I live just over 12 miles from my office (by bike, slightly longer by car);

1. Bike: leave at 7.15am, at desk (including shower) by 8.30am - 1hr 15 elapsed
2. Car: showered & dressed, leave 7.15am, car journey takes c. 35 mins - 55 mins elapsed
3. Bus: mile walk to nearest bus, bus journey to nearest point to work, 2.5 mile walk to office - min. 2.5hrs elapsed
4. Train: mile walk to station, have to change trains, station short walk from office - min 1.5 hrs elapsed

Conclusion: car may be marginally faster, but is (a) expensive and (b) makes me fat :wink:

Public transport is still much more expensive than using the car (excluding depreciation), and takes a frankly geological period of time to get anywhere, even in a small city like Glasgow with relatively uncongested roads.

Simples
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

mroli

Postby mroli » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:50 am

Most cyclists will be up to 23mph in about 4 - 6 seconds

"Most cyclists"? Think you are over-estimating the no of cyclists that do that...

Blacktemplar

Postby Blacktemplar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 13:22 pm

mroli wrote:Most cyclists will be up to 23mph in about 4 - 6 seconds

"Most cyclists"? Think you are over-estimating the no of cyclists that do that...

Is Cav not "most cyclists" then....? :wink:
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 13:46 pm

I used to often beat someone who lived in Kingston and worked at White City into work, I'd see him on Kings Road in Kingston, and often as I was walking out of the bike store at work, he would come down the ramp in his M3 (which is why I remembered it as its quite tasty).

As for buses, I would imagine biking is mostly quicker. The 111 is only worth getting on well outside of rush hour, otherwise you'd beat it easily.

I'd also say that commuting in Central London by scooter is no quicker than a bike, I joined embankment with a bloke on a scooter ( I remembered him as he was being terrible) and I turned off at Blackfriars at similar time. And in the evening where its been gridlocked recently I think its easily quicker on push bike.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Dec 11, 2012 13:48 pm

The TopGear race may be on YouTube
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Return to “Commuting Chat”