Bike almost stolen...

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Wrath Rob

Re: Bike almost stolen...

Postby Wrath Rob » Wed Dec 19, 2012 15:57 pm

markchalmers wrote:
vermin wrote:
markchalmers wrote:So got back from the pub last night after going for a quick drink (around an hour) Come back to find my bike sideways on the lock-frame. Just as I was unlocking my bike the rozzers turned up asking if it was my bike and a few other questions . Turns out some knobs tried to steal my bike and was caught by one of the monitored CCTV cameras. One of the 10 guys was caught and placed in custody unfortunately for me they have destroyed most of my bike :evil:

They sliced my saddle to pieces, kicked my cassette in and cut all my cables and top it all off kicked my back wheel in tis the season to be jolly right!

Bad luck.

Depending upon the strength of the evidence available, you might be able to make a civil claim against the fool and costs should be minimal as it would be a small claim. It will obviously be easier to make something stick if the police pursue it, so badger them relentlessly to press charges.

But if all that fails, I'm with walkingbootweather.

PS, where was it?

I'm new to this so what do I do just ring them and badger them with the progress of the case?

And it was in Portsmouth Town center.

My sister is with the police in Portsmouth. I wonder if she was one of the one's who you spoke to? If you want, PM me and if we can work out it was I'll ask her about it and try and keep it moving on their side.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

vermin

Postby vermin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 16:01 pm

Wrath Rob wrote:My sister is with the police in Portsmouth. I wonder if she was one of the one's who you spoke to? If you want, PM me and if we can work out it was I'll ask her about it and try and keep it moving on their side.

markchalmers

Postby markchalmers » Wed Dec 19, 2012 16:29 pm

Yeah that sounds great I would love to keep things on my side Ill PM you in a bit.

markchalmers

Postby markchalmers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Just to update I had a call from the officer that caught one of the 10 guys. He has been charged with attemped robery of a bike (cant remember the full name :/) which is good I hope he learns his lesson. Here is the best bit thought the father contacted the officer saying that he runs a bike shop and he would rectify any damages. What I don't understand about this is that hes trying to steal bikes when his dad owns a shop, unless it's one of the dodgy ones were all the stock is stolen?

Now I think my best plan of action is to get my bike looked at by LBS I purchased the bike from get a quote for parts and labor then take that to the father and get him to complete the work. My Main issue here is that unless hes a Merida dealer (doubt he is) is that he wont be able to get the original parts that I had E.G Merida saddle and also my frame is scratched to sh*t could I get a new frame added to the quote?

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Thu Dec 20, 2012 14:43 pm

"Equivalent quality or better".
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

markchalmers

Postby markchalmers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 14:46 pm

cyclingprop wrote:"Equivalent quality or better".

I wouldn't mind getting some ultegra stuff over my 105 but then I'd also like to keep my bike stock how it iss when I brought it...........a month ago.

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Fri Dec 21, 2012 13:28 pm

Sounds like the father might be someone genuinely trying to make amends. Worth a go, providing the police think the bike shop isn't dodgy. If you know the name of the shop you can do some research too and check they've got a decent reputation.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Fri Dec 21, 2012 14:00 pm

Isn't Wiggle in Portsmouth!!!!! You don't think? :shock:

SadlyBiggins

Postby SadlyBiggins » Fri Dec 21, 2012 15:05 pm

Surely it can't be their fault. Not this time.

markchalmers

Postby markchalmers » Fri Dec 21, 2012 16:54 pm

Wrath Rob wrote:Sounds like the father might be someone genuinely trying to make amends. Worth a go, providing the police think the bike shop isn't dodgy. If you know the name of the shop you can do some research too and check they've got a decent reputation.

I'm not allowed to know the dad made the request via the police and the police spoke to me. I still haven't heard anything about it I don't know when I will but If I haven't heard anything by the new year I will be taking his son to small claims court as I'm not paying because he trashed my bike.

And yeah Wiggle is about 30 mins from my house.

Return to “Commuting Chat”