Blackberry 10

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Asprilla

Re: Blackberry 10

Postby Asprilla » Wed Jan 30, 2013 19:56 pm

vermin wrote:
pangolin wrote:We have a playbook for testing at work. Abysmally unintuitive.

Only because you're not used to it though. I had a go on a Mac the other day. I wanted to send an email, so I clicked on a postage stamp icon; I got a photo gallery. I wanted to look up a contact to whom to send the email, so I clicked on a face icon; I got a file explorer. I wanted to look at a map, so I clicked on a compass icon; I got a web browser. None of that makes any sense to me, and yet Apple is held up as the epitomy of intuitive UI design.

Applauds.

Whilst I find iOS straightforward and treat it as a benchmark for all other mobile device operating systems I find OSX to be appalling, along with many of the apps that go with it.

I'm impressed with the new Blackberry and fancy working for them.

/wanders off to google to look for RIM jobs....

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 20:02 pm

Asprilla wrote:
vermin wrote:
pangolin wrote:We have a playbook for testing at work. Abysmally unintuitive.

Only because you're not used to it though. I had a go on a Mac the other day. I wanted to send an email, so I clicked on a postage stamp icon; I got a photo gallery. I wanted to look up a contact to whom to send the email, so I clicked on a face icon; I got a file explorer. I wanted to look at a map, so I clicked on a compass icon; I got a web browser. None of that makes any sense to me, and yet Apple is held up as the epitomy of intuitive UI design.

Applauds.

Whilst I find iOS straightforward and treat it as a benchmark for all other mobile device operating systems I find OSX to be appalling, along with many of the apps that go with it.

I'm impressed with the new Blackberry and fancy working for them.

/wanders off to google to look for RIM jobs....

Mmm to an extent. Have you tried the playbook Asprilla or just the phone? It really is bad. It took me several minutes to work out how to change the background pic. I wondered if I was just being slow so got a few other people to try the same thing. 2 never managed it, everyone took over a minute.

ETA - they are pretty cheap though!
Genesis Croix de Fer

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Wed Jan 30, 2013 20:14 pm

Oh I don't doubt it's terrible, I was really just arguing that OSX is also terrible and then making a really bad gag about analingus.

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 20:19 pm

Well yes there is that.
Genesis Croix de Fer

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Wed Jan 30, 2013 20:36 pm

I'm not sure OSX is that bad. Even Mrs MRS has been able to work it out. I'm a relatively recent convert to Apple and I've found it very simple. If the icons are the hardest part, I'd say that's pretty good. About the only thing I've needed to look up is the "screen grab" function.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Gazzaputt

Postby Gazzaputt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 08:26 am

Windows phone is the way.

Love my Nokia Lumia and having a proper operating system and a single account to activate everything from music to emails is great.

After this I like Andriod and a poor 3rd imo is Apple.

MrChuck

Postby MrChuck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 19:50 pm

My OH is in her second Blackberry, and whenever I pick it up I wonder why anyone still buys them (for personal use, anyway). Next to my Android (which is only a Defy on Android 2.2) the OS, usability and overall experience is like something from 10+ years ago- it's like Windows 95 next to Windows 7 or OSX. She often asks for my phone to do stuff on.

That said, it does have better battery life and I suppose the physical keyboard might be a draw to some people.
But I think it'll be very difficult for RIM to claw their way back from where they are now, even with a very very good product.

Return to “Commuting Chat”